Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Anyone with road paint removal experiance? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/39505-anyone-road-paint-removal-experiance.html)

Numinous001 06-06-2002 11:42 PM

Anyone with road paint removal experiance?

Hey it's my first post!

Anyways, while driving on the thruway about a week ago I drove by a truck that was painting lines on the middle of the road(dashed white line). It was sitting in the left lane putting up cones while painting. I drove by him on his right and continued on my way home. When I finally got out of my car I noticed little white specs of paint ALL over the drivers side of my car. This stuff is hard as a rock and no amount of cleaning is getting it off. I'm in contact with the companys insurance but what do you guys think I'm gonna end up doing? I'm hoping I don't need a whole repaint but I guess it has to be done if it cant be removed. BTW: this is my brand new 2k2 civicEX painted black no less.. has about 1400 miles on the odo =\

Pics of my brand new white speckled BLACK civic

-Numinous

neoretromax 06-07-2002 02:30 AM

a clay bar is designed to take off paint overspray, im not sure what type of paint they use on roads though. you can go buy a clay bar and do it yourself, or you can take it to any good detail shop and they'll take care of it for you.

Dustman380 06-07-2002 02:21 PM

I GOT ROAD PAINT TOOO!!!![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]

Numinous001 06-07-2002 10:00 PM

Heh, Dustman if you want to go and try the clay bar thing let me know how it works out. I'd do it myself but I can't afford it atm. I looked em up online and that are like 20 bucks for 1...gotta pay rent and eat first [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
-Numinous

Edit: Dustman, if you can figure out which company did this to your car you can file with their insurance company and have them pay for any damages...they are completly in the wrong on this one bro so at least we got that going for us. I'm already talking with the insurance company of the one that got it on my ride. You'll need details and such tho.. what time it happend, where, what location etc...

pdxbiker 06-08-2002 02:06 AM

Clay Bar may not take it off but you can try WD40 and let it sit then wipe it off. You can also use alittle paint thiner to wipe it off but make sure you clean the surface you use paint thinner on and wax it afterwards.

Numinous001 06-08-2002 09:57 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: pdxbiker
Clay Bar may not take it off but you can try WD40 and let it sit then wipe it off. You can also use alittle paint thiner to wipe it off but make sure you clean the surface you use paint thinner on and wax it afterwards.[hr]
Sounds scary... I think I'll wait til the insurance company gives me cash and I'll send it to a professional detail shop before I go putting paint thinner on my car [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] Hell from the letter I wrote to em hopefully they'll give me enough cash to get this fixed and a full detail job done [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]

-Numinous

neoretromax 06-09-2002 02:49 AM

[hr]Originally posted by: Numinous001

Clay Bar may not take it off but you can try WD40 and let it sit then wipe it off. You can also use alittle paint thiner to wipe it off but make sure you clean the surface you use paint thinner on and wax it afterwards.[hr]
Sounds scary... I think I'll wait til the insurance company gives me cash and I'll send it to a professional detail shop before I go putting paint thinner on my car [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] Hell from the letter I wrote to em hopefully they'll give me enough cash to get this fixed and a full detail job done [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]

-Numinous[hr]
good idea. paint thinner on your car is bad. very bad. naughty. dont do it.

pdxbiker 06-09-2002 03:27 AM

Paint thinner is not that bad for getting things off such as left over glue that is on your car and other things. It is actually used to remove glue off bumber stickers or decals, residue from pin stripping ....... I have been detailing cars for a while now and once in a while you may need to use paint thinner. You just have to remember not to leave it on the surface that long. Put some on a towel and rub the stain off. You can try a small part if you want but you don't have to trust me. I only use paint thinner as a last resort! when nothing else works, sometimes it may even be used on leather but you must clean and recondition the leather right away.

Numinous001 06-09-2002 08:05 PM

Paint thinner is not that bad for getting things off such as left over glue that is on your car and other things. It is actually used to remove glue off bumber stickers or decals, residue from pin stripping ....... I have been detailing cars for a while now and once in a while you may need to use paint thinner. You just have to remember not to leave it on the surface that long. Put some on a towel and rub the stain off. You can try a small part if you want but you don't have to trust me. I only use paint thinner as a last resort! when nothing else works, sometimes it may even be used on leather but you must clean and recondition the leather right away.[hr]
I beleive you..but I'd rather someone else do it, that way if they f**k it up it's not my fault [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] I'm gonna try the clay bar and see how that works out
-Numinous