Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   mcguires vs. mothers (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/37637-mcguires-vs-mothers.html)

armageddon 05-23-2002 11:09 AM

mcguires vs. mothers

Which company do you think makes better products??[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

TANK 05-23-2002 11:32 AM

McQuires! The question about it.

JSWhaler 05-23-2002 12:23 PM

this has been debated over, but to me they both seem to be on the same level. The only differences I've found in their products are: Meguire's Gold Class wax is second to none, the Meguire's quick detailer left a haze on my hood, Mothers did not. Mother's leather cleaner/conditioner is much better than Meguires, which is too thick and creamy. Both polishes and cleaner waxes seem to work just as well, only difference is the smell [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] The Meguire's tire gell stuff works really well as long as you follow the directions. Just my input from the use of these products. Hope this helps

civicdude 05-23-2002 01:55 PM

I use both Meguires and Mothers products. I use Meguires 5 minute detailer and Meguires #7 glaze, and there gold wax. I use Mothers cleaner wax. That stuff works awesome, and I like mothers aluminum polish too.

Unstoppable 05-24-2002 12:17 AM

There's so many damn products that I get mixed up with!

Ok Polish gives the car a wet look, wax is wax, what is cleaner wax? Where in the process do I use it? Before polish? After polish? etc.

OUTLAW 05-24-2002 12:26 AM

Meguiars has great products as does Mothers. Mothers makes better leather cleaner and conditioner, Meguiars makes better exterior products. I would say choose either products based on both companies reputation.

armageddon 05-24-2002 06:57 AM

thanx for the input everyone, I also dont know where in the process to use cleaner wax. can someone enlighten me.:tup:

civicdude 05-24-2002 10:20 AM

Twice a year I do a full cleaning on my car.
I start off by washing the car, and hosing it off.
Then I resoap the car, and clay bar the car.
Then I resoap the car and hose it off. This removes the clay residue that is left on the car.
Then I dry the car with a california water blade, followed by a chamois.
I wipe down the door, and trunk jams with another towel.
I then use Meguires #7 Glaze. I wipe the product on using a clean applicator in a back and forth motion. Never use a circular motion. You will create swirl marks this way, or make existing ones worse. I cover the entire car in glaze and let the product dry for 30-45 minutes. The longer you leave it on the car, the better. You need to let the oil in the glaze penetrate the paints surface.
Take a few terry cloth towels and wipe the glaze off the car. Make sure you try to wipe it off in back and forth motions. After you get the glaze off the car, go over it with a micro fiber towel. This towel will remove and glaze that the terry towels couldnt.
Next Step is to wax the paint. There are many excellent wax products on the market. Alot of people like to Use Meguires, If you do I recommend Meguires Gold. If you use Mothers, I recommend Mothers Yellow Carnuba wax, and if you like Gliptone, I recommend The Creme wax, not the Teflon wax. There are other products that I didnt mention, so use what you like.
Wipe the whole car down with wax, in a back and forth motion, using a clean applicator. Never mix applicators. You will get a scary chemical reaction.
After you wipe the whole car down, and the wax has dried to a haze, Wipe the wax off using a clean terry towel.
After you wipe the wax off, go over the car using a clean Micro Fiber towel. This will remove all the wax that the terry towel couldnt remove.
So now that the paint is all gleaming, I clean the glass.

I spray the glass down with a quality ammonia free glass cleaner. I use Spray Away. I like Aerosol glass cleaners. I then go over the glass with a piece of extra fine brillo. Not the brillo you use on your dishes. I get it at a detaing supply store. I then wipe the glass with a clean terry towel, and then wipe the glass with a clean Micro Fiber towel. The Micro Fiber towel removes all the streaks that you usually get with a regular towel. If you dont have any brillo, you can also use clay. DO NOT USE BRILLO ON YOUR MIRRORS, IT WILL SCRATCH THEM.

After the glass is done, I wipe out my wheel wells, and wheels and tires. I then polish my wheels using mothers aluminum polish and wax the rest of my rim using mothers carnuba wax.
Finally I dress my tires, using a silicon based product. I do not use Armorall or any product like it. I have found that the tires turn brown and Armorall is water soluble. This means that if it rains or you hit a puddle or you wash your car, the Armorall is removed.
If you have any questions, dont be afraid to ask...
Scott

armageddon 05-26-2002 10:54 AM

thanx for the step-by-step detail. but why do you dress your tires last?? I use the arosol foam type tire dressing. I dress them right after I dry the car so I can easly wipe over spray.

2Hottie 05-27-2002 03:47 PM

I do the same Armageddon....just easier that way to wipe off the overspray!

2 Hottie

myhonmyhonda 05-29-2002 12:04 AM

my honey just said hi to me. she is wonderful, a beautiful woman, i am proud to call MY GIRL. hon, if your reading this i just want you to know that i will always be your.....toad.

ok, guys here it is. me, personally i use mothers. all mothers products work great for me. if your not sure how to use their product just buy all their 3 phase products. simple as that. laters.

tok 06-06-2002 10:35 PM

meguiar's without a doubt. i've used there products on all my cars and im very pleased with it.

CIVICMAN67 06-07-2002 02:04 PM

I think both of them are really good products but I perfer Meguiars!

DrJEKYLL007 06-13-2002 02:48 AM

About the over spray, I use the wipes so I never have to worry about it, they cost a little more but I can keep 'em in my trunk for a quick wipe down if I want to look good rollin' some where. Besides I hear that crap can really ruin your paint.