Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Turtle Wax Crayon thing?? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/31298-turtle-wax-crayon-thing.html)

JSWhaler 04-07-2002 11:28 PM

Turtle Wax Crayon thing??

Any of you guys see the new turtle wax commercials? They show a guy scraping a car with a key and then using the Turtle Wax, crayon looking thing which covers up the scratch and then is cleaned off with no scratch showing. Anyone know if this stuff is any good or not? Just wondering cause my car is starting to pick up some minor scratches as my everyday driver.

2Hottie 04-12-2002 07:16 PM

I dunno dude...I am a bit skeptical about those commercials and products. I just basically break out the Meguiar's and put some elbow grease into it...what can I say, I am a perfectionist!

As for that scratch stuff, I have never tried it, but I know people who have and they say it isn't what it is cracked up to be...someday there will be a perfect world with no car scratches!!

Scottie :tup:

JSWhaler 04-13-2002 10:45 AM

ya I hear ya, I usually just stick w/ meguires

neoretromax 04-13-2002 05:43 PM

no man, that stuff doesn't work, at least with light colored cars. I have a white car and i tried that stuff, it put a real thin layer over the area, but i could still see the mark. It's not a very good product, and i would save your money if i were you.

2Hottie 04-13-2002 09:48 PM

Notice when the do most of these commercials that they use lighter colored cars, and you only see the piece that they are scratching, not the whole car. For all we know, it could be some rust bucket in a car graveyard somehwere in Jersey. But its all good...Meguiars is def the best...

Bethany 04-30-2002 07:21 PM

A friend tried it on a black car and it actually did make it look good for about a week but then it looked like crap again. I wouldn't recommend it.

Zaskar2k1 05-01-2002 12:46 AM

All it is, is some type of grease that sits on the car; it most definately does not work at all...cheap fix if you are turning in the car and do not want the dealer to see it [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

tenseinobi7 05-03-2002 12:19 AM

i actually just got done using some of that stuff on my mom's green suburban. obviously, nothing is going to be perfect but it actually did make the dings and chips a lot less noticeable. don't be scared to press hard with the lipstick thingy and really fill in the scratch/chip. again tho, you can't expect it to be perfect.

cierra

jro 05-04-2002 09:57 PM

i've tried it on some chips on my old car (red). it really didn't work at all. not worth the $$$
-jro

toastyghosty 05-07-2002 04:11 AM

if it's the chip stick you're talking about it comes with a coloured wax you're supposed to use on top...

i have a NBP coupe..and i've used it on some very minor rock chips... as long as you follow directions it covers pretty decently ... but just make sure your first coat of wax is the coloured wax they provide..then just put on some of your regular wax meguirs or whatever...

it lasts a few washes and does a pretty decent job of covering those annoying chips for awhile....you'll definitely know when to re-apply since it does seem to wear off after awhile...

VTEC01EX 05-08-2002 12:39 PM

I used this stuff when I traded in my old car for my Civic... that was a black finish with some stone chips. The actual "wax" in the bottle doesn't work well at all, but if you're looking for a quick fix, the "crayon" isn't bad. It's definitely not permanent though. Get a toothpick and some touch up paint and try and keep a steady hand [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]

AZ2K1Civic 05-08-2002 01:49 PM

Didnt work on my silver civic either.

DarkCivic 05-15-2002 07:31 PM

I used it on my NBP and it was OK, maybe a 4 out of 10 rating. So I got the body kit to cover my scratch. Much better.