Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   removing those spiderweb marks (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/270732-removing-those-spiderweb-marks.html)

kumanan 07-17-2006 10:42 PM

removing those spiderweb marks

hwo do you remove those spiderweb kind of marks on your car? what brand of wax do you use. My friend has a SLK55 he said benz uses a ceramic clear coat that is not susceptible to these spiderweb marks left my cleaning towels n stuff on our cars.

d-thug 07-17-2006 11:21 PM

I use, Meguiar's 3 step. Works miracle's. I had the same problem, and it took em right out. try it out. Even just the final step should work. It does miracle's. If not try scratch -X By meguiar's. take's out swirling too

Stachmo 07-17-2006 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by d-thug
I use, Meguiar's 3 step. Works miracle's. I had the same problem, and it took em right out. try it out. Even just the final step should work. It does miracle's. If not try scratch -X By meguiar's. take's out swirling too

Thats just gonna cover up the scratches temporarily. I guarantee that in a week or two (depending upon weather and number of washes) they'll be back.

Try to find someone with a buffer and use some sort of abrasive polish (like Poorboys SSR). The abrasive polish if used correctly will level out the clearcoat and truly eliminate those spiderweb marks. You could apply it by hand, but its gonna be a lot harder, and you wont get as good of results.

Originally Posted by kumanan
hwo do you remove those spiderweb kind of marks on your car? what brand of wax do you use. My friend has a SLK55 he said benz uses a ceramic clear coat that is not susceptible to these spiderweb marks left my cleaning towels n stuff on our cars.

oh, and wax isnt what will get rid of those marks. Wax only serves the purpose of protecting the finish (contrary to the belief that wax is what makes the car look good). Wax could cover up those swirls, but it wont really get rid of them.

ffokuf 07-18-2006 12:20 AM

Porter cable 7224 Dual Action Polisher and good polish/swirl remover. Meguiars and Poorboys both have a great line of products.

soonercivic 07-18-2006 08:58 AM

The meguiars 3 step will do some good but will take ALOT of effort. Your best bet, like everyone else said, is to buy a PC or have a pro do it. Then invest in some quality cleaning products like microfiber towels and a good wash mit. Also adopt the 2 bucket cleaning method. Another idea is to use Meguiars ScratchX. It will take some time and some effort, but will do the job. Make sure you start with a good wash and clay barring so you are working with a clean surface.

oh, and wax isnt what will get rid of those marks. Wax only serves the purpose of protecting the finish (contrary to the belief that wax is what makes the car look good). Wax could cover up those swirls, but it wont really get rid of them.
Your right, a typical wax won't get rid of the marks. However wax does improve the look and finish of a car when properly applied. Meguiars NXT wax contains some fillers that will hide small scratches, swirls, and cobwebs. A good coat of wax will improve the look on any car, if you preceed that with a good polish then it will be even better.

d-thug 07-18-2006 01:17 PM

Thanks for informing me, I always ASSUMED Meguiar's was the best. Thanks for the info

soonercivic 07-18-2006 01:21 PM

Meguiars is an excellent product and the only thing I use. I prefer it because it offers predictable results. They have been making car products for years and in fact more cars in the annual Concours D'Elegance use Meguiars than any other brand. Products like the Deep Crystal 3 step system are incredibly user friendly and well formulated. I still havent found a scratch remover better than ScratchX. Nothing wrong with other brands, just my preference personally and professionally.

Stachmo 07-18-2006 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by ffokuf
Porter cable 7224 Dual Action Polisher and good polish/swirl remover. Meguiars and Poorboys both have a great line of products.

The pc is #7424

where I got mine, and the cheapest that Ive seen it so far.
http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...583+1153255289

keep in mind youre gonna need some pads to go with that, so tack on at least $30-40 depending upon how intense you wanna go.

Originally Posted by soonercivic
Meguiars is an excellent product and the only thing I use. I prefer it because it offers predictable results. They have been making car products for years and in fact more cars in the annual Concours D'Elegance use Meguiars than any other brand. Products like the Deep Crystal 3 step system are incredibly user friendly and well formulated. I still havent found a scratch remover better than ScratchX. Nothing wrong with other brands, just my preference personally and professionally.

I agree that Meguiars makes some amazing stuff (Gold class wash is the mf bomb!), I just found that none of it lasts that long. Ive tried a bunch of "over the counter" cleaning stuff (like things you can find in pepboys, autozone, etc), and so far nothing has been as good as the Poorboys stuff that Ive been using.

I do need to order some more stuff soon, so I may be trying something different next time (so that I dont sound like a total Poorboys fanboy)

kumanan 07-18-2006 02:28 PM

soonercivic 07-18-2006 09:26 PM

I use the 7336SP, its the same as the 7224 but with a smaller counterweight. The vibration difference isnt even noticeable. I got it at lowes for 99 bucks.