Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Badge Removal (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/263387-badge-removal.html)

Sinisterdexter 05-27-2006 08:37 PM

Badge Removal

So I removed my Civic and Ex badge today and noticed that looked like there was no clear coat where the emblems were. I washed and waxed the area and it still looks a little bit like the emblems were there. Could it be because I have a NHBP car and it is just faded? I used an industrial sticker removed I got from Advanced auto(they didn't have Goo Gone or Goof Off but this stuff worked pretty nicely) and it worked but the faint outline is still there. Anyone have any ideas to make it look nice and smooth?

RHCP0801 05-27-2006 08:54 PM

i just removed by badges today also and it didnt leave any mark at all on the car, i do have an ssm civic tho. Im gonna wax it tomorrow but you still cant tell they were ever on, maybe its just cause of the color

Sinisterdexter 05-27-2006 08:55 PM

That's what I'm thinking. I'll take a pic of how it looks in the morning. I'm guessing that since it's a darker car colour fade is MUCH more noticible.

depotcivic 05-27-2006 09:52 PM

did you let the sticker remover product sit long enough? In direct sunlight?

Sinisterdexter 05-27-2006 10:51 PM

I let it sit for around 4 minutes like it said on the bottle. But the outline is still there. Could it be that the remover not only removed the adhesive but also the paint? I am tempted to go to my local stealership and order up two new badges and go back to normal if I can't make it look clean.

RHCP0801 05-28-2006 01:31 AM

if you do get new ones go with the 8thgencivic emblems with the longer V, they look hot

djrabbi 05-28-2006 08:13 AM

take it into a shade..... if the stuff is on their still take something sharp and wrap it around a towel and scrap it off.... did that wit mine and looks like nuttin was there, but def. wash it after

Sinisterdexter 05-28-2006 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by djrabbi
take it into a shade..... if the stuff is on their still take something sharp and wrap it around a towel and scrap it off.... did that wit mine and looks like nuttin was there, but def. wash it after

The problem is(Especially with the Ex) is that it looks like the original adhesive ate into the paint. I'm going to head out and take a pic after I have some lunch so you can see it better.

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/731...emoved15dl.jpg

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/10/...emoved25zw.jpg

You can sorta see the problem in these pics. On the Civic side you can't see anything but a VERY faint outline. But it isn't noticible at all. I couldn't get it to show up in a pic so I am not too concerned.

djrabbi 05-28-2006 12:31 PM

ohhh i see wat u mean..... nail polish remover.... let it soak a bit, but not tooo long cause i think clear coat come off....

RHCP0801 05-28-2006 01:21 PM

damn thats really noticeable, nail polish remover should work

Sinisterdexter 05-28-2006 01:22 PM

Would straight acetone work? Isn't that just what Nail Polish remover is?

phuviano 05-29-2006 03:46 PM

try polishing compound. That should do the trick.

Sinisterdexter 06-06-2006 04:44 PM

I tried Nail Polish removed and it didn't do anything. I am almost tempted to just go to Honda and get a new Ex badge. Or would it look stupid with just the ex badge?

djrabbi 06-06-2006 05:02 PM

i used my fingernail....... use nail polish remover..... then scratch it off wit ur nail....

Sinisterdexter 06-06-2006 05:27 PM

The problem is I think that it's the clear coat. Because it looks uniform except for that area.

RHCP0801 06-06-2006 07:42 PM

did you try meguiars colorX?

pon55 06-06-2006 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sinisterdexter
The problem is I think that it's the clear coat. Because it looks uniform except for that area.

If you can wait till Sunday I'll take a look at it! Might be just paint fade?

Sinisterdexter 06-06-2006 10:14 PM

I got no problem waiting untill sunday... It's just been sitting like that(I waxed it right after wards just to make sure it didn't fade at all...) And I didn't give ColorX a shot... I tried ScratchX and it didn't do much. Is it possible that the original adhesive ate through the clear coar? Or the emblem was put on before clearcoating?

pon55 06-07-2006 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sinisterdexter
I got no problem waiting untill sunday... It's just been sitting like that(I waxed it right after wards just to make sure it didn't fade at all...) And I didn't give ColorX a shot... I tried ScratchX and it didn't do much. Is it possible that the original adhesive ate through the clear coar? Or the emblem was put on before clearcoating?

I doubt that, repaint????

Sinisterdexter 06-07-2006 01:46 PM

As far as I know the car has never been repainted. On sunday you can really see how it looks... Cause it's weird and you really can't see from the pics.

Gixxer 06-07-2006 04:30 PM

Use a blow dryer and get the adhesive soft, then scratch it off with Your fingernail. Use rubbing alcohol to get the sticky residue off. If it's factory paint then there is no clearcoat, If You find there is clearcoat on the bumper then there is a good chance that it's been repaired before. In that case You can use VERY fine sand paper to blend the clear out. I like to use 1500 - 2000 grit with some soapy water.just try to stay offthe parts that don't have clear. Of course after You sand it out You need to hit the spot with some polish.

pon55 06-07-2006 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Gixxer
Use a blow dryer and get the adhesive soft, then scratch it off with Your fingernail. Use rubbing alcohol to get the sticky residue off. If it's factory paint then there is no clearcoat, If You find there is clearcoat on the bumper then there is a good chance that it's been repaired before. In that case You can use VERY fine sand paper to blend the clear out. I like to use 1500 - 2000 grit with some soapy water.just try to stay offthe parts that don't have clear. Of course after You sand it out You need to hit the spot with some polish.

??????????????????????????:tdown:

drew22mader 06-08-2006 11:11 AM

why the question marks? thats about the only smart way to do it, I removed mine but it was factory paint and just used a blow dryer and picked the rest off, then i used rubbing alcohol. So why question someone who knows what he is talking about?

pon55 06-08-2006 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by drew22mader
why the question marks? thats about the only smart way to do it, I removed mine but it was factory paint and just used a blow dryer and picked the rest off, then i used rubbing alcohol. So why question someone who knows what he is talking about?

" No clear coat"
"sandpaper"

Blowdryer, fishing line, ect is all good.

Sinisterdexter 06-08-2006 07:35 PM

I did pretty much what everyone said... I used fishing line. I used a compound to get rid of the sticky crap and it still wound up getting messed up. pon55: I'll let you have a gander at it during the meetup see what you think.