Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   what to put on headlights? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/260892-what-put-headlights.html)

def01tones 05-11-2006 01:52 PM

what to put on headlights?

i was wondering if there is any type of wax or something that i could put on my heads to keep them from getting damaged from the sun? u know how they start to get foggy or turn yellow...i dont want that. when i waxed my hood with some miguiers wax, i did the lights too but that didnt last. anything to prevent this from happening???

jackburton 05-11-2006 03:28 PM

Try some wolfgang sealant, and check out some products at autogeek.net.

def01tones 05-11-2006 04:13 PM

^^^that exactly what i was looking for. thanks

soonercivic 05-11-2006 06:56 PM

I regularly polish my lights with Meguiars PlastX. Its great at removing any yellowing and defects as well.

shroomster 05-12-2006 11:07 AM

plastix FTW but it is a repeat process...nothing you buy will be permanent

and plastix didn't get it all like the pitting but it did make it a lil less noticable...

soonercivic 05-12-2006 11:44 AM

On lights that have REALLY bad pitting and/or yellowing problems, I take my DA and turn it upside down in a vise, put the plastx on it on a polishing pad, and move the light on there. It makes it much easier and gets great results.

shroomster 05-12-2006 02:50 PM

whats a DA?

soonercivic 05-12-2006 03:23 PM

Dual Action Polisher. You will see alot of people posting PC DA, thats Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher.

MeguiarsEM2 05-22-2006 01:28 PM

What condition are the lights in? Are they oxidized to be begin with? If they are oxidize this might be the reason the wax didn't last. Waxing is pretty much all you can do to plastic head lights.

Originally Posted by def01tones
i was wondering if there is any type of wax or something that i could put on my heads to keep them from getting damaged from the sun? u know how they start to get foggy or turn yellow...i dont want that. when i waxed my hood with some miguiers wax, i did the lights too but that didnt last. anything to prevent this from happening???

urwhat 05-23-2006 09:53 PM

use plexus plastic cleaner protectant & polish. it makes clear plastic so shiny and smooth it isnt even funny. plus it isnt harsh like otehr chemicals that would make your lights scratched up/foggy. NEVER USE PAPER TOWEL ON PLASTIC! paper towel is rough and will scratch up plastic. use the cleanest cotton or better microfiber towels for plastic. its also good to use on your gauge cluster, tail lights, anything thats clear plastic. dont use it on glass. it just makes a mess and its a bitch to get off.

gearbox 05-24-2006 11:25 AM

i just use microfiber towel and wax with whatever you want. keep them new, then you wont have a problem.

jackburton 05-24-2006 12:12 PM

You ever waxed your gauge cluster or any thing in the interiorLOL

gearbox 05-24-2006 12:22 PM

no but maybe i should?

jackburton 05-24-2006 12:33 PM

I was thinking that I might try it out, I mean it would just help keep things cleaner. it would prob last awhile too.

urwhat 05-31-2006 05:12 AM

just make sure the chemical is not abrasive and will not interfere with the chemicals of the plastic.. plastic can melt or fog if you use something too harsh on it. if you have a local tap plastics. stop by there and see what they say to use. There is also this thing called novus. there is a multi step system in which you can even buff out scratches from plastic. but if you just use step one, its a cleaner/polish. i still prefer using plexus for every day cleaning though.

paramthegreat 05-31-2006 10:05 AM

I brought my civic used and the lights are foggy and yellow. I really want to bring the shine back to them. So what do you use on headlights that are already yellow to bring them back to clear

soonercivic 05-31-2006 10:44 AM

Meguiars PlastX is great. Its by far the best clear plastic cleaner I have ever used.

Here is an example of PlastX before and after.
http://meguiarsonline.com/gallery/da...019421-med.JPG

depotcivic 05-31-2006 12:25 PM

do you have to take out headlight and clean from within...

or apply from out side

soonercivic 05-31-2006 12:34 PM

On the headlights you should just do the outside. The inside should be fine.

depotcivic 05-31-2006 01:01 PM

cool shyt

jackburton 06-12-2006 12:46 PM

this just came out:
http://www.autogeek.net/plastik-lens-cleaning.html

douglase454 12-22-2013 10:21 AM

Re: what to put on headlights?

I have used Mothers, Meguiers, Turtle, and other lens cleaning kits with poor results! I am afraid of damaging the paint or over sanding the plastic! Before thaey got real bad i did use the pasticX stuff but that needed redoing every 2 weeks and eventually they got worse ( I may have missed a few cleanings) The lights were never very bright o beging with and I was thinking of replacing them and going to HID (sorry for the poor spelling - one of my weak suits)

sdaidoji 12-23-2013 08:45 AM

points for adding info. points out for reviving a body long thought dead, from 7 years ago. drop points even since car care products change a lot in a short span of time.

but-teg--98 12-25-2013 09:52 PM

Use Mother's Mag Polish. They will look brand new.