Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   My Ultimate detailing plan (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/252016-my-ultimate-detailing-plan.html)

jackburton 03-15-2006 01:04 PM

My Ultimate detailing plan

1. Wash wheels
2. Wash engine bay, not too dirty so I can use normal soap.
3. Wash car using mit and three buckets, two with soap, top and bottom half of car, and one with water, rinsing. I will be using harsh cleaner, dawn, to remove every thing from paint. I know it is bad, but it will not hurt every once and a while, plus I will be adding oils to the paint in the glazing process and polishing a good amount of clear coat off. Door jambs too. Edit: Will just use gold class shampoo, and spend mroe time claying
4. Spray with detailer while drying car with sqeegee and microfiber towels
5. Clay car with detailer and then detail to make sure all is clean
6. M#83 Dual action cleaner/polish using PC DA
7. M#80 speedglaze " "
8. M#9 swirl remover 2.0 " "
9. M#3 machine glaze " "
10. Wolfgang deep gloss sealant on paint and rims
WAIT TILL NEXT DAY
11. two coats of #26 paste wax Edit: will use Poor boys pure carnuba or gold class
12. one coat of Mothers reflections top coat
13. tire shine on tires, and engine bay, but not too much
14. Cleanest ride ever:cool:
Edited a few things.

01civicexboy 03-15-2006 01:17 PM

Sounds good...Post up some pictures!

DDragon7 03-15-2006 06:30 PM

I would wash the wheels last.

jackburton 03-15-2006 09:55 PM

couple of reasons why I do it it. One I do not have to worry about car getting dry, and if I do dry it first then it will just get wet again. And dirt from the wheels can get on clean paint.

I do not worry about water spots on my rims, I just wax over them. Sometimes I dry them along with the car, but never twice.

zachgeyer 03-15-2006 10:45 PM

damm that crazy

jackburton 03-16-2006 11:33 AM

Oh yeah this will not be done until it gets a little warmer here in MD, but it will eventually happen. I also may not use the #83 polish, I have a black car so there are plenty of swirl marks, but I dunno. Gotta think.

02blackcivic 03-25-2006 11:03 AM

sounds nice, u live in maryland?
where?
i live in southern carroll county

gearbox 03-25-2006 11:11 AM

mmm just tried nxt insane shine on the tires and wow much better than the no touch wet-n-protect I've always used. and it doesn't have petro in it either like the other crappy ones.

jackburton 03-25-2006 11:38 AM

Yeah it really is great, that was the last stuff i bought, like 4 months ago! I cannot wait till it gets warm, I cannot wash my car if it is below like 50-60 degrees. I know, I know...
Anyways, yes the nxt insane shine lasts awhile and like you said it is not petro based. It is almost like a gel, but not quite. I have always loved the look of wet tires, some people wipe it off. But I do not, however cake it on. I do wipe it off the engine bay, beccause I think that it just looks sloppy. You ever see people at car shows who spray tire shine all in their engine bay, and it is all drippy.

^Howard county, clarksville/columbia area.

gearbox 03-25-2006 11:54 AM

ya i use a towel and some spray to do the plastics. tires just sprayed on. :)

my car is ready for a show right about now haha

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...oglu/tire1.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...oglu/tire2.jpg

rckdrmr 03-25-2006 06:00 PM

make sure to have plenty of quality microfibers (one can never have enough), otherwise.... you'll be back to square one again.

drew22mader 03-25-2006 08:07 PM

I would spray the tire shine on the tires before you start waxing your car. I make sure to do that because you don't want any over spray getting on the car and then you waxing over it. Also wheel cut outs work so that you don't get shine or any drips of shine on your wheels. Balistek told me to do it, i'm for sure doing it when i get the Volks on.

If you can't help it, i wouldn't use dawn on your car. The paint cleaner or polish should get rid of everything. Or else buy something specific to removing waxes. Theres really no need for 3 buckets, 2 will do, 1 for washing and the other with water to rinse. You should see about getting a grid guard too. Also after you clay your car i would wash it again making sure you get everything off the car.

rckdrmr 03-25-2006 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by drew22mader
If you can't help it, i wouldn't use dawn on your car.

agreed, leave it for the pots and pans.

Originally Posted by drew22mader
Also after you clay your car i would wash it again making sure you get everything off the car.

no need to do that, just wipe off the excess qd. polishing will remove anything left behind.

gearbox 03-26-2006 07:24 AM

just as a heads up, i used to use #26 wax and even tried nxt, its just not that great. Doesn't last long or look any better. I've since switched to KIT (plain but lasts forever), and turtle wax ultra gloss (now this you can really see a visible difference) but only lasts maybe 4-5 months.

jackburton 03-26-2006 03:18 PM

I always use one bucket for the top and one for the bottom. Very easy and it helps. I also use the hose to spray off the mit I use.
Never had a problem with overspray. I hold it really close and and use a sponge to get it to look right.
I used to use dawn too much to remove wax, so I think I may invest in some pinaccle or wolfgang paint cleaner. BUT this time it is an easy way to get the wax off and any harm it does is limited and is going to be repaired by the time I glaze. I think it is ok for this type of once every two year job, but as a routine it is def not a good idea to use dawn.
I think I might either wash it again or use a good amount of quick detailer to make sure I get what I can off. With polishing it really is best to have a very clean surface to start with.

I used nxt, looked good to me and lasted a very long time, did you let it set up before getting it wet? A friend of mine uses it as well, and his car looks amazing and beads water like crazy, just as mine did.
I just wanted to get the #26 cause i hear good things about it, but I may just get some gold class or P21s, maybe poor boys carnuba.

gearbox 03-26-2006 03:42 PM

the tire shine is great. day2 and still shines like i just sprayed it on. :)