Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   just got tint..safe to wash car? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/251476-just-got-tint-safe-wash-car.html)

crazyasian 03-12-2006 07:02 AM

just got tint..safe to wash car?

i just got my car tinted on thurs and was wondering if it was safe to wash the car? some of the guy at my work said that it was safe to wash the car as long as i dont plan on cleaning the inside windows where the film is at. is that true? i just want to be safe so i dont screw up my tint. thx

gearbox 03-12-2006 07:32 AM

um yea the film is on the inside. what happens if it rained? just wait a few days before cleaning the inside, and when you do just use a cloth with water and then a dry cloth to wipe it off. There will be some soapy residue left from tinting.

wes-ninja250 03-12-2006 07:39 AM

LOL - I was thinking the rain thing too.

When your tint is finally ready to wash, make sure you do not use a cleaner with ammonia in it (e.g. Windex) unless the tint manufacturer *explicitly* says it's okay to do so.

Wes

mugenman 03-12-2006 07:41 AM

^ cause isnt that what turns the tint purple over time? im boned no one ever told me this and i have been using armorall window wipes on my tint for awhile now.

gearbox 03-12-2006 07:43 AM

i've always been told water only and thats what i use. I barely need to clean em anyway cause nobody puts their dirty hands all over em ha. Not sure why you would need anything but water to begin with..

z3r0o0 03-12-2006 10:23 AM

yea dats wa i do to.. use water

wes-ninja250 03-12-2006 11:16 AM

Gearbox -- wait 'till you reproduce. The places kids will stick their hands will never cease to amaze you.

Personally, I use a 10% vinegar solution. I guess that works out 0.5% acetic acid. I would use Windex, but I don't know if my tint is ammonia-safe or not (some is, most isn't)... and purple windows would really look like ass on a blue car!

crazyasian 03-12-2006 01:26 PM

ill prob use stoners invisible glass cleaner cause i know that works on tint. well its time to wash the car todai then

shmik1 03-12-2006 05:35 PM

yea i was gonna say they make bottles of stuff that advertise being safe for tint or even made for tint only..

A03 03-13-2006 08:59 AM

I asked my tint shop if invisible glass was okay to use when I had mine installed. They said it's fine, no problems with it for the kind of tint I have.

No problems yet. The stuff works pretty well for cleaning also. I NEVER touch the glass on the inside, and don't roll them down all too much.. dirt still comes off when I clean them.

About your original question.. as stated tint is on the inside. Washing the outside won't hurt it.

blackBDMcivicLX 03-13-2006 04:37 PM

I haven't tried this myself but I saw it today at Target. It was between $3-$4.
http://i2.tinypic.com/rbmq6e.jpg

soonercivic 03-13-2006 08:06 PM

^Thats what I use. Great product.

jerseydetailer 03-22-2006 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by mugenman
^ cause isnt that what turns the tint purple over time? im boned no one ever told me this and i have been using armorall window wipes on my tint for awhile now.

like the others mentioned..ammonia is what causes the discoloration in tints:giggle: its been a week...im posting this incase anyone does a search and wants some info on how to take care of new tints:rtfm: ok so first and foremost do whatever the shop tells you to do because if not you will void your warranty if you tints comes with it:rofl: usually most places offer lifetime replacement against bubbles or delamination..however if no instructions were given to you or if you didnt ask:lol: here goes dont roll you windows down for 4 days, dont clean the inside of your car for 4 days, no heat or ac for 4 days....other than that thats it:bump:

SupaCivic 03-23-2006 08:06 PM

OK guys.. .. I'm done with! Today wasn't my day. I got taken out by a FUGING Evanston cop today driving back from my dad store. Let me get straight to the point! I GOT TWO TICKETS IN A ROW! AHHHHHH I'm so pissed, this is the story. Was driving back, and evanston police pulled me over. I wasn't speeding i wasn't fooling around. I was doing the speed limit. He pulls me over for TINTS and NO front plate. I have gone 8 months with out any problems with my windows. I was expecting a warning for my plate...NEVERHAPPENED...GOT two tickets ...And i can't send in money, i have to go to court and show proof that i took the tints off and put a front plate on. I HAVE NOOOOO IDEA WHAT to do... LOOKS like my fun is oveer..ANY IDEAS.. I was thinking about the eye doctor notice thing, but i doubt that will work now that i already got the tickets. I do have pictures of my car before i had the tints, but i have no idea what will happen if i get pulled over again??? ANY INFO would help me...PLEASE..I really dont want to take the tints off but if i do i will... ALSO, what about the plates. IS THERE something i can do to get by that with court...

blackBDMcivicLX 03-23-2006 08:09 PM

Probably should start a new thread about this (^^^) to get a better responce.

soonercivic 03-23-2006 09:01 PM

If the plates are required, then you gotta have em. When it comes to the tint, the eye doctor thing might still work but its hard to say.