Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Just flooded my trunk (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/241896-just-flooded-my-trunk.html)

mrchowmein 01-10-2006 06:01 AM

Just flooded my trunk

So I had a 2.5 gallon tank of drinking water in my trunk. I bought it a few hours ago. However, when i opened my trunk just now, ive realized that tank was punctured, so theres 2.5 gallons of water in my trunk compartment. I saw water dripping out of the trunk from the outside of the car. So i got 3 rolls of paper towels and dried up as much water as i could from the spare tire compartment. Then I took out the carpeting to dry. Water also leaked into the rear seats of the cab, so i took the seats out too and dried that up. Right now, the windows are partially rolled down and i disconnected my battery to prevent anything from shorting. what else should i do? How long should i air out my car? I really dont want mildew or mold growing in the civic. =( :_doh: :_doh: :_doh:

mrchowmein 01-10-2006 06:02 AM

someone also told me i could unplug the drain in the trunk, but im not sure where it is.

hotdogpilot 01-10-2006 06:16 AM

check underneath the sound deadener, there could be a drain there

hotdogpilot 01-10-2006 06:31 AM

i dont have my 7thgen with me right now, so i cant check it. but you should look around, lift some things up and keep searching before any rusting ensues

eye_see_you 01-10-2006 06:35 AM

yea there is a plug under the sound deadining material I had a gallon of milk thrash around in mine thanks to my wife once.. it was never the same

CiViCPrAnInG2k1 01-10-2006 07:06 AM

get a heavy duty heater or drier and use that to dry out. make sure everything is dried out.

fiatdale 01-10-2006 07:11 AM

If theres still water in the trunk, get a wet/dry vac and suck as much as you can out. You can always use a hairdrier to get the rear seats, etc.

cubanmike26 01-10-2006 07:32 AM

If you can't find the drainhole and still have water in the trunk, you can get rid of the water like this:
Get a small hose(garden hose works as well), fill the hose up w/ water, cover both ends of the hose with you fingers, and intoduce one end the hose in your trunk..
The other end of the hose should be of course on the floor, gravity will take care of the rest..
Hope that helps..

hotdogpilot 01-10-2006 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by cubanmike26
If you can't find the drainhole and still have water in the trunk, you can get rid of the water like this:
Get a small hose(garden hose works as well), fill the hose up w/ water, cover both ends of the hose with you fingers, and intoduce one end the hose in your trunk..
The other end of the hose should be of course on the floor, gravity will take care of the rest..
Hope that helps..

now here's a guy who owns fish. hahah, awesome

cubanmike26 01-10-2006 08:42 AM

lol..I used to..basically the same procedure..

xHoteKx 01-10-2006 04:21 PM

now theres someone putting science to work

mrchowmein 01-10-2006 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by cubanmike26
Hope that helps..

thats how i drain my fish tank. Thanks for all the help. I did what Marge did in the simpsons with the Brawny paper towels, i just threw in 3 rolls of paper towels and that was enough to soak up the 2 gallons of water. Everything is all dry now. Ill go check again to see if any wires were near the water. If not ill reconnect the battery. should i wait a little longer for the trunk to dry? its been 12-13 hours since i dried the car. :shrug:

CiViCPrAnInG2k1 01-10-2006 06:13 PM

sheit i need to do that to my fishtank. LOL. :lol:

cubanmike26 01-10-2006 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by mrchowmein
should i wait a little longer for the trunk to dry? its been 12-13 hours since i dried the car. :shrug:

Use a blowdrier to dry the trunk