Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   good solution for smell? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/237721-good-solution-smell.html)

ryancivic 12-11-2005 01:02 PM

good solution for smell?

i found the cause of the weird smell in my civic. rear seat cushion has a brown stain on the bottom of the seat. i looked at majestic honda and they want 92 for a new cushion then they called me and said they wanted an additional 87 to ship :_doh: so i canceled the order and now im thinking about letting it sit in the hot california sun to get rid of the smell? will this work? if not any ideas ? i have a pic upon request, cant post it on here because i havent hit my 15th post yet

Yoshiemaster 12-12-2005 10:56 AM

so is it poo or just random brown stuff?

ryancivic 12-12-2005 06:14 PM

not poo. im thinkin its coffee

PunkingCivic 12-12-2005 07:20 PM

now you have 16 posts.

or create a free photo account on www.photobucket.com and use the link with [img][/img] to post the picture here.

ryancivic 12-12-2005 07:57 PM

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...22355256JcblkB

Yoshiemaster 12-12-2005 08:09 PM

whoa wtf is that, how bout a good pic.

ryancivic 12-12-2005 08:22 PM

best i can do right now in the rain. all u need to see is the stain aways. ur seeing the bottom of the rear seat with brown stain

PunkingCivic 12-12-2005 08:25 PM

what the hell is that stain from?

Is that the bottom of the rear seats?

Is it mold?

ryancivic 12-12-2005 08:29 PM

yes,, bottom of rear seats. no stain on the top of seats tho, weird

PunkingCivic 12-12-2005 08:42 PM

what does it smell like?

Musty?

If so, it might be mold. Use bleach and a spray bottle. Don't get it too wet and don't let it get on the seat fabric.

The bleach will kill the mold spores.

Then there is a bleach smell to deal with.

Get lysol or fabreeze and spray it on there one the bleach drys.

brent_01civic_e 12-13-2005 10:24 AM

i had something exactly like this in my backseat.. it was due to the bodyshop not sealiing my trunk up. As my friends said.. "It smelled like a dead hooker in my trunk". But i would check to make sure ur not getting water in ur trunk. And the nafter i got the leak fixed, i used lysol to get rid of the smell.

PunkingCivic 12-13-2005 12:06 PM

There is a reported leak near the Gas door that can lead to gas getting in the trunk.

ubiratamuniz 01-23-2006 10:07 AM

Look, I don't know how you can remove the stain.

But to remove the smell, cut an apple in 4 slices, leave them in the car, close the car. Do not open the car for at least a day (if possible, two days).

Apples are remarkable smell removers... I often use them to remove cigarette smell from my car... It works better than those "odor removers" sold in the local supermarkets.

[s]

gearbox 01-23-2006 10:41 AM

use lifter carpet spray. the stain will disappear. does the apple taste like cigs at the end? lol

ubiratamuniz 01-23-2006 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by gearbox
use lifter carpet spray. the stain will disappear. does the apple taste like cigs at the end? lol

I don't know, I never tried to eat them afterwards... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh, I forgot one thing. It's best to leave the apple slices near the source of the smell. And another thing. Its winter there, isn't? I don't know if the apple deodorizing effect is slower in the cold or if it is the same. But the damn thing works. And the apple won't stain the seats.

starredcivic 01-28-2006 12:14 PM

My favorite way to mask any smells in my car is to go out and buy a squash air freshener from either car toys or order them online from showstopperusa.com. Squash is one of my all time favorite smells and they last forever leaving your car smelling remarkable!

gearbox 01-28-2006 01:43 PM

yea i have one next to the passenger vent so the heater makes it smell all over and also one in the cup holder which kinda lost smell. i think eventually you get used to the smell even tho its still there.

SEVYN 01-29-2006 04:06 PM

squash lover for life

russdogg 01-29-2006 07:42 PM

Febreeze!!!!!

MeguiarsEM 02-01-2006 03:21 PM

I'd recommend to first clean it with an all purpose cleaner, that will remove the majority of the smell, then follow it up with Meguiar's Odor Eliminator. The odor eliminator works awesome used it on some kiddie vomit and the smell never came back.

soonercivic 02-02-2006 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by MeguiarsEM
I'd recommend to first clean it with an all purpose cleaner, that will remove the majority of the smell, then follow it up with Meguiar's Odor Eliminator. The odor eliminator works awesome used it on some kiddie vomit and the smell never came back.

Agreed. Great product.

digitaldemigod 02-08-2006 01:48 PM

You can try spraying the hell out of it with resolve. Let it sit for a few hours. repeat. Then vacuum it with a shop vac or something, then spray it with resolve again and vac again until it goes away. I've done that in other cars.

Also if it is really bad, some type of odor eating stuff like Nature's Miracle. You can get it at most pet shops. You saturate the area, cover it with saran wrap or tin foil to hold the product in so it won't evaporate, and just let it stay like that for a day or so.

CustomXSpunjah 02-24-2006 09:14 PM

does that apple trick really work? I was thinking of taking 2 apples and cutting myself 8 pieces and just leaving it overnight. I have a vanilla-blueberry airfreshener smell in my car that i want to get rid of...

ubiratamuniz 02-24-2006 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by CustomXSpunjah
does that apple trick really work? I was thinking of taking 2 apples and cutting myself 8 pieces and just leaving it overnight. I have a vanilla-blueberry airfreshener smell in my car that i want to get rid of...

It WORKS. But overnight is not enough. You have to leave them in the car for a while, say 2 days at least, preferably in the sun (the apples donīt need to be exposed to sunlight, only to heat). The most curious part is that the apples at the end of the period are only dry, they do not smell like rotten apples.

Tip: slice in thin pieces, so you can have the most "apple area" for absorbing the bad smell.

One thing that I used to do is to get a bag (not plastic, some form of tissue which allows the apples to "breathe") and leave them there. They wonīt smell bad, there is no problem at all in forgetting the apple slices there.

just donīt eat the apples afterwards, ok?

CustomXSpunjah 02-24-2006 09:45 PM

hmmm im gonna try overnight with 2 sliced up apples with very thin slices and see if it does any good. im gonna have to drive my car in the morning so i dont have 2 days i can spare

ubiratamuniz 02-25-2006 09:03 PM

I hope this will explain better about the "apple solution". I think I had some trouble explaining it correctly as English is not my native language. I found this in a forum (searching on google), which explains correctly what I was trying to say... :P

I had the same problem with the cab of a used pickup truck I purchased, so the same remedy might work.

The salesman recommended I cut a red delicious apple in half lengthwise and tuck each half under the front seats. Believe it or not, it worked after replacing the apple halves a few times. And let me tell you, the smoke smell was pretty bad in my truck.

xRiCeBoYx 02-25-2006 09:23 PM

febreeze like a motherfuker.. lol

CustomXSpunjah 02-25-2006 11:40 PM

wow after one day of leaving the apple in the sealed car it worked perfectly. I took one apple and cut it into 1/8's and placed them in various places in the car. opened up the door and there was absolutely NO sign of my previous vanilla-blueberry air freshener. Now i have to do my trunk to get rid of that brand new subwoofer smell...

ubiratamuniz 02-26-2006 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by CustomXSpunjah
wow after one day of leaving the apple in the sealed car it worked perfectly. I took one apple and cut it into 1/8's and placed them in various places in the car. opened up the door and there was absolutely NO sign of my previous vanilla-blueberry air freshener. Now i have to do my trunk to get rid of that brand new subwoofer smell...

I told you guys that would work... :) itīs a simple and cheap DIY trick. C ya!

starstryke 02-28-2006 02:01 AM

Apple.. pfft

ever try the 'just after sex' smell? it's weird but a conquest nonetheless unlike an apple.... pfft.

I'll have to give that apple thing a go