Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Chrome Lip On Wheels.. Help (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/234998-chrome-lip-wheels-help.html)

GACivic 11-14-2005 09:35 PM

Chrome Lip On Wheels.. Help

Ok so I have MSR 18" gunmetal wheels, with the chrome/billett/aluminum whatever lip. Well my lip looks like they have some sort of HAZE on them, or they are oxidizing or something. Anyone else have this problem, or know how to fix them?

I bought some "Mother's Chrome Polish" and it didn't work. Even right after I wash them, they still almost look dirty cause of the haze.

LowSky 11-14-2005 09:38 PM

if they have a machined lip then all you need is some metal polish and a good lint free towel

GACivic 11-14-2005 09:40 PM

I think I tried some metal polish on them, it was a blue color, and I rubbed it on, let it sit for a second and rubbed it back off with a towel, but it didn't seem to help. I don't know what the lip is.. Here is a picture..

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...933_3_full.jpg

Nameless 11-15-2005 01:57 AM

take a close up picture of the problem area

eyegiant 11-15-2005 02:06 AM

Did You Use Any Degreeser Or Any Other Wheel Cleaning Product?
You Can Try To Use Some Compound.

02civic_rida 11-15-2005 07:33 AM

a very very fine grid sand paper always is an option, just gotta be carefull

Nick 11-15-2005 07:40 AM

I read that most lips on wheels are anodized. U cant clean them with most regular cleaners.

Diablo 11-15-2005 08:52 AM

I have the same wheels and had the same problem. I used the mothers aluminum polish with small towel and polished the sh_t out of them. I didnt get it all out the first time but once a week i kept giving them a quick polish. and now its not noticeable.

soonercivic 11-15-2005 11:08 AM

Also you need to figure out if your aluminum is coated or if its actually just polished metal. If its polished metal then the metal polish would work just fine. If not then you will need to use a wheel cleaner, or even just a window cleaner and a cloth would work.

tuningmycivic 11-15-2005 03:32 PM

yeah, i had rims with a machined lip before too, but they had a clear coating on them too:shrug: ....i forget the wheel cleaner i was using at the time, but it ended up eating away the clear coating...i ended up taking a dremel to the wheel with the finest sanding disc i could find one weekend and removed all the clear coat by hand....LONG process (my roommate didn't come home all weekend:rofl: ) after that, i think i used either Meguiar's or Mother's metal polish and they cleaned up real nice. Good luck with yours, and I hope they're not coated!:mad:

eyegiant 11-15-2005 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by tuningmycivic
yeah, i had rims with a machined lip before too, but they had a clear coating on them too:shrug: ....i forget the wheel cleaner i was using at the time, but it ended up eating away the clear coating...i ended up taking a dremel to the wheel with the finest sanding disc i could find one weekend and removed all the clear coat by hand....LONG process (my roommate didn't come home all weekend:rofl: ) after that, i think i used either Meguiar's or Mother's metal polish and they cleaned up real nice. Good luck with yours, and I hope they're not coated!:mad:

that's why I was asking if he had used any wheel cleaner, cause that can happen, best thing for those wheel to use is soup and water nothing else.

manthatguysfast 11-15-2005 04:43 PM

at a car show i went to i bought this metal cleaner stuff...it was so fuggin awesome. the demonstrator was cleaning the bottoms of soda cans and i swear they looked like mirrors when he was done. im SO pissed though because i let my dad borrow them to clean his wheels and when i came back to get them he said he never saw them....and i have NO idea of what the hell it was called. i only got a chance to use it on my exhaust tip but it looked so clean you could eat off the mofo..haha.

it was a light greenish creme substance....if anybody recognizes it...

lemme do a quick search..

edit:wow..theres a lot of metal cleaners on yahoo! haha. i can't find the right one...but it came in a white bottleand had a black label with green/white writing....now that i think about it...my post doesn't really help ya much lol :shrug: sorry (but if i knew the product...it would most definitely work!)

scatman 11-15-2005 08:09 PM

the only things that ive ever used to clean lips are water/soap then wax. never have had a problem in 4 years. i dont fvck around with anything else.

GACivic 11-15-2005 09:44 PM

All I use is soap/water. But it's that Turtle Wax soap that has like a wax in it.. I don't know if that could be doing it. Next time I wash it, I'll take pics and show you EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

soonercivic 11-16-2005 08:53 AM

So you use the wax as you wash soap? Just a tip, if your using that to protect your finish then you arent doing enough. Nothing beats a real coat of wax. But when it comes to the wheels, i take mine off twice a year and wax them when i wax my car. It makes the brake dust and crap wash off easier. I just maintain them with a regular car soap and water, then use a glass cleaner on the lip to get rid of streaks and spots.

manthatguysfast 12-02-2005 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Manthatguysfast
at a car show i went to i bought this metal cleaner stuff...it was so fuggin awesome. the demonstrator was cleaning the bottoms of soda cans and i swear they looked like mirrors when he was done. im SO pissed though because i let my dad borrow them to clean his wheels and when i came back to get them he said he never saw them....and i have NO idea of what the hell it was called. i only got a chance to use it on my exhaust tip but it looked so clean you could eat off the mofo..haha.

it was a light greenish creme substance....if anybody recognizes it...

lemme do a quick search..

edit:wow..theres a lot of metal cleaners on yahoo! haha. i can't find the right one...but it came in a white bottleand had a black label with green/white writing....now that i think about it...my post doesn't really help ya much lol :shrug: sorry (but if i knew the product...it would most definitely work!)

this has been bugging me since i posted this! i couldnt stop trying to remember the name. well, i couldn't remember, BUT i found the stuff at my parents house! its called Metal gloss.. www.metalgloss.com get both the gloss and sealer. i swear the stuff is awesome! i think i paid like 26 for both because thats all the cash i had on me by the end of the car show and the guy just gave me a 4 buck discount haha.