Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Just waxed my car with "Mothers" clay bar (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/233725-just-waxed-my-car-mothers-clay-bar.html)

dru106 11-02-2005 08:34 PM

Just waxed my car with "Mothers" clay bar

OMG!!!! This stuff works like magic!!! I bought it today at work for $15 and this is the 1st time that a wax took off all the little black spots on my car!! I spent so much on diff brands of wax even meguiars and none of those products were able to remove em. You guys gotta try this stuff!! Its really worth it!!

A03 11-03-2005 07:48 AM

Isn't the clay bar just for treating small spots that need to be smoothed down? I didn't think you were supposed to do the whole car with it! ???

soonercivic 11-03-2005 01:51 PM

The mothers clay is a little more aggressive than the Meguiars clay you will find in most stores. The nice thing about the meguiars is that they make 3 different levels of aggresiveness. Its a good idea to do the whole car periodically because that will remove all the contaminates and old wax etc. on the surface. Smooth as glass!

YUL 11-03-2005 02:01 PM

yea, i clay twice a year. well worth it.

soonercivic 11-04-2005 05:11 PM

I just realized that you called the clay bar a wax. A clay bar is not a wax and will provide no protection on the surface. It is strictly used to remove surface contaminates and old waxes. So unless you re-wax after using the clay bar, you actually have less surface protection than you did before you started. Hopefully you realized this and its just a typo, but I thought I would include this for anyone who may look at it and not realize the difference. Also always make sure you use a pure polish on the vehicle after claying and before waxing.

yourinmyw0rld 11-04-2005 08:44 PM

Oh its going to rain too

trungly25 11-12-2005 12:45 AM

yup that is some good quality wax

jaredn 12-05-2005 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by A03
Isn't the clay bar just for treating small spots that need to be smoothed down? I didn't think you were supposed to do the whole car with it! ???

i washed my car with california's gold, clayed the entire car until i felt no bumps, then used the carnuba wax that came with the kit twice, then 2 coats of meguiars gold class. months later my cars surface is glass-smooth.;)

redem2 12-14-2005 09:56 PM

^ you have too much time on your hand...

soonercivic 12-14-2005 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by redem2
^ you have too much time on your hand...

I often spend 8-10 hours properly detailing my car. Its not unusual if you actually care, are willing to put forth effort, and do it right for results like this!
http://www.7thgencivic.com/memberrid...r_013-med.jpeg

redem2 12-15-2005 01:49 AM

looks clean :D

soonercivic 12-15-2005 10:06 AM

It damn well better. I spent about 11 hrs that day on it. lol thanks

shroomster 12-15-2005 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by soonercivic
I often spend 8-10 hours properly detailing my car. Its not unusual if you actually care, are willing to put forth effort, and do it right for results like this!
http://www.7thgencivic.com/memberrid...r_013-med.jpeg

ROFL I get the same results just using EAGLE ONE Wax-as-u-dry haha

j/k but seriously nice job man...really sharp....I spend usually 3-4 hours...but I'v got so many nicks and marks from working at Wal-Mart and having to park there...gah I'd be inclined to get a bubble and a new paint job and put the bubble up everywhere I park....I do use E1 though and it does a superb job...just I need to strip the old wax and redo everything this coming spring....

soonercivic 12-15-2005 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by shroomster
ROFL I get the same results just using EAGLE ONE Wax-as-u-dry haha

j/k but seriously nice job man...really sharp....I spend usually 3-4 hours...but I'v got so many nicks and marks from working at Wal-Mart and having to park there...gah I'd be inclined to get a bubble and a new paint job and put the bubble up everywhere I park....I do use E1 though and it does a superb job...just I need to strip the old wax and redo everything this coming spring....

Ouch man. That hurts. lol. It might look the same in person, but with everything i did here, eagle one doesnt even come close. It also doesnt leave a very significant layer of wax.

gearbox 12-18-2005 10:47 AM

i never see civics like that around here. they're all covered in dirt, no wax, and all kinds of damage.

soonercivic 12-19-2005 12:48 AM

Thats ok, most of the civics i see around here are driven by old people. :shrug:

Civicman1988 12-24-2005 03:00 PM

i spend 5 hours waxing my car with mothers clay and 3 hours polishing all my chrome, but its all worth it

euromx 12-24-2005 04:47 PM

my gf just polished my ****, took like 10 mins

shes amazing...

SinaloaCivic 12-24-2005 06:36 PM

niice, yea my g/f does that a lot too, its great

Yoshiemaster 12-26-2005 06:16 PM

pics next time your g/f's polish/wax/clean your sh!t. tell em it's for yoshie, they'll understand what that means.

bhoy 12-28-2005 01:40 PM

i'll will ask my bitch to clean my car later...LOL

madmaddiel 12-28-2005 02:20 PM

How do you get the white spots off black? My front end looks like its been sandblasted!! Ive tried a claybar but it didnt do the trick....

soonercivic 12-28-2005 02:44 PM

You may try a more aggressive clay bar, you can find different ones at auto body supply shops or online, i use meguiars preferrably. You may need a slight abrasive, if its actually on the paint, something like Meguiars ScratchX should take it off without too much trouble. No matter how you do it, make sure to use foam applicator pads, microfiber towels, and then polish and wax the surface.

ruffryde009 01-01-2006 03:49 PM

I just realized that you called the clay bar a wax. A clay bar is not a wax and will provide no protection on the surface. It is strictly used to remove surface contaminates and old waxes. So unless you re-wax after using the clay bar, you actually have less surface protection than you did before you started. Hopefully you realized this and its just a typo, but I thought I would include this for anyone who may look at it and not realize the difference. Also always make sure you use a pure polish on the vehicle after claying and before waxing.

what would be an example of a good pure polish for the vehicle after claying or before waxing?

I just bought the Mothers clay bar kit also, I was going to use it today but I sold my exhaust..yay.. :-D

soonercivic 01-01-2006 10:30 PM

Personally I use Meguiars #7 show car glaze with my PC, however its harder to apply by hand. Going by hand i would use either Meguiars #80 hand polish, or Meguiars Deep Crystal Step 2. The deep crystal will proabably be the easiest to find at walmart or any auto parts store. I prefer meguiars, i always get the results i expect as compared to many others ive tried that left me underwhelmed. Also make sure you only use microfiber cloths and a foam applicator pad, any terrycloth materials will cause minor scratches and swirls.

ruffryde009 01-01-2006 11:45 PM

Personally I use Meguiars #7 show car glaze with my PC, however its harder to apply by hand. Going by hand i would use either Meguiars #80 hand polish, or Meguiars Deep Crystal Step 2. The deep crystal will proabably be the easiest to find at walmart or any auto parts store. I prefer meguiars, i always get the results i expect as compared to many others ive tried that left me underwhelmed. Also make sure you only use microfiber cloths and a foam applicator pad, any terrycloth materials will cause minor scratches and swirls.

im learning so much... microfiber what? lol can the microfiber cloths and foam applicator pads be found at advanced auto parts?

shroomster 01-02-2006 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by ruffryde009
im learning so much... microfiber what? lol can the microfiber cloths and foam applicator pads be found at advanced auto parts?

yes. you can find micro fiber cloths and applicator pads at ALLLLL detail sections of auto stores. very common item now adays as microfiber grows in popularity.

soonercivic 01-02-2006 09:29 AM

Yes advanced auto parts will sell them, or you can get them online as well.