Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Sick and TIRED -- steering wheel problem (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/228460-sick-tired-steering-wheel-problem.html)

Slawek 09-19-2005 07:47 AM

Sick and TIRED -- steering wheel problem

Just so u know, I'm referring to a Canadian civic here (EX american model).

I bought my Civic si coupe for a reason: comfort and to feel good about the little 'luxuries': sunroof, ABS, leather wheel and shifter.. well, my damn steering wheel is ALWAYS STICKY. I clean it this weekend, and by the end of it, it's sticky. Honda tells me it's because of the hot weather, and oils from your hand, etc. But this is just annoying now. I want this problem solved.. why does it always feel sticky? Do I have to clean it every day? It's ridiculous!

I also need recommendations for cleaning and care products for my leather shifter and leather wheel.

Thank you!! :_doh:

gearbox 09-19-2005 08:03 AM

i can't really say cause my steering wheel is stock (no leather). But yea I guess it can get sticky like that. Just find a good leather cleaner or just rip it off. The stock never gets sticky.

ojay 09-19-2005 08:13 AM

i usually hear about slippery steering wheels rather than sticky ones.

try diluting an all-purpose cleaner heavily and scrub that on the steering wheel. buff it dry with a microfiber.

stay away from armor-all. i use poorboy's natural look on any leather, dash, and vinyl surfaces.

Slawek 09-19-2005 08:55 AM

This IS a stock wheel. That's the annoying part.

soonercivic 09-19-2005 11:28 AM

Heres what you can do, and one thing that many people fail to do with any leather. Its called saddle soap, its typically used on shoes and horse saddles to keep the leather soft and clean. It acts as a soap and conditioner. Its very easy to use, you need the saddle soap (comes in a tin, Kiwi makes some for shoes. its easy to get it in Oklahoma and most leather stores anywhere) a soft brush (horsehair is preferred) and a soft rag. You dip the brush in water, rub it in the soap until you have a little bit of lather and just spread it and work it on the leather, then you wipe of the water and your done. Its so easy to do and the leather will be softer and cleaner afterward that it was when it was new. Ive used it on leather seats, shoes, steering wheels, chairs and so on. In my experience it works better than any other leather cleaner. If it works for cowboy saddles with the wear and tear they go through, then its gonna be great for any other leather.

Ed 10-02-2005 09:21 PM

I don't have any problem with the stock wheel, even in hotter/humid weather. What have you been using to clean it thius far? Is your wheels a leather wrapped wheel? I'm pretty certain the stock wheel is not leather, just a plasticy material, maybe the leather cleaner you're using doesn't do well with the plastic?

Do you wash your hands after, um, doing things?

shroomster 10-03-2005 07:27 AM

hmmm...I thought I posted on this thread...oh well.....just get a nice cover....thats's what I did...(by nice cover I mean one that has a rubberized inside so it holds it's place to the steering wheel...) and the once I bought is all mesh so no more hot steering wheel or sticky...if anything i have a better grip...

Slawek 10-03-2005 08:09 AM

I don't have any problem with the stock wheel, even in hotter/humid weather. What have you been using to clean it thius far? Is your wheels a leather wrapped wheel? I'm pretty certain the stock wheel is not leather, just a plasticy material, maybe the leather cleaner you're using doesn't do well with the plastic?

Do you wash your hands after, um, doing things?
Yeah I was my hands after doing things lol.. I just find it gets sticky too fast after I clean in. I have a leather wrapped wheel and shifter, I have a 2004 Canadian Civic Si-G (American EX with all the options possible). I'm not getting a cover when I have a nice looking leather wheel, I dont need anymore rice than I currently have.

So far I tried washing it with soap and water, which seemed to help. I also tried using Danier Leather cleaner (that lotion stuff) to let the leather breath. Getting tired of this.. My brother's accord leather seems different, doesn't do it.. hmm

shroomster 10-03-2005 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Slawek
I have a leather wrapped wheel and shifter, I have a 2004 Canadian Civic Si-G (American EX with all the options possible). I'm not getting a cover when I have a nice looking leather wheel, I dont need anymore rice than I currently have.

there it is wrapped...can't ya just take that wrap off and get a diff one? or am I missing something...
besides mine is an EX too (US) it is that vinyl stuff that looks like leather I guess...whatever the case i don't consider saving the steering wheel from discoloration...and saving my fingerprints and skin from burning...a rice issue...i didn't get an APC or crappy made steering cover...just a mesh one so that it feels good and doesn't heat up...thats the reason I suggested it
but to each his own ya know 'twas jsut my opinion
good luck with the options you come up with :shrug:

NOT FLAMING!!!!

Slawek 10-04-2005 07:50 AM

you cant just rip it off, it's the wheel man. I'd have to replace the wheel. Ugh, nevermind. I'm gonna clean the shit out of it with soap and water and get a leather protector or something. Stupid honda.

A03 10-04-2005 11:05 AM

I'm glad my US model EX has a regular plastic steering wheel. No sticky icky on mine.

shroomster 10-04-2005 11:10 AM

...ok so someone tell me is there something I'm missing between a wrapped steering wheel and a stitched and sewn steering wheel? cuz I thought wrapped (which is what the thread starter keeps saying) is when its wovwen around and around the entire wheel one long strip...stitched stretched and sewn is where a big diagram is applied to the steel and cushioning innards of the wheel isnt it?

so in theory you could just unravel by cutting the wrap off right?

if its a stitch and sewn its there for good....

CraigW 10-04-2005 03:51 PM

Most of the "leather wrapped" wheels are special made so the edges of the leather make a nicer fit/trim where the wheel is exposed. I would not tear it off it would look like hell.

Slawek 10-05-2005 08:02 AM

Okay maybe I'm referring it to it incorrectly. You can't take it off, it's part of the wheel.. it's on there for good. You can see stitch marks and stuff. I cleaned the shit out of it yesterday with a coarse sponge and soap and water, it's fine for now. Gotta put leather moisturizer on it I think?

Here's a picture of an SIR, it looks just like this except the red stiching is BLACK in mine.

http://images.automotive.com/cob/fac...k_interior.jpg

phuviano 10-16-2005 11:40 PM

Well your best solution to this problem would be to get a steering wheel cover, even though I think that would look stupid. Function wise I think it would be great for your situation. I don't think you can do much about this situation, unless you want to wearing gloves while driving. Like racing gloves, or similar.

To clarify all this confusion for you americans. The cdn version of the civic has 2 models which have the D17a2 engine. The Si, and the Si-G. The difference between the 2 models. The Si-G is the higher model.

Si-g has the following extras:

-leather steering wheel
-leather shift knob
-spolier
-ABS
-CF dash and trim kit

Those are the main differences. So the guy has a leather steering wheel, and stop assuming that he doesn't. I've seen the leather steering wheel, cause I remember it when I went to buy my car. No you can't just unwrap the leather from it. Its part of the steering wheel. I mean you can probably cut the leather off, but who knows what's underneath the leather.

I'm sort of glad now that I settle on my Si, instead of the Si-G.

Slawek 10-24-2005 07:54 AM

Thx for clearing that up to them :)

Anyways I bought this Mothers Leather Cleaner, and every time I spray it on and vigorously clean the wheel, the cloth I'm using is BLACK.. like the color of the leather is coming off or something.. and I mean BLACK as black can be. No matter how many times I clean it.. when i just rub back and forth, you can see somewhat black, but when you grab the wheel with the cloth like ur driving and rub and twist, it comes off BLACK.. Same with the shifter. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY!! :S

Slawek 10-25-2005 03:28 PM

i was told that because i cleaned it with water, now the steering wheel is losing the black dye and causing this clamminess and stickiness. SHIT.. Gotta get Honda to replace my wheel somehow :)

Slawek 10-26-2005 12:29 PM

what whaaaaaaaaat!! Honda is ordering me a new steering wheel under warranty!

THey wont do the shifter tho :S I really like the one here:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/civint01.html

the leather one with red stiching.. but $119!! Damn, way too much. Anyone know where I can get one? Maybe I'll just steal one :D

k-man 11-04-2005 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Slawek
what whaaaaaaaaat!! Honda is ordering me a new steering wheel under warranty!

THey wont do the shifter tho :S I really like the one here:

the leather one with red stiching.. but $119!! Damn, way too much. Anyone know where I can get one? Maybe I'll just steal one :D

hey whats up man??

strange your having these issues with the leather, i eventually did get the leather wrapped knob for mine, i dont have any sticky leather problems....

SinaloaCivic 11-05-2005 10:30 AM

i have similar issues with my EX, well its not that its sticky but the gets discolored and kinda yellow in the parts where i dont usually touch it, its really damn weird im just thinking of getting a new cover for it

-PeTeY!! ::EM2::

eyegiant 11-05-2005 11:25 AM

Try, This. Use Any Window Cleaning Product To Desolve The Oil Off The Wheel, Then What You Can Do It Condition The Leather Afther Wards.

eyegiant 11-05-2005 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by D17A2/4G63
i have similar issues with my EX, well its not that its sticky but the gets discolored and kinda yellow in the parts where i dont usually touch it, its really damn weird im just thinking of getting a new cover for it

try using this, might help.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...rry/odyswc.jpg

SinaloaCivic 11-05-2005 03:32 PM

is that a leather one??? where can i get somethin like that??? jw lol

eyegiant 11-05-2005 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by D17A2/4G63
is that a leather one??? where can i get somethin like that??? jw lol

Thru.