Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Fixing dent with touch up paint? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/214074-fixing-dent-touch-up-paint.html)

nyyanks81 05-29-2005 02:31 PM

Fixing dent with touch up paint?

I have a new Civic thats barely 3 months old and some schmuck flung their door open in a shopping center parking lot and my rear right side door has a small dent in it as a result with some paint scraped off in the middle of the dent (I don't think the bare metal is exposed but I see a whitish paint, is that the primer?). The size of the dent is about half the size of a dime, its slight but noticeable. :mad:

It is unbelievable how some people just do not give a rats #@$ about other peoples cars and let their doors fly open in a tight parking spot! :_disgust:

Has this happened to anyone here?

I happen to have a bottle of Honda Magnesium colored touch up paint. Would it be a good idea to use the touch up paint to fill in that area where some of the paint is missing?

What would be the best way to do it? Will the touch up paint make it any uglier than what the dent looks right now? Is it worth it to go have the dent removed by a professional?

thoughthard 05-29-2005 09:12 PM

Paintless Dent Removal is something to consider. I have had work done, and all the minor door dings and hail dents are gone. All the other dents were in places where they could not guarantee results, like on fender lips, on or between body lines, too large of dent, etc. I knew that they would have difficulties with those, so I did not expect miracles. The largest dent, was on a fender lip, had a body line going through it, and was pushed in about an inch. They worked it out to where it is good enough to fool a dealer, but slightly wavy.

Cheap also.

rckdrmr 05-31-2005 01:50 AM

www.autovisuals.com

matt_s 05-31-2005 09:36 AM

yeaah paintless dent removal is definately the way to go. Some lady did the same thing to my ride, 2 dents in the driver side back panel. One of the dents was removed fully, and the other is a tiny bit noticable. But overall looks much better, and almost unnoticable...

y.0. KiLLa 05-31-2005 10:22 AM

sry to jack this thread, but how much is it to remove these dents..i have one the size of a fist and another small one...does ne1 have an estimate of how much it will cost? i had those dents, it makes me wanna get rid of the car..:(

2K1Civic17"Gabe 05-31-2005 04:31 PM

I havent had luck with touch up paint. I got the right one for my car (taffeta white (sp?)), and it is off. it was pretty close, but it sucked to use it. the pen sucks, the brush sucks. I woulda had better luck learning to bondo, primer and paint. but I dunno, maybe somebody has a tip?? Id like to know, I have some paint missing as well.

thoughthard 05-31-2005 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by y.0. KiLLa
sry to jack this thread, but how much is it to remove these dents..i have one the size of a fist and another small one...does ne1 have an estimate of how much it will cost? i had those dents, it makes me wanna get rid of the car..:(

I paid $50 for the big fender dent, two door dings, and a ding on my roof.

I paid $45 for around 14 dents worked on. Two dents were on a fender lip, about an inch between the lip and a body line, so they did not come out, due to no access from behind or inside. He could have worked on them more, but was worried about paint damage since he was using the hot glue, suction cup, and slide hammer method. One dent on a trunk side panel since slightly three since I did not want to remove some trunk audio obstructions. All the other door dings and hail damage gone.

nyyanks81 06-01-2005 05:17 PM

I have examined the dent further and its very very slight, it's indented almost as though someone took their pinky and pushed real hard to make an imprint but it scraped the top layer of paint off. The dent is noticeable if you walk further away from the car but the closer you get you notice more of the missing paint than the dent.

The missing paint area is more like a sliver, and is comparable to the length and thickness of the tapered part of a flat toothpick.

Its not a big area but so annoying to see it there!

I have experimented a little with the touch up paint by painting it on a piece of clear plastic and letting it dry and leaning it up against the car to see how well it matches and it doesn't seem to be too off from what I see (it may be more noticeable once I paint it on?)

Any tips on how to apply this touch up paint? Again, its a small sliver that needs to be painted.

ZSKCivic01 06-05-2005 10:20 AM

I detail my car quite frequently, I have a 2001 civic, EBP. Its amazing how many dings you get over the years. I have had a tree fall on my car and leave a ding on the rear quarter panel right next to my rear window, I had some idiot ding the hell out of my drivers side rear quarter panel, a bunch of small dents on my hood and front drivers side quarter panels, and just misc small dents on parts of the passenger door and drivers door. I have come to the realization that it is hard not to avoid getting dinged, and it will usually happen to most anyone. What place did you all get paintless dent removal done at? I live in Houston, I know we have Dent Wizard, just curious to know where you all go?

thoughthard 06-08-2005 07:45 PM

I got mine done in a small town in Nebraska. He was not busy, so that is why my dent repairs were lower in cost.

Monk33 06-09-2005 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by nyyanks81
I have examined the dent further and its very very slight, it's indented almost as though someone took their pinky and pushed real hard to make an imprint but it scraped the top layer of paint off. The dent is noticeable if you walk further away from the car but the closer you get you notice more of the missing paint than the dent.

The missing paint area is more like a sliver, and is comparable to the length and thickness of the tapered part of a flat toothpick.

Its not a big area but so annoying to see it there!

I have experimented a little with the touch up paint by painting it on a piece of clear plastic and letting it dry and leaning it up against the car to see how well it matches and it doesn't seem to be too off from what I see (it may be more noticeable once I paint it on?)

Any tips on how to apply this touch up paint? Again, its a small sliver that needs to be painted.

DO A SEARCH here! It's been covered many times and I've used some of the advice I found. The best advice has been to use a toothpick, the pointiest you can find, and dab the smallest amount you can into the chipped area. Try not to fill the whole thing all at once, and try not to get it to spill over onto the surrounding paint. Let it dry for a few hours. Then come back and do it again. Kepe doing this until you get it close to the level of the original paint. Keep some paint thinner and a rag handy in case you screw up the first time and you need to remove it. Do it quickly though, or else the touch-up paint will start to set up and get rubbery/stringy. Once it gets that dry, you're screwed.

This method worked pretty well on some of my hood chips. My advice is not the best, however. So definitely do a search for thorough instructions. Look up "rock chips" or "paint chips" It's been asked hundreds of times and answered hundreds of times. Good luck!

AggressiveAdam 07-03-2005 01:14 AM

somebody door dinged my rental car, needed bodywork + repainting of the door.

Sent me back $300, better than the rental car company taking my $500

its a cruel world but I suppose if you or your kids flung open the door and dinged someone you wouldnt exactly be leaving your phone number + insurance policy number on their windshield. Be a nice world if people did that :)

you can claim it as vandalism, should be no fault but you do have to pay a deductable