Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Scratches-Black 04 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/204863-scratches-black-04-a.html)

H-Ian 03-29-2005 06:32 PM

Scratches-Black 04

After a grueling winter, finally got around to spring cleaning the car and noticed lots of small scratches in the clear coat ALL over. I have come to the conclusion it is from the snow brush I've been using to clean the snow off. What is the best way to get rid of these (polish, wax or both?). Also does anyone know of any "clear coat-friendly" snow brushes available since I don't want to be removing scratches each and every Spring. Thanks

i8dabomb 03-29-2005 06:44 PM

yea im still waiting for winter to be over so i can bring out the polish.. that'll help if they're small scratches

Pitch_BlacK 03-30-2005 12:47 AM

I just finished my general spring cleaning a couple of weeks ago and I noticed the same thing on my car. We have the same car man I know Black is a bitch when its dirty so tiny swirl marks or scratches are pretty obvious. I polished and then waxed it after and wallah their gone. I'll tell ya it looks elegant again :)

I use Autoglym Super Resin Polish and Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection

wonderz 03-30-2005 02:51 AM

yup, what the other ppl said, polish and wax would be able to fix it if its just very minor scratches.

kirks04ex 03-30-2005 08:13 AM

i noticed the same thing on my black 04...i need to go get some wax and stuff for it

H-Ian 03-30-2005 04:37 PM

K thanks for your replies. Guess a good polish and wax is in order. About the snow brush, does anyone know of a friendly one, or should I just not bother with brushing off the body and let the snow fall off onto the people driving behind me? :)

H-Ian 03-30-2005 04:47 PM

Was only able to find one clear coat safe snow brush here:

http://www.autogeek.net/oxosnowbrush.html

Some how I doubt that any brush is truly clear coat safe but who knows, maybe it will prevent trying to take out scratches every Spring.

albs 03-30-2005 05:55 PM

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread...ht=snow+scrape

Pitch_BlacK 03-30-2005 06:03 PM

I only use my hands to remove the snow on my car. I don't wanna scratch it with snow brush. :)

messiah 04-01-2005 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by H-Ian
After a grueling winter, finally got around to spring cleaning the car and noticed lots of small scratches in the clear coat ALL over. I have come to the conclusion it is from the snow brush I've been using to clean the snow off. What is the best way to get rid of these (polish, wax or both?). Also does anyone know of any "clear coat-friendly" snow brushes available since I don't want to be removing scratches each and every Spring. Thanks

try using the meguairs scratch X. then follow it up with polish then wax.

civicguy1xxxxx 04-01-2005 07:11 PM

You guys keep saying polish and wax..........what kind of polish, and wax should we use?

civicboywonder 04-01-2005 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by civicguy1xxxxx
You guys keep saying polish and wax..........what kind of polish, and wax should we use?

meguairs or mothers is good

civicguy1xxxxx 04-01-2005 08:02 PM

so this is a 2 step thing, POLISH and then WAX?

Pitch_BlacK 04-03-2005 03:32 AM

I use AUTOGLYM brand

VP Stylee 04-03-2005 10:07 AM

i used the eagle one wax as yo dry and it seemed to do a decent job hiding my scratches

messiah 04-03-2005 12:03 PM

i use meguairs 3 step system..clean, polish and wax, but this is just too tiring sometimes.
you can also try IBIZ Car Products. This is what I am currently using and so for they are the best, IMO.

Originally Posted by civicguy1xxxxx

slicksivik 04-05-2005 09:59 PM

i used nu finish, which u use only once a yr it says, then i used meguirs gold class wax. and i used meguirs deep crystal purple car wash soap. my black car looks flawless.

edit: except that one person who hit my car 2 days ago in the door, but besides the dent, its awesome. lol

keitaro 04-06-2005 12:18 AM

meguir's 3 step is really good..

VP Stylee 04-14-2005 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by VP Stylee
i used the eagle one wax as yo dry and it seemed to do a decent job hiding my scratches

went out and bought some eagle one nanowax yesterday and that stuff kicked my scratches ass! looks brand new

H-Ian 04-14-2005 05:09 PM

Going to tackle those damn scratches this weekend. Have used the NXT wax/sealer (whatever it is) before and was very impressed. Just need to use a good polish before hand. Since I'll be doing it all by hand, can I really expect to remove the scratches very well by hand or do I need a polisher?
I've also been told not to apply it in a circular motion by hand as it will cause swirl marks, rather, it should be applied in a back and forth motion. Is this right and does this apply to the application of both wax and polish by hand or just one of them?
K I'm done being noobish lol.
Thnks

messiah 04-15-2005 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by H-Ian
Going to tackle those damn scratches this weekend. Have used the NXT wax/sealer (whatever it is) before and was very impressed. Just need to use a good polish before hand. Since I'll be doing it all by hand, can I really expect to remove the scratches very well by hand or do I need a polisher?
I've also been told not to apply it in a circular motion by hand as it will cause swirl marks, rather, it should be applied in a back and forth motion. Is this right and does this apply to the application of both wax and polish by hand or just one of them?
K I'm done being noobish lol.
Thnks

you are absolutely right. applying it in a circular motion will create swirl marks. it should be done in a back and fourth motion.