Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   dried out wax on weathering that i cant get off! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/196523-dried-out-wax-weathering-i-cant-get-off.html)

mr_fobster 02-08-2005 10:02 PM

dried out wax on weathering that i cant get off!

ok when this stuff started to just stay on there it was when i waxed my car right before the winter time. now its just dried up and never wipes or washes off of the front passenger side weathering. here are the pics:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1212579

so i was at my audo/alarm guys house about to get my viper alarm installed, and this guy looks at that part of my car and goes "you know you can take this off, just get some tire silicone and rub it on here", but he has some 59' chevy(the one where its a 2 tone color, he had black and white), so i presumed he knew wat he was talking about since he has some old school show car. so i was wondering, could i use tire shine(i think that is wat that guy means by tire silicone) to take that off?

oh and on the last pic in that album that is of my weather strip on the roof of my car(i have a sedan btw). how could i make that stick flat in there? cuz its starting to crust inside there and i might just replace it. but before i replace it is there anyway i could make that stay flush with the roof?

masarak 02-08-2005 11:32 PM

I had the same problem. A little WD-40 on a rag got rid of it for me. I don't know whether WD-40's the best option, though.

I've always used automotive Goop to stick loose things like that back to my cars and have never had any problems. But, again, I don't know whether Goop is the best fix.

:shrug:

mr_fobster 02-08-2005 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by masarak
I had the same problem. A little WD-40 on a rag got rid of it for me. I don't know if WD-40's the best option, though.

well if its not a good option then wat???

masarak 02-08-2005 11:40 PM

Here's what Meguiar's says to do:

How do I remove wax from vinyl trim/rubber parts?

The best way to remove wax from vinyl or rubber is to use #39 Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner. #39 breaks down the dry wax residue, revealing your vinyl's natural color. If you can't find #39, any all-purpose cleaner (e.g. Simple Green) also will do the job. Agitating the cleaner by gently scrubbing the surface with a soft bristle brush can help break up the wax. Once you have cleaned the vinyl or rubber, bring back the full depth of its natural color and help protect it with #40 Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner.

typeRDreamer 02-09-2005 02:07 AM

SIMPLE GREEN, simple green is shiznit. That thing works wonders!

danase 02-09-2005 12:41 PM

W T F wax did you use that stained it that bad? Ihave used peanut butter in the past to get it off. You spread on some peanut butter, let it sit for about an hour and hose/rub it off. Works great. Tire Dressing is just going to hide it and it will show threw again in no time. You can go buy this product from a grocery from Mr. Clean. It is called a clean eraser or something and it is supposed to be used for house hole cleaning but it also works great. Just tape off the paint so you won't scratch it with this thing.

I would not use Simple Green on rubber.

PunkingCivic 02-09-2005 12:54 PM

wwill the mr clean thing also het the dirty grim from the weather stripping in the door jams? It is so bumpy I cannot get it all the way clean

i8dabomb 02-09-2005 02:56 PM

turtle wax tells you to use a solution of 50/50 vinegar/water to remove mineral deposits...

mr_fobster 02-09-2005 04:44 PM

ill try the simple green stuff first off(since i got it at home) and then the meguirs and last but not least.....the peanut butter(well maybe not.....lol)

well i use the carnuba wax(the one in the yellow bottle) to wax my car since i have alot of this stuff at home. and one day i had to do a rush job on my car so i just put globs of it everywhere and went fro, there(had to go to ex gf's little sister's cotillion, wanted my car to shine).

pon55 02-09-2005 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by mr_fobster
ill try the simple green stuff first off(since i got it at home) and then the meguirs and last but not least.....the peanut butter(well maybe not.....lol)

well i use the carnuba wax(the one in the yellow bottle) to wax my car since i have alot of this stuff at home. and one day i had to do a rush job on my car so i just put globs of it everywhere and went fro, there(had to go to ex gf's little sister's cotillion, wanted my car to shine).

What ever you use,try a little first! Nothing like working to make things worse!
Most stuff woun't harm anything, but pays to be careful.

deciuss 02-10-2005 09:03 AM

if its just wax not stained use a toothpick. i just scrap mine off with a toothpick and then i wipe it with a wet towel to get the dust off

MeguiarsEM 02-10-2005 12:36 PM

Yes Sir

Originally Posted by masarak
Here's what Meguiar's says to do:

How do I remove wax from vinyl trim/rubber parts?

The best way to remove wax from vinyl or rubber is to use #39 Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner. #39 breaks down the dry wax residue, revealing your vinyl's natural color. If you can't find #39, any all-purpose cleaner (e.g. Simple Green) also will do the job. Agitating the cleaner by gently scrubbing the surface with a soft bristle brush can help break up the wax. Once you have cleaned the vinyl or rubber, bring back the full depth of its natural color and help protect it with #40 Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner.

civicrice 02-10-2005 06:54 PM

god damn. looks like a retard waxed that thing. just use a wet towl and rub hard

thoughthard 02-10-2005 07:11 PM

Maybe try rubbing the problem areas with Armor All. I have removed wax on weatherstripping with it.

MeguiarsEM 02-22-2005 05:41 PM

Use this, it's meant for situations like yours.
http://tinypic.com/1t3dja

Originally Posted by mr_fobster
ok when this stuff started to just stay on there it was when i waxed my car right before the winter time. now its just dried up and never wipes or washes off of the front passenger side weathering. here are the pics:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1212579

so i was at my audo/alarm guys house about to get my viper alarm installed, and this guy looks at that part of my car and goes "you know you can take this off, just get some tire silicone and rub it on here", but he has some 59' chevy(the one where its a 2 tone color, he had black and white), so i presumed he knew wat he was talking about since he has some old school show car. so i was wondering, could i use tire shine(i think that is wat that guy means by tire silicone) to take that off?

oh and on the last pic in that album that is of my weather strip on the roof of my car(i have a sedan btw). how could i make that stick flat in there? cuz its starting to crust inside there and i might just replace it. but before i replace it is there anyway i could make that stay flush with the roof?

Civic707Style 03-14-2005 03:41 AM

I would go with simple green first because, if I'm not mistaken, its made of materials that are safe even if you drink it. My friend had a teacher who told him that it was safe to drink because it was made out natural ingredients or something. So if its safe to drink, it can't hurt your car that much right? I'm gonna try it soon because turtle wax did the same to my car. Good luck