Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Painting caliper/drums (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/190587-painting-caliper-drums.html)

vegascivic 01-05-2005 05:46 PM

Painting caliper/drums

I was wondering if it was expensive painting you drums or calipers. Ive seen a special paint somewhere but i forget where ive seen it. Does anyone know where i can get it and how much. thanks :tongue:

Akutenshi 01-05-2005 05:52 PM

theres a caliper painting kit at walmart for $15. lol

vegascivic 01-05-2005 07:01 PM

Hey you picking on walmart i work there lol. Is it worth a dang?

Akutenshi 01-05-2005 07:27 PM

lol u work there and u dont even kno what products u carry? -__= tsk tsk shame..... and no, haha im not making fun of walmart, i luv it. hellah cheap shit there, saves me $$ :tup:

nvr tried it. just my 2cents but everyone that ive seen that tried to paint their own calipers (a number of em use a brush instead of spray) it hasnt come out looking the greatest. from far away i guess its koo. but up close its a bit weird lookin. mine as well get them powercoated. that'll look very nice.

vegascivic 01-05-2005 08:11 PM

where could i get that done at? yeah i work at walmart pushin carts outside so i dont every product lol haha :rofl: but it pays the bills lol and what color should i get i was thinking like red? thanks for your help

Akutenshi 01-05-2005 10:05 PM

hm.. what color is ur car?

as for coating it, ive got no clue..... since i havent done it before. but im guessing an autobody paint shop can do it?

wonderz 01-06-2005 12:06 AM

just go to kragen and buy some engine paint. i painted mine a year ago, and only notice minimal fading.

soonercivic 01-06-2005 12:27 AM

i painted mine with a spray engine paint. i used the duplicolor metalcast red paint. its got a good shine and is a little darker than other kits. i tried using the kit from walmart but it came out very uneven and with alot of brush strokes. also the crappy brush they give you starts to fall apart and leaves bristles in the paint. if you buy the spray, you will probably need 2 cans to get the front and back. just make sure you get a good cleaner and scrub first. also if you go with spray make sure you dont need a primer to get it to stick. also if you get any overspray on the rotors or anything you can use the cleaner to get it right off.

wonderz 01-06-2005 12:29 AM

yea, make sure to not to get the paint onto your rotors and brake pads.. it can be a mess.

BigGeorge 01-07-2005 09:36 PM

I bought caliper paint from summit racing, 7-8 dollars. Then I used regular clear coat and it came out real nice. It last a long time too

standalj 01-07-2005 10:12 PM

Spend the money and get em powder coated...do it right!

wonderz 01-07-2005 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by standalj
Spend the money and get em powder coated...do it right!

err.... it would to probably take too much effort to take the calipers off and get them power coated. i guess if you are hardcore :shrug:

vegascivic 01-07-2005 11:39 PM

so what color should i get its an all silver car, but i want it to stand out so i thought red always looked good.

D5cIvIc 01-08-2005 12:22 AM

red it always good. i got mine done at a body shop for free when i dropped off my car there to install my rotors.

wonderz 01-08-2005 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by vegascivic
so what color should i get its an all silver car, but i want it to stand out so i thought red always looked good.

here's when NFUG comes in handy. just go into the game and see which color looks good. :D

standalj 01-08-2005 01:25 AM

My car is silver and when I upgrade to Brembo discs and calipers I intend on having the calipers powered-coated blue.

el_ben2 01-08-2005 12:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
well look... a month ago a friend and i just has paint it with the calipert kit that walmarts sell
here's some pics
its really easy

Gangsta Dave 01-08-2005 02:31 PM

I painted my calipers and drums on my first ride a long time ago blue and just used spray paint that was heat resistant or something like that. I used a wire wheel and cleaned it up real good and then painted. it was super easy and is so so easy to keep clean. I think I used "ford blue" or something like that. when I ever get rims I'm painting mine red. =)

BigGeorge 01-08-2005 06:40 PM

you must do these steps to insure it will last.
1. sand caliper and rotor with sand paper.
2. use brake parts cleaner,making sure they are very clean.
3. apply coats every 20- 30 min, depending on temp.
4. then clear coat them the same amount.

jakejham 01-08-2005 07:06 PM

i want to do this also, sometime in the spring. i saw this nice color at walmart. It was like a brownish gunmetal. It was totally sicc. but then again people won't notice it. i am really thinking this one or red..... my car is ssm as well
btw so is it definately easier to just paint the caliper w/o taking it off? then just use cleaner to get the rest off the rotors. what kind of cleaning materials will work for this?

wonderz 01-08-2005 07:18 PM

just use brake cleaner to clean the rotors. and if you paint dark colors, i think most ppl will just think they are covered up with brake dust. haha
like i have silver rims and I don't clean them that often, from away, they look like gunmetal colors. :D

vegascivic 01-08-2005 08:48 PM

yeah i think im going to go with red cuz that looks the best and it stands out. thanks a bunch to everyone who posted. and thanks el ben2 for the pics

Gangsta Dave 01-12-2005 12:41 PM

I never used any clear coat and it stayed shiny and super clean. I loved it. don't bother w/ buying a kit. Just get the heat resistant paint. it works great

2K1Civic17"Gabe 01-13-2005 05:17 PM

any heat (hightemp) resistant paint will work? I will look for the engine high temp paints. Do you guys paint with the rotors left on, or do you take them off? How hard would it be to take them off an paint? I would rather do that, to make sure I get everything evenly. I dont like the idea of using a spray paint right next to my paint. Thanks for any answers!

wonderz 01-13-2005 06:25 PM

u mean take off your caliper off to paint? i think u have to disconnect some brake lines.. but if u want to take off the disc rotor, it isn't that hard.

soonercivic 01-13-2005 11:12 PM

i left mine on when i sprayed them. i used a lot of newspaper and tape though to make sure i kept it off the paint. if you leave it on make sure you run some paper about 3 feet in every direction of the wheel well just for good measure. i also covered all of my suspension peices. i did get some paint on the rotor, but caliper cleaner got it right off.