Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   windshield cleaner (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/178661-windshield-cleaner.html)

JayFReaZy 10-16-2004 08:20 PM

windshield cleaner

I was just wondering whats a GOOD windshield cleaner. My windshield is extremely dirty, my bro used to put rain-x on the windshield a couple yrs back to help with the rain, If I re-apply it will it get better? Anyway, now its all foggy and dirty. When it rains at night, I can barely see anything. So, what kinda cleaner do you guys recommend? Or should I just re-apply some rain-x?

NeonImpact 10-16-2004 08:26 PM

Stoner : Invisible Glass

http://www.bumpdraft.com/ProdImages/...leGlassPic.jpg

CuRiOuSfIsH 10-17-2004 12:08 AM

I suggest using some window cleaner and some newspaper and wipe the inside....
also heard that changing the cabin filter helps... I changed mine not too long ago.... dont know if it's really helping but whatever.... manual said to change soon anyway. ANd Jay, we live in NY, it's dirty here... I took out my old filter, it was BLACK, had pollen, a dead beatle, leaves and a lot of dust.

thoughthard 10-17-2004 06:59 PM

damp microfiber cloth to wipe, dry microfiber cloth to dry

thom 10-18-2004 12:18 AM

since i have a tint.
i use 10% alcohol and the rest is water.
works great.

bobbyd 10-18-2004 07:44 AM

I agree. Stoner's Invisible Glass is the best I have used and it is safe for tint as well. We spray it on, wipe with a clean, dry, microfiber towel, then go back over it again and buff it with another clean, dry microfiber. And I would clean it good before RainX or it won't last. I for one hate using RainX or anything on my windows and just make sure to keep some good wiper blades on. Seems that the RainX causes the windows to fog and get dirty faster for some reason.

Originally Posted by NeonImpact

rckdrmr 10-18-2004 12:38 PM

eagle one 20/20 window cleaner, hasn't let me down.

MeguiarsEM 10-18-2004 12:49 PM

Our Glass Cleaner Concentrate easily and consistently removes tough vinyl fog residue, road grime, smoker's film and bug splatter, producing crystal clear, streak-free glass. Use it with a micro-fiber towel works great. For every concentrated gallon, you get eleven ready-to-use gallons of glass cleaner. Let me know if you're interested.

alienmeatsack 10-18-2004 02:15 PM

Id avoid rainx. it works great but leaves a film that I think makes the window worse after a while.

I was having problems with my front window until I scrubed the crap out of it, stopped using the rianX fluid, and got new wiperblades.

FuzzBeC00L 10-18-2004 02:27 PM

Rain-x suxks ass

alienmeatsack 10-19-2004 12:55 PM

Ive been fighting a film on my windows on the inside and outside. inside i scrub and scrub and its still filmy... outside was rainx+wax+treesap= yucky film. got most of that off and its not come back so far.

so are either of the above mentioned (stoners, mequires) good at keeping the film away once you cleaned the inside?

bobbyd 10-19-2004 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by alienmeatsack
Ive been fighting a film on my windows on the inside and outside. inside i scrub and scrub and its still filmy... outside was rainx+wax+treesap= yucky film. got most of that off and its not come back so far.

so are either of the above mentioned (stoners, mequires) good at keeping the film away once you cleaned the inside?

They are cleaners, doubt they do much for keeping anything away. The film could be caused from lots of different things. Do you smoke in the car at all?

streetglower 10-22-2004 09:51 PM

how about you just wash your car, or use your windshield fluid and clean it.

LowRYda03ex 10-23-2004 12:54 AM

I have these streaks on the inside of my windshield that wont go away. Im pretty sure that if i use a microfiber cloth it will get rid of them

JayFReaZy 10-23-2004 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by streetglower
how about you just wash your car, or use your windshield fluid and clean it.

OMG, ur a genius!!!, i never thought of that.... :screwy: :susp: :_please:

streetglower 10-23-2004 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by JayFReaZy
OMG, ur a genius!!!, i never thought of that.... :screwy: :susp: :_please:

Well you dont need to be using all these fuking cleaners on your windshield, just spray your washer fluid and you will be fine. If your windsheild is dirty, that is what it is for.

rckdrmr 10-24-2004 12:24 AM

also... clay the outside of your windows, it helps get rid of film, dirt, etc..

ThaitaniumGK 10-26-2004 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by NeonImpact

Yesss, i highly recommend this stuff... i use it all the time when I go out to wash/clean my car... makes my glass look brand spankin new!! :sweet:

alienmeatsack 10-27-2004 09:14 AM

Does the Stoner stuff contain abrasives or polish?

rckdrmr 11-04-2004 02:17 AM

meguiars has a new line up of products for january 2005, and will have a glass cleaner. i'm eager to try it.

2K1Civic17"Gabe 11-08-2004 01:48 PM

Streetglower's right, all I do is wash my window. you are wasting your money on those products. Clean your car weekly, and wash your windows with car soap/water, dry it with a towel. I do that, and my windows are spotless, and my blades go very smoothly. I put wax on my windows as well, to shine them/bead water.

bobbyd 11-09-2004 07:32 AM

Well, for one, your car soap is not going to cut through bug splattered on the windows or anything ales they may have splattered on it. If your car soap does cut through that stuff with ease, you should not be using it on your paint.

The Invisible Glass contains no polishes or abrasives. I use this stuff on every single car that we detail and if for some reason we run out of Tarminator we will use Invisible Glass to cut through the tar and bugs on paint as well.

2K1Civic17"Gabe 11-09-2004 01:16 PM

Thats why you should wash your car weekly, so it comes off with a little elbow grease, plus if I get a bug, or bird crap, or dust on my car, it is gone very very fast. I dont leave anything on my paint. I dont use anything abraisive on my paint, I used to, but not for a long time. I use rainx - with carnauba wax. I believe it is. It works awesome. I also find if I wax my car/windows, crap comes off of it a lot easier.

bobbyd 11-09-2004 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2K1Civic17"Gabe
Thats why you should wash your car weekly, so it comes off with a little elbow grease, plus if I get a bug, or bird crap, or dust on my car, it is gone very very fast. I dont leave anything on my paint. I dont use anything abraisive on my paint, I used to, but not for a long time. I use rainx - with carnauba wax. I believe it is. It works awesome. I also find if I wax my car/windows, crap comes off of it a lot easier.

Yes but for those that drive on eht expressway and through country back roads filled with bugs on a daily basis a weekly wash is not going to get all of the bugs off. i have been detailing for years and Stoner's is by far the best stuff I have used on the windows interior or exterior.