Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   removing the "Civic" and "EX" sign (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/159951-removing-civic-ex-sign.html)

winnerpl 06-20-2004 08:26 AM

removing the "Civic" and "EX" sign

Hey guys. I'm positive this has been addressed before but I just can't find the thread. What's the best way to remove the silver shiny "Civic" and "EX" signs from the back? Can they be later put on? Thanks in advance.

UltimateStock 06-20-2004 08:27 AM

....hmmm....floss.

slOciVicGrrL 06-20-2004 08:59 AM

Take a heat gun or a blow dryer for a long time and sit it on the whole entire sign..And then with dental floss take it off slowly..you'll have residue left so you have to take a clean cloth and maybe rubbing alcohol...I forgot what I used for it..but should do the trick..

gearbox 06-20-2004 10:02 AM

I used a screwdriver wrapped in cloth to pry it off. It worked, the the screwdriver slipped and hit the paint a few times :( Then use goo gone to remove and adhesive, and wax the area.

albs 06-20-2004 04:25 PM

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showth...threadid=13887

Mr.Modify 06-20-2004 04:32 PM

1) Just peel off the emblems

2) Take some Simple Green and spray it on the sticky stuff.

3) take a credit card and start making a sawing motion ( up and down) at about 45 degree angle and it will instantly come off.

4) continue to spray simple green as it dries up you gotta keep it wet.

Took me 3-5 minutes

jmiester96 06-21-2004 12:05 AM

I just pealed mine off then used some cleaner wax and rubbed it
Came right off with a little elbow greese.

allmotor 06-21-2004 12:15 AM

ima gonna try it soon

rckdrmr 06-21-2004 12:48 AM

i took some fishing wire and used it in an up & down saw motion and it took the emblems right off. push the remaining sticky residue up into little balls, and most if not all should peel right off. afterwards i sprayed some bug & tar remover and it got whatever was left behind.

HelloPanda03 06-21-2004 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by slOciVicGrrL
Take a heat gun or a blow dryer for a long time and sit it on the whole entire sign..And then with dental floss take it off slowly..you'll have residue left so you have to take a clean cloth and maybe rubbing alcohol...I forgot what I used for it..but should do the trick..

This is the method i used. It worked great! I dont recommend using a screwdriver. Another member recently tried this is scratched his paint.

winnerpl 06-21-2004 08:52 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. Now would it be difficult to put it back on? What kind of glue would be appropriate?

HyaBoosta 06-21-2004 10:11 AM

i tried the flathead and cloth and i hit paint too. but the heat gun and floss sounds like a good idea.

lucky_topher 06-21-2004 10:23 AM

heat gun & fishing line is perfect to do this... you can generally just roll it off with your fingers if there's any residue after... if you want to re-apply it, 3M makes an awesome "molding tape" that can be used to put it back on.. it comes in a little roll w/ red peel-off for the tape... it's about $4-5 for a little roll @ walmart here

rpCiVicEx 06-21-2004 12:17 PM

it was real easy to get off the emblems, i used the screwdriver method it worked great for me,just make sure you are gentle so you do NOT scrape the paint, i also removed the "h" emblem then the white tabs that were plugged into the trunk with needle-nosed pliers, i had planned on just covering it up with the "h" painted a custom blue, but the white tabs looked like crap without any thing in them

rpCiVicEx 06-21-2004 12:18 PM

oh yeah they recommended using some kind of car wax after you remove the emblems, i didn't wax it yet, and i think it looks just fine

EJ6autox 06-24-2004 07:00 PM

I'm guessing you have to wax it so that water repells off your car, but I'm not sure.

jwalker87 06-29-2004 12:58 AM

I did my civic badge, but scratched the paint, so I put it back on. I have some of the tape, but it makes the emblem stick out. 3M also makes a tube of stuff that's specifically designed for reattaching emblems on cars. It's sort of like a silicony substance. You dab some on the back of the emblem, stick it on, and you're good. The scratches are really hard to notice, though, and I might take it off again as well as my EX emblem. I would recommend using a hair dryer, then a credit card to take it off. Comes of EXTREMELY easily after heated.

Ed 06-29-2004 01:10 AM

I used floss then cleaner wax and it came right off to problems at all. especially if you use stronger stuff like tar remover, you'll want t to wax since you probably stripped any kind of protectant from the surface that was there off.

cmeowbsu 09-16-2004 01:19 PM

I know this thread is a bit old, but i'm just getting into modding my 04 civic ex's appearance.

are all of the badges/emblems on the 04 just glued on or will some of them have the alignment pegs that'll leave holes?

4bangin 09-16-2004 01:30 PM

i used a flat head and thin shop rag and didnt hit paint at all. blowdryer, flathead, thin cloth, and some goo gone and it was gone.

Ed 09-16-2004 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by cmeowbsu
I know this thread is a bit old, but i'm just getting into modding my 04 civic ex's appearance.

are all of the badges/emblems on the 04 just glued on or will some of them have the alignment pegs that'll leave holes?

The "Civic" and "EX"/"LX" etc will come right off, no holes. the "H" in the top middle has two holes.

cmeowbsu 09-17-2004 08:36 AM

Sweet. thanx for the info ed. :rockon:

gaugeof12 09-17-2004 01:48 PM

OK I did this last weekend & didnt have any goo-gone or simple green, BUT I did have some Meguiars Step 1 cleaner. Spread some over the residue, let it sit for ~3-4 minutes, wiped it with a cloth and it was all gone!! Already!!

Teh_Sare 09-21-2004 05:34 PM

i just did my "civic" and that fugly "30th anniversary edition" emblem today! i heated with blow dryer since it was cold today and took them off with fishing line. a lil goo gone and all i have to say is...my god my car's sexy! :D:D

Stratablak314 09-21-2004 06:41 PM

I used a flat head and cloth. My flat head poked through my cloth a few times so i had to keep watching out for it, but it ecentually put a little scratch right above my "LX", but it is barely noticable. I live in Texas so it was already pretty hot (it had been sitting in a parking lot all day). They are not worth reapplying if you ask me. Buy some from the dealer for like 10 bucks if it's that big of a deal, but i think the civic emblem looks kinda cool.