Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Wax (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/158286-wax.html)

Honda2k4 06-08-2004 11:43 AM

Wax

How often can you wax youre car? will it screw up the paint or anything if you do it more than twice a year, anyone have any recommendations for products to use on a new car, thanks

MeguiarsEM 06-08-2004 12:08 PM

Where there's too many variables to tell you an exact date when to wax. I wax my vehicle 1 a month. A good way to see if your car needs a coat of wax is the "sqeak test". Get a 100% cotton terry towel. Wad the towel between your index finger and thumb. Then twist onto the auto clean surface. If it squeaks then you need some wax.

Originally Posted by Honda2k4
How often can you wax youre car? will it screw up the paint or anything if you do it more than twice a year, anyone have any recommendations for products to use on a new car, thanks

zen_master 06-08-2004 12:11 PM

hahahaha, man, I never wax my car...

however, im gonna do some detailing sooooon...

0. wash...
1. clay.......detail clay....
2. wash...
3. colorX meguiar....*shine*
4. chipStik black masking wax from Turtle...*mask all that biatch scratches*
5.(need opinion for a good wax) gold class wax from meguiar? nanowax?

bobbyd 06-08-2004 12:52 PM

I wax my car about once a month. I use Poorboy's products on my paint and once in a while I will use P21S carnuba to top it all off with.

MeguiarsEM 06-08-2004 01:01 PM

Try using Meguiar's NXT. It dries white, wipes off easy and gives awesome results.

Originally Posted by zen_master
hahahaha, man, I never wax my car...

however, im gonna do some detailing sooooon...

0. wash...
1. clay.......detail clay....
2. wash...
3. colorX meguiar....*shine*
4. chipStik black masking wax from Turtle...*mask all that biatch scratches*
5.(need opinion for a good wax) gold class wax from meguiar? nanowax?

bobbyd 06-08-2004 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by MeguiarsEM
Try using Meguiar's NXT. It dries white, wipes off easy and gives awesome results.

I used NXT, it was given to me to try, on a newer cougar last week and it did not impress me at all. The surface was slick but it did not shine any more or anything.

zen_master 06-08-2004 01:37 PM

oh..................ok.

so....NXT, goldclass or nanowax?

bobbyd 06-08-2004 02:39 PM

P21S or Poorboy's Natty's wax will be the best. Do a search for P21S.

ImPulse 06-08-2004 03:54 PM

P21S owns - Done

albs 06-08-2004 06:30 PM

I put on 1 coat of Klasse Sealant Glaze for three weeks in a row, and now I'm adding on another coat every month or so. Before winter comes around, I'll start the whole process over. Wash, Clay, Polish, Klasse AIO, SG x 3. I'll probably add a topper to SG. P21S is the leading candidate right now.

MeguiarsEM 06-08-2004 06:52 PM

Tell me a little bit about the vehicle you applied it to. Year? Make? Color? What the condition of the paint? Is it garaged kept? What procedures did you take before applying the wax? What where your expectation?

Originally Posted by bobbyd
I used NXT, it was given to me to try, on a newer cougar last week and it did not impress me at all. The surface was slick but it did not shine any more or anything.

bobbyd 06-08-2004 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by MeguiarsEM
Tell me a little bit about the vehicle you applied it to. Year? Make? Color? What the condition of the paint? Is it garaged kept? What procedures did you take before applying the wax? What where your expectation?

Dude, you go over this every time someone dislikes Meguiars. You must be Mike Phillips cause he does the same on all of the other boards. :screwy:

99-00 Cougar Light Blue
The paint was good but had minor swirls. Garage kept at home and work. Went over the car with clay then a swirl mark remover. Applied wax, did what the directions said, took it off, was not imprest with the shine at all. You Meguiar's employess need to try out more products than just your own and you will see why I was not impressed.

I don't mean to sound like a d!ck but the meguiar's guys do this on every board when someone does not like a product.

http://www.detailcity.com/forums/sho...&threadid=4753 There is another guy who agrees with me on Poorboy's being better. Oh, and there are tons of people on the real detailing sites complaining about NXT not lasting long at all.

ImPulse 06-09-2004 12:33 AM

nxt lasts maybe a week?

as i mentioned before... p21s owns :p

MeguiarsEM 06-09-2004 02:35 AM

Relax, just trying to figure out your situation. I'm not trying make you switch over to Meguiar's because we've established that your Anti-Meguiar's and no matter what anyone tells you don't like Meguiar's and thats fine. There are people just like you and that's ok. You're entitled to your opinion. Trust me we've tried everything. Another thing I'm not Mike Phillips. Sounds like your just mad at Meguiars. The company has been around for over 100 years. So they must be doing something right. Be realistic the vehicle is light blue. What kind of a shine where you expecting from a light finish? I wasn't here too argue, just recommend a product to someone that work great for me.

Dude, you go over this every time someone dislikes Meguiars. You must be Mike Phillips cause he does the same on all of the other boards. :screwy:

99-00 Cougar Light Blue
The paint was good but had minor swirls. Garage kept at home and work. Went over the car with clay then a swirl mark remover. Applied wax, did what the directions said, took it off, was not imprest with the shine at all. You Meguiar's employess need to try out more products than just your own and you will see why I was not impressed.

I don't mean to sound like a d!ck but the meguiar's guys do this on every board when someone does not like a product.

http://www.detailcity.com/forums/sho...&threadid=4753 There is another guy who agrees with me on Poorboy's being better. Oh, and there are tons of people on the real detailing sites complaining about NXT not lasting long at all.

bobbyd 06-09-2004 07:35 AM

Whatever man. I used Meguiars for years. Their Final Inspection is pretty good. The other products...I have yet to find one that I like is all. And I expected it to shine, not look like I washed it and left it. I tried NXT because someone gave it to us to try. Went on easy, came off easy. Did not shine like I expected and I am not too happy that it has a huge bold warning not to get it on trim. The stuf I use does not stain trim and I don't have to take time to tape all of the trim off before I use it.

Impulse, you know what I am talking about. ;)

Oh, and Ford has been around for 100 years also but that does not mean you would catch me in one! :rofl:

zen_master 06-09-2004 08:28 AM

huwauhahahha. LOL.

this is a very interesting discussion.

anyway, I want a wax that last soooooo long on the car..

I heard that meguair doesn't exactly do that....so..

that P21 is freakingly expensive....damn! no way im gonna buy that.....$24 + shipping....unless there's a rebate or something though...hehe

bobbyd 06-09-2004 08:49 AM

You get what you pay for Zen. It will last you forever so you don't have to worry about buying it all the time. What you can do is try to find a wax called S100 locally. S100 IS P21S but under a different name. Orrrrrrrr buy this http://www.poorboysworld.com/natty.htm I like it just as good as P21S. It says preorder but they are in so just order it and they will send it right a way. We sell Poorboy's stuff but our site is not set up with the paypal option yet.

zen_master 06-09-2004 09:04 AM

interesting, thanx!

so i got..

1. P21s
2. S100, ok this got a better and more reasonable price.....
3. poorboy

hm...what should i order...

bobbyd 06-09-2004 09:56 AM

Don't buy the P21S if you can get the S100. It is for real the exact same product just relabled. But for some reason S100 is usually a little cheaper.

I say give Natty's a try. :D

MeguiarsEM 06-09-2004 11:52 AM

Hey don't forget about Mercedez-Benz. They been around since WWI. Anyways NXT worked awesome on my vehicle. Doesn't mean I gonna bash on other companies. Product that you using work great only if you layer it. Seems like one layer of NXT would equal the shine of 5 layers of your stuff. Trust me I've tried. Work great, just too many layer and I dont have time for that. You must not be too experienced if your still getting wax residue on the trim. :)

Whatever man. I used Meguiars for years. Their Final Inspection is pretty good. The other products...I have yet to find one that I like is all. And I expected it to shine, not look like I washed it and left it. I tried NXT because someone gave it to us to try. Went on easy, came off easy. Did not shine like I expected and I am not too happy that it has a huge bold warning not to get it on trim. The stuf I use does not stain trim and I don't have to take time to tape all of the trim off before I use it.

Impulse, you know what I am talking about. ;)

Oh, and Ford has been around for 100 years also but that does not mean you would catch me in one! :rofl:

bobbyd 06-09-2004 11:57 AM

I never layer my stuff. I usually have one coat of EX on and once in a while a coat of carnuba on top of it. As far as experienced, way more experienced than you if you are still using Meguiars. Like I said, if the stuff stains trim that bad I don't want to use it. This day and age the waxes should not be doing that at all. And incase you are still living in the 70's, most cars now-a-days are nothing but plastic and in order to cut the wax in you must tape off the plastic....such as the Honda Element. Keep using that NXT and have fun re-apllying it every week. ;)

mogwai 06-09-2004 12:36 PM

Just one man's observations. I've been using Meguiars pretty much as long as I can remember. Within the last half year I started to try different products such as Poorboy's. All I can say is that I quickly noticed how much more durable other products actually were. Meguiar's looks good (not NXT though, I thought the shine was bland), but after a week (or 2 max...) the shine dissappears. Just to give an example, I did my dad's F150 with EX-P. Two months and that thing still shines. I did my mom's Altima with NXT and two weeks later it no longer shined. Both cars are dark and kept outside.

Oh and Zen Master, if you want to go the S100 route, you can find it at a Harley Dealer for $14.95.

albs 06-09-2004 12:40 PM

I agree with bobbyd, you get what you pay for.
If you want a wax/protectant that really lasts, you'll have to go with a synthetic (or Collinite). I use the Klasse AIO and SG combo, and I love the durability. They go for about $20 each, but you only use a little bit of AIO about 2x/year, and I've been using < 1 ounce/coat on my Civic. The bottles will last for a while.
I haven't tried the Poorboy's products, but there are a lot of people that are happy with them. EX, and EX-P are proven products.
Zaino is well known for it's durability, but you gotta buy into their entire system of products. ~85.00 for their basic kit.

bobbyd 06-09-2004 12:53 PM

Yeah, I am not saying I don't like Meguiars just to waste my breathe. I have tried tons of products and there are tons of better things out there. Klasse and Zaino are other great products.