Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Meguiars v.s. Mothers (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/149744-meguiars-v-s-mothers.html)

2k1sohc 04-13-2004 09:01 PM

Meguiars v.s. Mothers

Is there really any difference between their 3 step waxing systems? I noticed that Mothers is now cheaper than Meguiars. Is it because Meguiars has been aknowledged/proven to be a better quality wax?

rckdrmr 04-14-2004 11:10 AM

i like meguiars better.

PoisonFangs 04-14-2004 11:13 AM

I only use meguiars products on my little baby.

bobbyd 04-14-2004 12:24 PM

I HATE Meguiar's. I won't use their stuff anymore. Between those too I would go with Mother's.

EManEX 04-14-2004 12:53 PM

Originally posted by bobbyd
I HATE Meguiar's. I won't use their stuff anymore. Between those too I would go with Mother's.

What problems have you had with Meguiar's?

bobbyd 04-14-2004 12:57 PM

Let's see....where to begin...

Their clay bar was the worst one I have ever used, leaving clay stuck to the vehicle.

Their quick detailer is too oily and can leave smears.

Their waxes also leave oily residue behind.

Their waxes / sealants don't last long at all.

I just can not stand using their stuff. There are too many other products out there way better but people don't realize that. I used to be a Meguiar's user for a long time until I realized there was way better products than what the local Wal Mart sells.

MeguiarsEM 04-14-2004 02:16 PM

About the clay sticking to your vehicle, maybe the vehicle's surface was hot and you didn't apply enough lubrication for it to work.

About the waxes and spray detailer, the towel used might have been dirty or had other chemicals on it.

About the waxes not lasting long maybe the paint surface wasnt preped right.

Bottom line before you started any kind of work on your car's paint make sure it's surface is cold and away from the sun.

If you have other questions let me know maybe I can help you.

bobbyd 04-14-2004 02:29 PM

The clay really does suck. Search some detailing sites with professional detailers and they will tell you the same. The car was cooled and in my garage at the time and I was using plenty of lube and it did not help any.

I NEVER use a dirty towel.

I know how to prep the surface frist.

I have been detailing fo years and have used all sorts of products and Meguiar's has been the worst.

Check
www.Danase.com/gallery for some of my work.

albs 04-14-2004 03:43 PM

Meguiar's clay has been known to be sticky. There are better clay products out there, Clay Magic, Blackfire, Mother's.

Meguiar's Final Inspection QD spray is OK, but I'm trying other QD's to make a
comparison before I go out and buy a gallon of that stuff.

Their waxes hasn't lasted very long for me. I bought a bottle of their Medallion
Premium Paint Protection, and while it gave a great shine and good gloss. It didn't
last much more than a month. I switched to Klasse All In One topped off with their
Sealant Glaze, and it seems to be holding up a lot better than the Meguiars. BTW my
car is black and it stay's outside 24/7 here in the SF Bay Area.

I wouldn't say that Meguiar's waxes are "the worst", but carnaubas aren't known to
be a long lasting wax. That's why I switched to the Klasse products. It's an acrylic based
polymer.

Meguiar's products are, affordable, and easy to find.

I love to try other products on the market, like some of the higher end stuff that you
cant find in your local Napa/Pep Boy's/Kragen/Checkers store.

Most people who try a lot of different products will find that they like to mix and match
things. I found that Meguiar's #2 Fine Cut Cleaner is a good compound, but 3M's
SMR is easier to use than Meguiar's #9 Swirl emover.
I like the 3M SMR, but I also bought a can of the 1Z Metallic Polish to try:
http://www.detailersparadise.com/_Sy...D1225212614066

I'm not a fan of Meguiar's waxes, I think there are better products out there. But, I'll
continue to try some of their other products, like their compounds and polishes.

MeguiarsEM 04-14-2004 04:07 PM

What type of towel did you use to remove the wax? You mind telling me what steps you took to prep the car's surface? The clay you where using might have been old. Clay bars tend to get hard if not used regularly, packaged in a air tight container, or stored in a cool enviroment.
After every use spray a little quik detailer and put in a resalable container. That should help it stay fresh longer.

Originally posted by bobbyd
The clay really does suck. Search some detailing sites with professional detailers and they will tell you the same. The car was cooled and in my garage at the time and I was using plenty of lube and it did not help any.

I NEVER use a dirty towel.

I know how to prep the surface frist.

I have been detailing fo years and have used all sorts of products and Meguiar's has been the worst.

Check
www.Danase.com/gallery for some of my work.

albs 04-14-2004 04:29 PM

http://forums.roadfly.org/forums/detailing/search.php

Search for: "Meguiar's Clay Bar"

and see what others have to say.

bobbyd 04-14-2004 05:56 PM

Originally posted by MeguiarsEM
What type of towel did you use to remove the wax? You mind telling me what steps you took to prep the car's surface? The clay you where using might have been old. Clay bars tend to get hard if not used regularly, packaged in a air tight container, or stored in a cool enviroment.
After every use spray a little quik detailer and put in a resalable container. That should help it stay fresh longer.

Micro Fiber Towel was used to remove the wax...all types (Griot's, Pak Shak, and so on)

I would use a number of things ranging from their dual action cleaner/ polish to other various polishes. All after claying the vehicle and washing it. I used numberous waxes too, from there really crappy stuff to the Gold Class.

This clay bar was not old and hard...it was junk.

To each his own I guess.

bobbyd 04-14-2004 05:58 PM

Originally posted by albs
Meguiar's clay has been known to be sticky. There are better clay products out there, Clay Magic, Blackfire, Mother's.

Meguiar's Final Inspection QD spray is OK, but I'm trying other QD's to make a
comparison before I go out and buy a gallon of that stuff.

Their waxes hasn't lasted very long for me. I bought a bottle of their Medallion
Premium Paint Protection, and while it gave a great shine and good gloss. It didn't
last much more than a month. I switched to Klasse All In One topped off with their
Sealant Glaze, and it seems to be holding up a lot better than the Meguiars. BTW my
car is black and it stay's outside 24/7 here in the SF Bay Area.

I wouldn't say that Meguiar's waxes are "the worst", but carnaubas aren't known to
be a long lasting wax. That's why I switched to the Klasse products. It's an acrylic based
polymer.

Meguiar's products are, affordable, and easy to find.

I love to try other products on the market, like some of the higher end stuff that you
cant find in your local Napa/Pep Boy's/Kragen/Checkers store.

Most people who try a lot of different products will find that they like to mix and match
things. I found that Meguiar's #2 Fine Cut Cleaner is a good compound, but 3M's
SMR is easier to use than Meguiar's #9 Swirl emover.
I like the 3M SMR, but I also bought a can of the 1Z Metallic Polish to try:
http://www.detailersparadise.com/_Sy...D1225212614066

I'm not a fan of Meguiar's waxes, I think there are better products out there. But, I'll
continue to try some of their other products, like their compounds and polishes.

Finally someone who went beyond the Wal Mart specials!

I am telling you guys, if you try other things you will see there are better out there. Some people complain about the prices of the high end stuff but most of the high end stuff last way longer and goes on and off in a fraction of the time.

albs 04-14-2004 09:12 PM

It looks like we diverged a bit from the topic, but I'd like to make the point that
every manufacturer has their good and bad products.

Don't look at which 3-step brand is better, but use their basic methodology to create
your own mix-and-match system.

Wash
Clay (clean and prepare the paint) (Some wash after claying to remove clay/lube residue)
Compound (if necessary, to remove swirls, scratches, oxidation, etc)
Polish (brings out the gloss, round off swirl edges)
Glaze (if necessary, to fill in swirls)
Wax (protect/add depth)

Just make sure you don't use incompatible products. For example, some waxes/protectants will have cleaners to prepare the paint, and will remove a glaze (Klasse AIO).

Some info:
http://www.properautocare.com/whatdif.html

2k1sohc 04-15-2004 09:18 PM

Thanks Albs, that ^^ link was really helpful.

02civic_rida 04-23-2004 03:55 PM

I used the Mothers clay set and it worked great... made my car feelin and lookin brand new!

sihotan 05-10-2004 10:46 PM

Mother's Clay bar is way better than Meguiars. i've tried both.

mother has better Paste waxes also

MeguiarsEM 05-11-2004 03:10 PM

Explain better paste wax?

Originally posted by sihotan
Mother's Clay bar is way better than Meguiars. i've tried both.

mother has better Paste waxes also

rckdrmr 05-11-2004 10:18 PM

though i have not tried mothers products, i am very happy with meguiars (especially the nxt products!). imo, meguiars is on top of the game and is a step ahead of most of the car care products/brands out.

Meiyo 05-15-2004 09:42 AM

I use meguiar's. and whats that clay that u are talking about??
how do u use it??
I'm new at this.

Meiyo

thomusvoo 05-18-2004 02:08 PM

there both good.
if you know how to use it.