Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   the importance of claying! (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/133990-importance-claying.html)

rckdrmr 01-10-2004 04:08 PM

the importance of claying!

i've always been skeptical about claying thinking it wasn't a big deal and it might scratch my car. boy was i wrong! you see, i wash my car every week and didn't think that i didn't need to do it since it looked clean (i have a silver car). so i tried it today, after i washed my car/dried it, and i couldn't believe all the dirt/contaminants that came up in the clay, it literally was brown and filthy. so if anyone hasn't done it, YOU MUST! just because your car looks clean doesn't mean it is thoroughly. there all kinds of black dots, dirt, that penetrate into the paint that are very hard to see that washing can't get. eventually if you don't, it will dig into your paint and ruin it (kinda like that sandpaper look and feel). now she looks good, after i did that... and i put on some wax to boot. :D i used the meguiars quik detailer/clay bar which cost about $10, it's definitely worth it!

RedDragon333 01-10-2004 05:02 PM

Yea i did it once and OMG i loved the results, the paint couldnt have been smoother

danscreations 01-13-2004 12:22 PM

What does the clay do? I have never used it before....How do you used it, what are the results, should you do it and ten wax?!?!?

Tell me what you can about it. I'm going to do a car show this weekend and held of waxing intil I found out if I should clay it before.

rckdrmr 01-13-2004 01:13 PM

Originally posted by danscreations
What does the clay do? I have never used it before....How do you used it, what are the results, should you do it and ten wax?!?!?

Tell me what you can about it. I'm going to do a car show this weekend and held of waxing intil I found out if I should clay it before.

wash and dry your car thoroughly FIRST. then spray a good amount of the quik detailer on the car as well as the clay bar (do little sections at a time) and then gently glide over with the clay bar and go over the car thoroughly (no matter how hard you press, don't worry the clay bar is non abrasive and won't harm the finish). make sure you look and feel for any roughness, contaminants, dirt, black dots, etc... wipe off excess with microfiber towel. make sure it looks and feels smooth. like i mentioned... i thought my car looked clean as a whistle. then i clayed, and there was much dirt, contaminants, etc.. that came up in the clay bar, i was amazed (just look at the clay bar as your doing it, and you'll see what i'm talking about). if you don't do it, that's what digs into the paint and destroys it, and if you wait too long it's harder to get out. that's why some cars have that sandpaper feel and look on their finish, it's because of this. when your done you'll SEE the shiny, glassy appearance and it will look amazing, and follow with some wax. :D

Ras 01-19-2004 02:16 AM

i clay before waxing and polishing... but remember to be gentle though and to apply enough lube (LOL). go right to left or up and down, never in circles. but you fellas know all that.

sspem2 01-20-2004 10:11 AM

where can we buy the clay bar? ive been to target,walmart and cant find it.

rckdrmr 01-20-2004 01:33 PM

yeah, most places just sell the just the quik detailer alone. i would try autozone, and any other automotive store. it shouldn't cost more than $10, and comes in a little box with both quik detailer and clay bar. if you can't find the meguiars (labeled:quik clay detailing system) , there are other brands as well. i'm sure they all work the same purpose. you can also order it straight from meguiars, and i would highly recommend the NEW nxt products (not in stores till mid february, but can be purchased through them directly now). i just purchased some, and OMG it's the best ever! and you thought the gold class products were good. i think there's free shipping if you order any nxt products, check with them. while your there, get a free car care prescription. :D ---> http://www.meguiars.com

rckdrmr 01-31-2004 12:48 PM

>bump< as EVERYONE needs to clay if they haven't already. very important! your precious vic deserves it!! now go on.... go buy some already. :D

sspem2 01-31-2004 05:44 PM

i did and made a thread and it does work. my baby shines. :D:D:D i wash my car every week and i was surprised how much dirt was in my paint. im gonna start doin it every few months.

egot2da4th 01-31-2004 06:12 PM

it's a pain in the ass tho...takes too long

it'll suck if it rains after i do this....haha

Civicly02 01-31-2004 07:21 PM

its gonna rain tomorrow hahahahahaha......... naw but for reals it is gonna rain tomorrow