Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   How to keep paint as brand new for next 7 years? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/110696-how-keep-paint-brand-new-next-7-years.html)

orion_squall 08-21-2003 02:20 PM

How to keep paint as brand new for next 7 years?

All right,

I have seem 98 accord, 98 camery, 98 civic etc etc on the street.

Althought they are not old old car and paint on them didn't peel and there is no scratch. However, their paint just look dull, no matter what color they are. Even after putting on wax I believe their color won't be shine as new, it will still be dull.

So I have a queastion, "How to keep paint as brand new for next 7 years"? without of course repaint it.

Can someone answer this question?

some people say wash more often and wax more often, but I don't feel this will be a good solution, in fact, too many car wash and wax will make paint dull in the longterm.

So how do people keep their 7-8 years old car paint as new??

what is the secret??

civicdude 08-22-2003 08:08 AM

The secret is to take care of the paint....and here is how.

You can wash the car as many times as you like....I used to wash my cars everyday or every few days...but im really crazy.

Make sure you wax the car 2 times each month.

Do not use a cleaner wax everytime you wax the car...You can use a cleaner wax twice a year. You do not want to dull the paint.

Use only quality waxes....Carnuba....

Glaze the car every other wax....

Clay the car twice a year. I do mine during the spring, and then again right before the winter.

If you can, get a car cover....So the sun and outdoor elements arent always beating up your cars finish.

orion_squall 08-22-2003 10:44 AM

I am not sure what is clear wax...

I normally use "tutle wax" water based wax, are those cleaner wax? (mix in water and spray on)

do you usually use thicker wax (like gel a bit) which you will have to swirl them with fabric on car and can cause swirl print if not careful?

orion_squall 08-22-2003 11:05 AM

what is carcuba?? I thought it is a brand name but now I see Mother's brand WAX contain CARNUBA....

are those liquid or we still have to swirl it?

RedDragon333 09-12-2003 08:48 PM

whatever you do dont swirl it. Carnuba is an element that comes with the wax. I recommend Meqiuars

hondaguy2582 09-12-2003 10:24 PM

most important is regularly cleaning of the paint(what i mean by cleaning is regular washing, claying twice a year or more if needed, and polishing the paint with a paint cleaner at least once a year) and using a polymer like zaino, meguiars #20, klasse all in one and klasse sealant glaze(www.klassedirect.com), blackfire(properautocare.com), and platinum(www.premiumautocare.com) rather than using carnauba. I have both polymer and caranuba waxes, but my polymers last much much longer even with non frequent washings and daily driving conditions with uv exposure. Basically put, if your a person who wants the best protection for you paint, use a polymer. Best thing is to wash frequently(once a week or more if needed), and use a quick detailer afterwards to keep the polymer shine and protection. Another useful tool is the california car duster(wood handle). This is a great tool if you just want to get the dust(not heavy dirt) off your car without scratching and without washing(works great if you have a dark car that gets dusty no matter how good you make it look).

Hope this helps,

Aaron

p.s. g2 www.autopia.org if you want to seriously know more info about detailing, its where I developed my knowledge and skills from.

EviLMyStS 09-13-2003 07:33 PM

What's claying ?

orion_squall 09-13-2003 09:27 PM

I am not sure what is it neither, but I know they sale clay kits in any store that sale car sutffs.

civicdude 09-15-2003 07:45 AM

Clay is a product that removes the dirt in the paint and makes it smooth to the touch. Do a search in the detailing forum, you will find all the info you need about claying. Carnuba is an ingrediant in waxes...It isnt a brand of wax.

EviLMyStS 09-15-2003 12:29 PM

Thx dude

civicdude 09-16-2003 10:05 AM

Any time

TOOLOWCIVIC 09-23-2003 01:30 PM

I just bought the clay a week ago and it says to use it every time u wash. Will this mess up the paint or not??