Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing)
-   -   Dry Ice to fix dents? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/35-detailing/102437-dry-ice-fix-dents.html)

EManEX 07-08-2003 06:54 PM

Dry Ice to fix dents?

I heard that using dry ice will lift dents off the body. Is this true or is it just stupid? Thanks.

FALKEN 07-09-2003 05:52 PM

ive never heard of that before :susp:

DaZeD 07-09-2003 05:55 PM

i think that the ice would get stuck to car then when u lift it the dents will pop out

prccivic 07-09-2003 06:24 PM

Um....never heard of that trick...doesn't seem like the smartest way to do it though...especially if the ice gets stuck to the paint..

jonnyg 07-09-2003 11:17 PM

yes i have heard of doing that but im not sure if it works. first u have to heat up the dent with like a heat gun or hair dryer (this will make the metal expand) then you put the dry ice close up to the dent but not touching (this will contract the metal) and the dent should pop out.

EManEX 07-10-2003 10:34 AM

Why doesn't some one try it?

mad_stylz36 07-10-2003 07:54 PM

On my old civic i had some dents and I didn't know how to get them out. My uncle came up with a simple solution. He used a plunger, that's right a plunger. i tworked on the bigger dents that the plunger could fit in. He sucked the dents right out. Trip, huh.

NeonImpact 07-10-2003 07:57 PM

Originally posted by EManEX

more power to YOU!

seijin_av 07-11-2003 12:40 AM

On my old civic i had some dents and I didn't know how to get them out. My uncle came up with a simple solution. He used a plunger, that's right a plunger. i tworked on the bigger dents that the plunger could fit in. He sucked the dents right out. Trip, huh.
lol i did that with my friends 87 corolla... IT WORKED!!! HAHAHA really, it did!

jonnyg 07-11-2003 02:57 AM

Originally posted by EManEX
hey i think im gonna try it tomorrow cuz i have a couple good size dents i need to get out sooo ill get back to the post with results.

civicdude 07-11-2003 10:36 AM

Let us know what happens...I never heard of that before

EManEX 07-15-2003 12:05 PM

Originally posted by jonnyg
hey i think im gonna try it tomorrow cuz i have a couple good size dents i need to get out sooo ill get back to the post with results.

Any news?

prccivic 07-17-2003 02:40 AM

Originally posted by jonnyg
It sounds like it just could work. Good luck man...keep us posted :damn:

VNlilMAN 07-17-2003 03:29 PM

i didnt use dry ice but regular ice last time.. didnt really seem to work... dry ice is colder so i suppose it might

prccivic 07-17-2003 08:30 PM

and....do we know if it works yet?

HCCriminal 07-26-2003 06:41 AM

get one of those canned air thingie .. the one that u use to clean computers and such..... .turn it upside down .. and u got u'rself dry ice ..........:)
but i've tried this method a few times .. and it doesn't work ... :(

AltimaGuy03 08-01-2003 01:08 AM

ive heard of it you gotta wait for a hot day and when ur hood or whereever is hot when u put the ice on it contracts the metal and it pops up and looks alot better

rejekted 08-03-2003 11:36 PM

Cause if it doesn't work, then someone might of freaked up their paint :_doh:

prccivic 08-04-2003 02:00 AM

Originally posted by rejekted
Cause if it doesn't work, then someone might of freaked up their paint :_doh:

exactly...to big of a risk...some needs to try it on a beater

civicdude 08-07-2003 08:21 AM

Too bad I dont drive a beater, i would of tried it

prccivic 08-07-2003 06:14 PM

Ok then we need to pose this question.....WHO HAS A BEATER AND WANTS TO TRY IT??? :D

DaCurryman 08-10-2003 10:53 AM

Where would someone acquire dry ice to even try it?

prccivic 08-10-2003 11:53 PM

Originally posted by DaCurryman
Where would someone acquire dry ice to even try it?

Alot of places it sell it...you just gotta ask...we have an ice vendign machine in town that sells it and an Albertsons that sell it as well...they just don't always advertise it.

civicvtec1ps 08-18-2003 12:54 AM

haha i wonder if dryice would work.. cause i have 4 ugly dents on my driver side.

SomeDoodToo 08-18-2003 01:11 AM

MAn i tried that plunger crap one my old car and it didnt do anything but make my paint look fubared lol

Fern 08-23-2003 08:47 PM

A few things here, A. you can usually buy it from like an ince cream store; B. DO NOT touch this ish with bare hands- reeeeeeaally bad for you and your skin; and lastly, C. Don't touch it directly to paint, or anything for that matter, it will absolutely kill youre paint. TRy wrapping it in a towel if you try to do this. Also, just to let you know, I have never heard of this method actually working. The only thing its good for is things like removing the goo/insulation/tar underneath the carpet. Throw some on there, let it sit, it freezes up, and you can chip the stuff out. As for paint/dents, I dunno but ummm, let us know if it works out.

bluericeburna2k2 08-23-2003 08:51 PM

ummm how are you gonna hold the ICE?? cant use anything metal

Fern 08-23-2003 09:07 PM

with rubber gloves. HEAVY DUTY rubber gloves. Surgical gloves wont suffice, you need to go to home depot and ask them for heavy duty, water proof gloves. They're usually black and go halfway up your forearm and theyre fairly thick. Also, make sure their not wet at all when youre doin what your doin cause the ice will surely stick to the gloves.

prccivic 08-23-2003 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Fern
with rubber gloves. HEAVY DUTY rubber gloves. Surgical gloves wont suffice, you need to go to home depot and ask them for heavy duty, water proof gloves. They're usually black and go halfway up your forearm and theyre fairly thick. Also, make sure their not wet at all when youre doin what your doin cause the ice will surely stick to the gloves.

yep, very thick gloves...if it touches your skin its gonna burn soooo bad

Fern 08-23-2003 10:02 PM

yea i think it actually may even hurt more than being burnt by fire. And then you have to rip it off of your skin, think of taking a band-aid off, only this time it actually takes some skin with it. I used to work at an ice cream place in H.S. I touched it by accident once and it huuuuuurts.