Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   SOHC D17Ax non-VTEC - VTEC Engine Swaps (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/349-sohc-d17ax-non-vtec-vtec-engine-swaps)
-   -   1.7 non vtech engine in vtech car. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/349-sohc-d17ax-non-vtec-vtec-engine-swaps/372759-1-7-non-vtech-engine-vtech-car.html)

joed6785 03-15-2018 03:47 PM

1.7 non vtech engine in vtech car.

Well I’ll start off by saying the car is a beater, low budget in mind. I have an 02 1.7 vtech 5 speed car and spun a rod bearing, and I have a parts car which is an 02 5 speed 1.7 non vtech. I’d prefer to keep vtech and have no issue changing head and gaskets. I read somewhere they have different compression and oil slingers. What besides the head would need to be done to change the non vtech motor to vtech while both engines are out? Thanks.

piano55man 03-15-2018 04:03 PM

Re: 1.7 non vtech engine in vtech car.

Get a new oem headgasket, clean up the vtec head off the blown engine and slap that onto the non-vtec engine.
most of the time people ask about taking a non vtec car and installing vtec...your situation should be simple since you already have the wiring and ecu for vtec.

sdaidoji 03-15-2018 04:59 PM

and don't use the non-VTEC head - ECU will not work well and go to limp mode because it cannot find the VTEC signal.

ezone 03-15-2018 07:10 PM

If it chewed up a bottom bearing, there's probably metal all throughout the entire engine, including up in the heads oil passages, cam and valvetrain.....to set vtec codes, and waiting for the worst possible time to cause even more damage

Replace the complete engine with a correct unit!

piano55man 03-16-2018 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4741776)
If it chewed up a bottom bearing, there's probably metal all throughout the entire engine, including up in the heads oil passages, cam and valvetrain.....to set vtec codes, and waiting for the worst possible time to cause even more damage

Replace the complete engine with a correct unit!

I take it your not a gambling man???:lol:

mac25 03-16-2018 03:54 PM

-vtec head
-solenoid
-wiring to the ecu from vtec solenoid
-vtec ecu
-reflash for your key to start the new ecu

You then may get a CEL for emission system errors since the non vtec system uses an exhaust manifold in place of a header and the O2 sensors are in diferent spots... but it should run. You'll probably also lose power if you don't run the vtec header.

so...

-vtec header or aftermarket larger header.
-vtec exhaust system.
-you may also need to extend one of the O2 sensor wires

dsm482 03-20-2018 11:18 PM

i would see if the head is damaged from metal parts after u take it apart.. if good use vtec head on your spare motor . and you are good to go.

piano55man 03-21-2018 10:17 AM

You might want to take the vtec head to a machine shop to do a pressure check and to clean it up for you. If it's good, obviously use it. If not, get another one. These engines and parts are easily found at your local pic-n-pull yard or on ebay.