Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Transmission swap (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/348-transmission-swap)
-   -   D17 Xmission Compatibility (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/348-transmission-swap/368938-d17-xmission-compatibility.html)

Crovax 12-11-2016 12:03 PM

D17 Xmission Compatibility

Hi, I was wondering what (if anything) is different between bolting a manual transmission vs. an automatic transmission to the D17 block.

Will I need anything special (adapters, brackets, etc) to take an auto tranny off the D17a1 and put on a manual tranny? Or are they pretty much interchangeable to the block? (not to the car, obv that's different)

I only have the manual one in front of me, so I don't have an auto to look at for reference.

Thanks!

Colin42 12-11-2016 09:29 PM

Re: D17 Xmission Compatibility

shouldn't be any difference in the bellhousings. You're doing an auto to manual swap? keep in mind there's a ton of parts that have to get changed out, including the ecu and the ecu you put in has to match the engine/trans combo you're going to run: vtec/nonvtec, auto/manual. and the immobilizer/ecu will have to be programmed at honda in order for to run properly. there is a thread on the forum where someone has already done this, do some searching

Crovax 12-12-2016 10:15 AM

Yeah, I've seen all those threads, but I'm not doing an auto to manual swap on the car, just on the engine block. See, my car is a manual, but the motor I want to drop in has an auto tranny bolted to it. I just wanted to make sure that my car's manual will bolt to where the replacement engine's auto is currently bolted. Sounds like it should, so I should be good to go.

Yeah, there's a ton of stuff like you said if I was doing the swap for the car itself, more than I probably would care to do. lol

Colin42 12-12-2016 10:55 AM

Exactly, you're better off just buying a manual car, but dropping an auto engine into a manual car should be no problem. Just make sure you don't change anything else in the engine bay (adding/removing egr or vtec, etc) That will cause you grief.

Crovax 12-12-2016 11:28 AM

For sure, thanks for the tips!

I think I got what I need, thanks again. Hopefully going to start on this soon. I was thinking I may try to get some good pics and do another DIY for the site. I know there are already some out there, but the pictures on a lot of them don't work anymore (at least for me).

ezone 12-12-2016 12:45 PM

See, my car is a manual, but the motor I want to drop in has an auto tranny bolted to it.
All I can think of that's drastically different is exchanging the flexplate for the flywheel and pilot bearing.

Crovax 12-12-2016 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4716714)
All I can think of that's drastically different is exchanging the flexplate for the flywheel and pilot bearing.

Ah, so the flywheel is different. I guess that makes sense since one has to marry with a clutch, correct? I imagine both are interchangeable to the block in the same fashion, so would it just be a matter of swapping the flywheel/clutch out as well to satisfy the transmission?

This is all hypothetical for me at the moment. My "plan A" is to reuse my current engine block, but if for some reason I need to use the one from the auto tranny, I'd like to have my homework done.

ezone 12-12-2016 02:11 PM

It's all simple swapping, make the new one look like the original.