Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Transmission swap (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/348-transmission-swap)
-   -   Difference Between Vtec and Non-Vetec Manual Trans (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/348-transmission-swap/367022-difference-between-vtec-non-vetec-manual-trans.html)

Colin42 03-28-2016 08:33 AM

Difference Between Vtec and Non-Vetec Manual Trans

Hey guys,
So my car (2005 lx sedan) has a bad input shaft bearing.
Last week I bought a used tranny to put in my car. This will give me time to rip apart my old trans, and try to fix the bad bearing while still having the ability to drive my car. (I work six days a week)

The trans that I bought is out of coupe with vtec. So my question is, am I going to have to replace anything to make it work in my car?

I didn't think so at first, but now I'm starting to wonder.

Are the axles the same?

I was planning on putting in a new clutch and having the flywheel machined while I was swapping the trans. From what I can tell It's the same part number from exedy.

The guy I bought the trans from gave me the starter for the trans, so I have the starter, if mine isn't compatible.

Thanks in advance for any input.

ezone 03-28-2016 05:57 PM

Re: Difference Between Vtec and Non-Vetec Manual Trans

Biggest difference I can think of might be the gear ratios.
Otherwise, I'd think it should bolt right on.

sdaidoji 03-28-2016 07:39 PM

yeah, the EX is shorter geared. I think the axles were the same, case the same.

ezone 03-28-2016 09:20 PM

Nerd alert!

There's a boatload of axle choices in a Honda parts catalog, different between VTEC and non-VTEC and country of manufacture, in addition to trans type.

Consult an aftermarket parts catalog to see if they show differences?

Colin42 03-29-2016 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4704992)
Biggest difference I can think of might be the gear ratios.
Otherwise, I'd think it should bolt right on.

Originally Posted by sdaidoji (Post 4705001)
yeah, the EX is shorter geared. I think the axles were the same, case the same.

Ok cool, so a little quicker off the line?

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4705004)
Nerd alert!

There's a boatload of axle choices in a Honda parts catalog, different between VTEC and non-VTEC and country of manufacture, in addition to trans type.

Consult an aftermarket parts catalog to see if they show differences?

I checked torontohondaparts.com and there only seemed to be two options for axles, one for the DX, and one for the higher trim models, so maybe it has to do with abs?

Thanks for the help guys!

ezone 03-29-2016 07:18 AM

Maybe...
I'm in the US, my factory catalog does not tell what the differences are nor what can interchange. All this gives is different part numbers.

Aftermarket generally consolidates more than factory.

Colin42 03-29-2016 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4705022)
Maybe...
I'm in the US, my factory catalog does not tell what the differences are nor what can interchange. All this gives is different part numbers.

Aftermarket generally consolidates more than factory.

Ok, thanks ezone, the site is supposed to supply OEM parts, I found it through one of the stickys on here.

The image is from selecting 05 civic 4 door with a manual trans, selecting an 05 2 door manual trans gives the same options.

So it seems like I'll be ok. Only one way to find out.

Colin42 03-30-2016 03:01 PM

Question about the flywheel....
Is it a 'stepped' design? I've been phoning around for machining prices and they all seem to be +$100 and one shop mentioned that it was because it was a 'stepped' flywheel.

ezone 03-30-2016 03:18 PM

If the flywheel isn't damaged and the last clutch did not chatter, I just slap the new clutch parts on and go. My best luck seems to be not touching anything I don't absolutely have to.

That said, the Honda service manual says to not machine the flywheel. If it needs anything then it gets replaced

Colin42 03-30-2016 03:45 PM

Ok thanks ezone,
I don't think it's chattering, hard to tell with all the input bearing noise.
The input shaft will probably be damaged when I rip apart the trans, it drives fine though.

Colin42 04-14-2016 08:33 AM

Quick question, do I need 12 point sockets for the flywheel and pressure plate?
Hopefully doing this on Sunday.

ezone 04-14-2016 08:40 AM

I really can't remember.....been a long time.
Newer stuff uses 12pt on flywheel bolts so I bet that does too, and pretty sure the pressure plate uses 6pt.

Colin42 04-14-2016 09:11 AM

Ok thanks ezone, any chance you'd remember the sizes off the top of your head?

ezone 04-14-2016 12:34 PM

You're asking for an awful lot....I can't remember if I wiped my ass or washed my hands 10 minutes ago....*shakes your hand*

8th gen uses 17mm 12pt on its flex plate. That's about all I remember.

You should always have a variety of the usual Asian car metric sizes, 90% of the car will be using some form of: 8 10 12 14 17 19, plus something for the axle nuts

Colin42 04-14-2016 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4705987)
You're asking for an awful lot....I can't remember if I wiped my ass or washed my hands 10 minutes ago....*shakes your hand*

:rofl:

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4705987)
8th gen uses 17mm 12pt on its flex plate. That's about all I remember.

You should always have a variety of the usual Asian car metric sizes, 90% of the car will be using some form of: 8 10 12 14 17 19, plus something for the axle nuts

Thanks, I called the Honda dealer here, they said 17mm 12pt for the flywheel, and 10mm 12 pt for the pressure plate. So we'll find out Sunday if they were correct.

I have lots of sockets, just not too many of the 12 point variety. So I ordered the 17mm and the 10mm from a place here in town and they should be here tomorrow. (I'm 90% certain I don't have those ones already, and they were $8 each). I have a 32mm for the axle nuts, I think everything else is normal sizes.

Currently I'm getting 7.5L/100km, or 31.36 MPG, so it will be interesting to see what my mileage will be like after the swap. Probably a little lower, but hopefully not too bad.

Colin42 04-18-2016 07:45 AM

Got it done yesterday, took a while longer than I expected, buts it drives and shifts way nicer than it did before. Of course I broke the two spring bolts for the exhaust, but that will get fixed today. Haven't taken it out on the highway yet though.