Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Transmission swap (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/348-transmission-swap)
-   -   Help with Swapping Auto Transmission (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/348-transmission-swap/200576-help-swapping-auto-transmission.html)

Civicious 03-04-2005 02:28 PM

Help with Swapping Auto Transmission

I am going to swap out my automatic transmission on my 2001 Civic DX this weekend.

I have heard many people are able to pull the tranny without dropping the sub frame or puling the engine. Does anyone know how I can pull the tranny through the top of the bay. There used to be a topic on this by a user named "Doober" but I can't find it anymore.

Any help is appreciated.

MarylandEcstasy 03-04-2005 03:01 PM

If you check the DIY engine swap with the K20, you'll find that our engine bay is too small to lift the motor / tranny from the top.. you need to find a lift and do it from the bottom

Civicious 03-04-2005 03:33 PM

Thank you for your reponse MarylandEctasy.

However I am not doing a K20 swap. I am swapping a transmission with another transmission of the same type. I have not read the thread you are reffering to but I can tell you first hand that it is inaccurate if it says you cannot pull a d17 from the top. I know first hand that you can. I have pulled my engine with transmission attached right through the top of the engine bay. What I am asking now is how to pull the trans straight through the top without the engine attached. I know it's possible cause someone did it in the past. Unfortunatley the user "Doober" who did it cannot be loacted on this site anymore. I am hoping someone else has experience with this?

Civicious 03-04-2005 04:10 PM

Mods can you please move my thread to Tech Stuff? I realize this is the wrong Forum cause I am not reporting a problem I'm looking for a solution.

Thank you!

Civicious 03-16-2005 01:25 PM

Well I wound up pulling the entire motor with tranny attached through the top of the engine bay again. Car runs like new after I swapped the tranny out.

blouisgod 03-16-2005 03:45 PM

Damn, nice work.

How hard is it to pull the trans out? I'm thinking of doing my own clutch and flywheel replacement.

Gangsta Dave 03-16-2005 03:48 PM

pics?????

Civicious 03-16-2005 04:05 PM

Well a long time ago someone mentioned they were able to pull the transmission by separating it from the engine while still in the bay. However, I would have likely spent more time trying to figure that out rather then just pulling the entire motor and transmission all together.

I have an automatic so I am not sure how different/hard a clutch and flywheel would be. I would imagine they would be quite similar in disassembly. I would say if you haven't had experience using engine hoists or doing something like this before, don't do it by yourself. I had help from an experienced friend who has swapped a Ford V8 into his 4 Cyl Jeep.

The hardest part is pulling the motor out without scraping the various pieces of hardware on the firewall and fender wells. But we managed to do this without damaging anything. The other bitch is aligning all the mounts with minimal space to work when putting the engine/tranny back in.

Unfortunately I didn't take pics this time. My digital camera is very nice and I usually had various oils and grease all over my hands anyway.

Last time I took a few pics when I swapped out my engine but the pics were by far not DIY worthy.