Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Transmission swap (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/348-transmission-swap)
-   -   auto to manual (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/348-transmission-swap/199341-auto-manual.html)

ruckus1 02-25-2005 12:20 AM

auto to manual

anybody ever changed an automatic trans over to a stick, im wanting to do it in an 05 vp, I HATE AUTOS

Civic_RedLine 02-25-2005 01:56 AM

you will probablyy throw your warranty like that. I would keep everything stock til warranty runs out.

ruckus1 02-25-2005 03:11 AM

probrably, but im interested in doing it, need a shifter console, and a shifter, a tranny, clutch, clutch pedal, clutch cable, cable bracket, and the linkages, hell i wish i could just steal last years dx, and do it

againifall 02-25-2005 06:46 AM

you could hit a salvage yard for a bunch of the parts..

leonhsieh 02-25-2005 07:00 AM

if ur car is still under warrenty, i suggest you just trade in ur car in for 5 speed.

MarylandEcstasy 02-25-2005 08:23 AM

^thats a good idea.. but you just threw out green for an auto..hmm

EternalBlue_Vic 02-25-2005 08:52 PM

Here's what ur gonna need:

--EM2 LX/DX or Ex transmission. Make sure it comes with the clutch fork! (Ex would be best performance wise, they have closer gears)
--05 manual Center Console
--Stock shifter assembly or Revo Shifter assembly (w/ CapYoda's bushings and Grey's upgrade kit) (If you go to honda to buy their stock shifter, the revo may be cheaper, and its MUCH better 1.5" lower and 30% less shifter throw.)
--Shift knob
--Boot cover
--Gear linkage from the shifter to the top of the trans along with washers, clips, and bushings. (Hit ur honda dealer up for that)
--Flywheel, ACT Prolite, or Street lite (Auto's use what's called a "Flex Plate", somewhat like a flywheel but not as durable. DO NOT USE THE FLEX PLATE!)
--Pressure Plate/Clutch/Throw out bearing/Pilot bearing- kit (ACT HD00, or something to that effect.
--Clutch Master cylinder, slave cylinder, and hydralic lines. (again, go to ur honda dealer)
--Clutch pedal w/ misc parts such as bolts, etc. (Honda again)
--Clutch position sensor (yes..honda) (manuals won't crank unless the clutch is engaged which closes the circuit on the CP sensor, so some wiring into the ECU is required.)
--And if it were me--> 05 manual Instrument console.

If you have anymore ?'s, PM me

EDIT:

One thing i'm not sure about is if the gear teeth (name?) on an auto flex plate and a manual flywheel are the same or not. If not, you'll need a matching starter gear on the starter solinoid.

wonderz 02-25-2005 10:05 PM

i don't know, if your car is still stock or can easily change back to stock, i would just sell the auto and buy a used stick-shift or something...
much easier than doing the tranny swap.

hotrodcivic2004 02-25-2005 10:14 PM

i plan on doing this this summer with the help of bgoetz, he did it to his vic and it made a HUGE diff. its night and day. i cant wait to do it.

EternalBlue_Vic 02-25-2005 10:38 PM

there's much more pride in doing a conversion!

hotrodcivic2004 02-26-2005 12:07 AM

i think i'll learn alot and it'll be good experience, not to mention i love gettin my hands dirty and doing stuff myself

Michalo187 02-26-2005 12:33 AM

Yeah just sell it and get a Standard. Dont convert anything

EternalBlue_Vic 02-26-2005 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by hotrodcivic2004
i think i'll learn alot and it'll be good experience, not to mention i love gettin my hands dirty and doing stuff myself

Same here, that persuaded me down the auto mechanic path in life, i'm about to get my ASE certification/license :sweet:

Finally i can leave my crumby grease monkey job and become a REAL mechanic!