Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Engine (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/329-engine)
-   -   oil leak from intake mainfold or bad head gasket? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/329-engine/364604-oil-leak-intake-mainfold-bad-head-gasket.html)

hoofboy 07-13-2015 11:56 AM

oil leak from intake mainfold or bad head gasket?

I just replaced my head, rebuilt, and head gasket and put everything back together, runs fine, but I've got an oil leak that seems to come from the bottom side of the intake manifold. Checked the valve cover gasket, it was dry. Torque on head bolts is to specs, but I used new stretch bolts and was wondering if I need to tighten them more than the 49 ft/lbs? Thanks in advance

mikey1 07-13-2015 01:26 PM

Re: oil leak from intake mainfold or bad head gasket?

the intake manifold or gasket can not leak oil,

i would suspect it be coming from the valve cover or the oil filter in that area

ezone 07-13-2015 02:32 PM

The head bolts are not stretch type
The head gasket should not be able to leak oil
The intake manifold and gasket cannot leak oil

your oil leak could be merely leftover residue from the mess made during the job,
could be VTEC solenoid valve gaskets or pressure switch,
could be bore plug where dist would go, valve cover gasket, cam caps,
could be other stuff? Oil filter, oil pressure switch?

Wankenstein 07-17-2015 02:35 AM

above

Wankenstein 07-17-2015 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by hoofboy (Post 4689068)
I just replaced my head, rebuilt, and head gasket and put everything back together, runs fine, but I've got an oil leak that seems to come from the bottom side of the intake manifold. Checked the valve cover gasket, it was dry. Torque on head bolts is to specs, but I used new stretch bolts and was wondering if I need to tighten them more than the 49 ft/lbs? Thanks in advance

Please list your model .. if you have Vtec .. it could very well be leaking from there as stated by Ezone. Also pics would help too.

hoofboy 07-17-2015 01:42 PM

I have a non Vtec motor, where is the oil pressure switch? Should there be a distributor plug if there is no distributor? thanks

Originally Posted by turd_ferguson (Post 4689275)
Please list your model .. if you have Vtec .. it could very well be leaking from there as stated by Ezone. Also pics would help too.

ezone 07-17-2015 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by hoofboy (Post 4689292)
I have a non Vtec motor, where is the oil pressure switch?

Above the oil filter

Should there be a distributor plug if there is no distributor? thanks
There is. It's the black cap plugging the hole in the end of the head where a distributor would have gone if it were so equipped. They tend to leak after many miles just like all the rest of the rubber gaskets.

Get a can of brake cleaner (or similar) and clean off all the goo and oil residue so you can start fresh. Drive it a while then recheck for new evidence of leaks.

Throwing on a coating of talc can help identify leaks too, but you gotta start with a perfectly clean surface before throwing talc at it. Any white powder can work, including foot spray or Right Guard.