Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Air Conditioning (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/324-air-conditioning)
-   -   2018 civic ac compressor (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/324-air-conditioning/376330-2018-civic-ac-compressor.html)

Mpeter 05-12-2019 03:52 PM

2018 civic ac compressor

I just bought a 2018 civic ex-l with the 1.5 turbo. Went to use the air conditioning and the compressor is not kicking on. I checked the 10amp fuse, and that was good, is there a relay somewhere I can check? Also, the vehicle only has 3900 miles. So the compressor clutch shouldn't be worn out. Let me know any thoughts or ideas you have, thanks in advance

sdaidoji 05-12-2019 03:59 PM

Re: 2018 civic ac compressor

it should have a warranty.

Use it

Mpeter 05-12-2019 04:10 PM

No warranty. Has a rebuilt title. It is the only thing I've found wrong with it. And its gotta be a relay, a wire, or the clutch. Which the clutch should be fine. Unless I'm missing something else to check

Mpeter 05-13-2019 09:34 AM

I did find the relay for the compressor, just not sure how exactly to check it. I pulled it, and shook it, heard no rattles...

ezone 05-13-2019 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mpeter (Post 4761591)
Unless I'm missing something else to check

Is the system low or empty?

Mpeter 05-13-2019 11:17 AM

I am not sure, how does one check? I know the fuse and relay "seem" good, and the compressor clutch doesn't appear to be engaging. Therefore, no cold air.

ezone 05-13-2019 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mpeter (Post 4761623)
I am not sure, how does one check?

Same way anyone would check on any other automotive AC system, except you now need the specialized equipment to service current AC systems that use HFO-1234yf refrigerant

Personally, I'd begin with my scanner and check for fault codes and read the ACPSI value in the live data list, then decide what my next step would be

Mpeter 05-13-2019 01:46 PM

Sounds easy enough, if only I had a scanner and the special equipment for ac service, haha. Thanks though, maybe I'll do some checking locally see if someone has some stuff to help me out

fijiblue05 07-16-2019 08:20 PM

The A/C compressor in my 2016 Civic EX had a leaking seal and had leaked onto the clutch and coil. It was going to cost nearly $1600 at the Honda dealership. (I have about 86k miles and it's less than 4 years old.) Luckily I had an extended warranty from CNA National Warranty Corporation. It only cost a $100 deductible to replace the A/C compressor, clutch, and coil at the Honda dealership.

Mpeter 07-16-2019 10:16 PM

I have a rebuilt title, so no warranty, and I don't want to buy a 3rd party warranty, especially with only 6k miles. I did add refrigerant and as of right now, the AC is working. We'll see how long it lasts, if I have a bad seal.

fijiblue05 07-17-2019 04:19 PM

I did some research before when my A/C stopped feeling cold to see if there were any common issues. I didn't see much posted here from our forum users regarding issues. But elsewhere it seemed like most people who had issues with the A/C determined the issue was the compressor. That's awesome that all yours needs is the refrigerant for now!

fijiblue05 11-12-2019 10:51 PM

Hey guys! I just received a letter from Honda

Warranty Extension: A/C Condenser Leaks

This warranty only covers vehicles that have a defective air conditioning condenser installed at the factory. The A/C condenser was not manufactured to specification. As a result, tiny holes may develop in the condenser tube walls that allow refrigerant to leak out. The warranty will not apply to any vehicle that has a leaking condenser due to foreign object damage.

American Honda is extending the warranty on the A/C condenser to 10 years from the original date of purchase with no mileage limit.

This warranty extension will not apply to any vehicle that has even been declared a total loss or sold for salvage by a financial institution or insurer, or has a branded or similar title under any state's law.

What should you do?
If the vehicle's A/C does not blow cold air, go to any authorized Honda dealer to have the vehicle inspected. If the A/C condenser is leaking because it was not manufactured to specification, it will be replaced. This work will be done for free. Please plan to leave your vehicle at the dealer for at least a day to allow them flexibility in scheduling.

Mpeter 11-13-2019 06:28 AM

My ac was still working up until it got cold here, then I obviously stopped using it. So the letter is nice of them. I like how it specifies that any and all salvage or similar titles vehicles are excluded. (Because the rear damage my car received, totally messed up the compressor. Which was already trash from the factory) haha. Oh well. At least so far I'm having good luck, just not with warranty claims.

rajuncajun9 09-07-2020 08:51 AM

I have the same car, 2018 Honda Civic Turbo, and have the A/C problems. The dealership says it is the 'compressor'. $1200+ repair. Who else is having this problem?
I haven't really been using the A/C much until recent, but it can be cold and then not, cold, then not. I think the right side is cold and the driver side is not too. Not sure what is going on.
May be past my warranty period with all the Covid etc.

ezone 09-07-2020 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by rajuncajun9 (Post 4779627)
I have the same car, 2018 Honda Civic Turbo, and have the A/C problems. The dealership says it is the 'compressor'. $1200+ repair. Who else is having this problem?

I've seen it. The 2016 Civic I bought for my GFs mother needs a compressor.

I think the right side is cold and the driver side is not too. Not sure what is going on.
A symptom of low refrigerant charge.
That means the system has a leak.
They apparently found the source of your leak, the compressor.
Leak needs fixed.
Replace compressor.
The price is the price.
This new refrigerant is not cheap, and neither are parts and labor.

May be past my warranty period with all the Covid etc.
Don't wait until its definitely expired. Call your dealer and find out when yours does.
3 years or 36000 miles, unless you bought a extended warranty/service contract that covers it