Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion)
-   -   Aftermarket Parts Instead of Stock? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/54421-aftermarket-parts-instead-stock.html)

Clownswlleatu 09-13-2002 10:17 PM

Aftermarket Parts Instead of Stock?

Okay so I just got in a accident and totaled the front end of my car. I was wondering if it's possible to have the body shop use aftermarket parts for the fenders, bumber, grill etc. I think the aftermarket parts may even be less expensive than stock honda ones. What do you guys and gals think? I'd like to make the best of this accident and get Z3 fenders and a full xenon bumper replacement etc. If i can.

Duckor 09-13-2002 10:21 PM

I was wondering this also, can you use the money in any way you want?

i've never been in an accident and i dont know how it exactly works.

touwseew 09-13-2002 10:27 PM

when u get into an accident, you can choose to 1)get it fixed at a shop and the insurance company pays the shop OR 2)insurance directly pays you for the estimated amt damaged. if you choose #2 you can do whatever you want with the money. if you choose #1 i think theyre suppose to use stock parts, but im not 100% sure.

VNlilMAN 09-13-2002 10:29 PM

depends on the shop usually not unless if you know someone..

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE 09-13-2002 10:56 PM

noobs getting into front end car accidents...heh

dragoon 09-14-2002 10:23 AM

dude i thought your g5 kit looked tight

ultraxedge 09-14-2002 06:57 PM

I was in sort of the same situation. A lady hit my car when it was parked, and messed up my front bumper. There's one thing no one seems to understand, insurance companys will not buy "Honda certified parts." They will buy cheap aftermarket replicas of Honda OE parts, so you won't necessarily be getting the same bumper anyway.

I was dealing w/the lady's insurance company, and they gave me the option of getting their cheap aftermarket replica front bumper, or taking that cash and buying a different bumper. I did that, and paid the difference of $167 to get a Xenon front bumper (see members rides). I still got the painting and lifetime warranty by using their "blue ribbon shop." I did this because then everything was paid for, and the shop has experience with aftermarket mods.

That was just my experience, good luck with the insurance company... It took me a month to get it all taken care of back in July, and I just got an invoice to pay the same bill yesterday cause someone screwed up, but it was worth the trouble to get the part I wanted.

VNlilMAN 09-15-2002 01:41 AM

you got jacked... should have demanded an OEM bumper cause it wasnt even your fault... take em to small claims if you have to.

JoeB16 09-15-2002 01:46 AM

if it costs less then the OEM honda parts, get a quote from a place stating the price for the OEM parts (from the dealer), then use that money to buy the cheaper aftermarket stuff and keep the rest of the cash.

SoNiCcIvIc 09-15-2002 01:53 AM

Some body shops also do not install body kits (though they would paint them) so find one that does. It shouldn't be too hard.