Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion)
-   -   Yet Another Reason not to buy a Hyundai ....... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/53782-yet-another-reason-not-buy-hyundai.html)

Crashoveride 09-10-2002 12:35 PM

Yet Another Reason not to buy a Hyundai .......

I found this article on one of my news pages just now ....................

[hr]1.5M Hyundais have less hp than advertised
By Canadian Press Sep 10, 2002

By Gary Norris
TORONTO (CP) -- The owners of about 1.5 million Hyundai cars sold in North America got less horsepower than they paid for, the Korean-based automaker disclosed Sept. 9, 2002 as it offered warranty enhancements in compensation to the most seriously underpowered.

Hyundai Auto Canada said horsepower ratings were erroneous in marketing material covering 237,000 vehicles sold in Canada.

About 1.3 million Hyundais sold in the United States were also affected.

The errors, averaging 3.6 ponies per car, had "no impact on the safety or reliability of any vehicles," Hyundai stressed.

Hyundai Auto Canada said it used horsepower figures from Hyundai Motor America, which did not verify that preliminary data from the South Korean parent matched the actual horsepower.

"As an expression of goodwill and an attempt to demonstrate how important Hyundai customers are to us, we are offering certain enhancements to those individuals whose models' horsepower ratings were misstated by more than four per cent," stated Hyundai Canada president Steve Kelleher.

The errors date back as far as 1992, and owners of pre-2000-model-year Hyundais with power shortfalls of more than four per cent will receive three-year unlimited-kilometre roadside assistance coverage, Kelleher said.

On late-model cars underpowered by more than four per cent, Hyundai is offering a choice between three warranty improvements: extending roadside assistance benefits to six years from three, extending the new-vehicle limited warranty to four years from three, or extending the powertrain warranty to six years from five.

The biggest discrepancies in percentage terms were with the 1997-98 Sonata 2.0-litre sedan, advertised with 137 horsepower but in fact propelled by 125, and the 2001-2002 Sonata and Santa Fe SUV with 2.4-litre engines, 11 horsepower shy of their advertised 149.

Among other affected models (rated and actual horsepower bracketed) are the 2003-model Tiburon 2.0 litre (140-134), the 2002 Sonata 2.7 litre (181-170), 2001-02 Santa Fe 2.7 litre (181-173), 2001 XG300 3.0 litre (190-182) and 2000 Sonata 2.5 litre (170-163).

Pre-2000 models covered by the roadside-assistance upgrade include the 1996-1997 Accent 1.5 litre DOHC (105 advertised, 98 or 99 delivered), 1999 Accent 1.5 litre (92-88), 1997 Elantra 1.8 litre (130-124).

Assorted other Accents, Elantras, Tiburons and Scoupes from various years have power shortfalls smaller than the four per cent threshold beyond which Hyundai offers improved warranties.

However, owners of 2.0-litre Sonatas from the 1992-93 model years got a bonus: advertised with 126 horsepower, those cars actually were motivated by 131.

Owners or lessees of the vehicles identified for warranty upgrades will receive letters from Hyundai. Information is also available at 1-800-673-3289 or www.hyundaiupdate.ca.

The power restatement "was originally prompted by a review by Industry Canada," said Mark Orlando, director of marketing for Hyundai Canada.

"Because we get our information from Hyundai Motor America, we went to HMA and said we need documentation for these horsepowers, and that's what started it all."

Hyundai promised Monday that future promotional material will be checked by the automaker's director of engineering and design analysis to ensure the numbers match the correct horsepower ratings.
[hr]

robbclark1 09-10-2002 12:42 PM

Already posted

VNlilMAN 09-10-2002 12:50 PM

whether or not is has 3 hp or less i still got my butt whipped by a hyundai twice.... main reason why i hate this car. our cars are just one of the slowest cars. dont get me wrong, i'm not hating or anything cause i didnt buy this car thinking it was fast. thats why i just dont plan on racing this thing.

watewate 09-10-2002 04:25 PM

dotn talk smack about hyundai, they actually make decent cars now.

NBPCivic 09-10-2002 04:54 PM

where exactly did he "talk smack". He just posted an article. :_please::_please::_please: some people

Ducatti 09-10-2002 05:04 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: NBPCivic
where exactly did he "talk smack". He just posted an article. :_please::_please::_please: some people[hr]
Well, he did say "Yet another Reason not to buy a Hyundai" so I would classify that as talking "smack". :_please::_please::_please: some people

NBPCivic 09-10-2002 05:08 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: Ducatti

[hr]Originally posted by: NBPCivic
where exactly did he "talk smack". He just posted an article. :_please::_please::_please: some people[hr]
Well, he did say "Yet another Reason not to buy a Hyundai" so I would classify that as talking "smack". :_please::_please::_please: some people[hr]
Is it not a REASON to not buy a hyundai??? If someone says, give me some reasons why I shouldn't buy a Hyundai, one would be, "well they have overstated the power of their cars." That is a reason not to buy one. :_please::_please::_please::_please: SOME PEOPLE

Krepoort 09-10-2002 05:12 PM

I would think that's a legit reason. If a company admits it has lied about its products for 10 years, would you grab your keys and go out to buy from them? Just stating the obvious is not smack talk. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

-Kre

NBPCivic 09-10-2002 05:13 PM

Thank You.

JoeB16 09-10-2002 06:13 PM

Dear Hyundai Owner,
At Hyundai, we value you as a customer and appreciate your business. We are committed to maintaining an open and honest relationship with you.

It is for this reason that I'm writing to you. We made an error in the information published about the horsepower of the engine in your Tiburon. The horsepower rating was published as 181, when it is actually 170.

I want you to know that this error does not impact the safety or reliability of your Tiburon. Be assured that I have taken steps here at Hyundai to make sure that this does not happen again.

I hope you’ll accept my personal apology. I'm very proud of the cars we make. And, I'm equally proud of the people around the world who build, sell and service our cars. More importantly, I want you to be proud of the car you drive.

To back up my apology, I would like to offer you a choice of one of the following enhancements to your Hyundai vehicle.

Extending your Roadside Assistance Benefit from 3 years/unlimited kms, to 6 years/unlimited kms.

Extending your New Vehicle Limited Warranty from 3 years/60,000 kms, to 4 years/80,000 kms.

Or, extending your Powertrain Limited Warranty from 5 years/100,000 kms, to 6 years/120,000 kms.

You will have, or will be receiving a package from us with a postage paid reply card.

Please indicate your warranty enhancement choice on the enclosed, postage-paid reply card.

If you have any questions or concerns, we would like to hear from you. You can contact us toll-free at 1-800-673-3289.

Thank you for being a Hyundai owner.

Sincerely,

Steve Kelleher
President and CEO

CapYoda 09-10-2002 06:25 PM

ouch. big no no.

I thought the 2.7 liter was pretty respectable in the sense that it pumps out 181 at the crank.. now its 170... thats probably like 140-150 ish at the wheel...

I think sales are really really going to drop now.

white2K2EX 09-10-2002 06:34 PM

I think hyundai has done very well re-styling their cars like the new tiburon. I still wouldn't buy one though. Hyundai just sounds like too much of a knock-off of Honda. But thats just my opinion.

Ducatti 09-10-2002 09:40 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: JoeB16
Dear Hyundai Owner,
At Hyundai, we value you as a customer and appreciate your business. We are committed to maintaining an open and honest relationship with you.

It is for this reason that I'm writing to you. We made an error in the information published about the horsepower of the engine in your Tiburon. The horsepower rating was published as 181, when it is actually 170.

I want you to know that this error does not impact the safety or reliability of your Tiburon. Be assured that I have taken steps here at Hyundai to make sure that this does not happen again.

I hope you’ll accept my personal apology. I'm very proud of the cars we make. And, I'm equally proud of the people around the world who build, sell and service our cars. More importantly, I want you to be proud of the car you drive.

To back up my apology, I would like to offer you a choice of one of the following enhancements to your Hyundai vehicle.

Extending your Roadside Assistance Benefit from 3 years/unlimited kms, to 6 years/unlimited kms.

Extending your New Vehicle Limited Warranty from 3 years/60,000 kms, to 4 years/80,000 kms.

Or, extending your Powertrain Limited Warranty from 5 years/100,000 kms, to 6 years/120,000 kms.

You will have, or will be receiving a package from us with a postage paid reply card.

Please indicate your warranty enhancement choice on the enclosed, postage-paid reply card.

If you have any questions or concerns, we would like to hear from you. You can contact us toll-free at 1-800-673-3289.

Sincerely,

Steve Kelleher
President and CEO[hr]
Not a bad car company IMO, just a little miscommunication

OyD 09-10-2002 10:53 PM

a little miscommunication? 10 years worth of providing the wrong power specs isn't just a little miscommunication.

O1Coupe 09-11-2002 06:13 AM

Hey, don't diss Hyundai.. at least they are coming out and apologizing for it.

It wasn't THAT exaggerated anyways. Think of it this way. The Hyundai Elantra, used to be rated at 140HP, now at around 135ish. But it still is quicker than our Honda Civici EX 127HP.. not by much, but by a "tad." Which makes, sense, although it's mostly contributed to extra 300cc.

Ford's Focus ZX3? 130HP? I don't think so. This car is actually slower than a Honda Civic LX 115HP!!! What kind of crap is THAT??

Now, read this: Chrysler & Nissan have been over-rated their cars a long time (especially the 300M.. and Q45).

For example: Q45, 340HP from 4.5L. Lexus LS430, 290HP from 4.3L. Q45 is 200lb lighter.. and more powerful.. yet it is actually slower...

Check out 300M's 0-60mph times.. its usually around 8.0L seconds. All that from a 250HP car? Haha.. a BASE 240HP Acura TL smokes it :) By a HUGE margin. Hell, a 190HP Camry can smoke this supersedan from Chrysler. You can also check out the lame acceleartion times for the supercharged Frontier/Xterras.. and other greatly horsepower exaggerated cars. There a ton out there. Not just Hyundais.

As you can see, a lot of companies play these games. But Hyundai just got caught 1st. Watch the rest get busted in time...

RunawaySoul 09-11-2002 06:54 AM

Every car ever made understates the power of the car. Honda sold the LX stating it had 110 but it had 101. That's almost a 10% margin of error. If Hyundai was all that bad, the Justice department would've busted them like they did Microsoft. The new Tiburon is still a sweet looking car, and it's still faster than ours. Don't get me wrong, I love my Honda! :tup:

watewate 09-11-2002 07:14 AM

[hr]Originally posted by: Krepoort
I would think that's a legit reason. If a company admits it has lied about its products for 10 years, would you grab your keys and go out to buy from them? Just stating the obvious is not smack talk. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

-Kre[hr]
yeah, but saying 'yet another reason not to buy a hyundai' clealrly is.

Hyundai isnt alone at this number game BTW. Like some of you said, at least they had the guts to come out clean.

On a more serious note, at least Hyundai doesnt sell cars with exploding tires like Ford and blinding airbags like Nissan.

I checked out the new Tiburon along with RSX before settling down on civic [due to outrageous insurance rate], it's one hell of a car, and at this rate, Hyundai could catch up to the quality of Honda and Toyota in the next generation of its cars.

mattskav 09-11-2002 08:04 AM

It's not like they could get away without doing anything.....

When Ford understated the power of the Cobra.....they "fixed the glitch"

Any car company would have to..

aki 09-11-2002 12:36 PM

[hr]Originally posted by: JoeB16
Dear Hyundai Owner,

Sincerely,

Steve Kelleher
President and CEO[hr]
Is that for the 2002 Tiburon? I guess I could search around on the internet, but I'd feel a great sense of emptiness checkin out info on that car.

-Aki