Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion)
-   -   Possible new to me Civic owner 98 EX, advice? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/352113-possible-new-me-civic-owner-98-ex-advice.html)

2tango2 10-16-2012 08:01 AM

Possible new to me Civic owner 98 EX, advice?

Hey guys-

Possible new Civic owner, going to look at a 98 Civic EX, manual transmission, 164,000 on the clock. Here is sellers description:

Up for sale is a 1998 Honda Civic EX. This car is completely stock. It has had all of its major services done on time. It recently has had the exhaust header and down pipe done also the O2 sensors replaced. I have a book with all of the service records. The car is very clean with no rust which is very rare in the northeast. It is a 5 speed with the single over head cam VTEC motor. It has 164,000 miles and runs excellent. Everything works as it should. This will make someone a very reliable car. Willing to accept trades. Send me an email so that we can set up a showing.

He said he is second owner and he bought off a woman who kept meticulous records on service done. He bought it for a commuter vehicle which is why I'd be buying it (100 miles a day r/t). I have a 2011 Silverado so yeah, I need some better mpg lol

After talking with him he sounds like he took good care of it as well. (He bought it for same reason, truck and long commute) He said timing belt has been done, I didn't ask about water pump but my feeling is if the woman who had it before him did take as good care as he says, it was done.

In any event, any red flags and potential things I should key in on when I look at it tonight?

He is looking for 2500 bucks for it...fair price?

Thanks

sl33pyriceboi 10-16-2012 09:36 AM

Re: Possible new to me Civic owner 98 EX, advice?

that is a good price. however, dont assume anything (like the waterpump having been done), unless they have a reciept that proves it.

otherwise you are taking a gamble that is not worth it, especially with your timing belt. if it snaps, you will pretty much have to get a new engine.

pinerider 10-17-2012 07:26 AM

The good ones are great, I have a 98 with 418,000 km (260,000 miles) on it, it is still fun to drive. I looked after basic maintenance, but wasn't real meticulous with it. Bought it new, have replaced 2 timing belts, one clutch, 2 cv joints, rear wheel bearing, 2 batteries and a sensor or 2.
It's starting to look ratty, I would have taken better care of it if I'd known it would last so long!

Stock 99 10-17-2012 09:49 AM

^ just curious .... but 418 000 Kms and you never had to do a head gasket?

pinerider 10-18-2012 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Stock 99 (Post 4621122)
^ just curious .... but 418 000 Kms and you never had to do a head gasket?

Nope, no head gasket issues at all. It still gets about 1500 km to a litre of oil, have never had to top up coolant. It's a non-Vtec Canadian EX.