Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion)
-   -   Factory alarm worthless? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/237699-factory-alarm-worthless.html)

Nailer 12-11-2005 01:58 AM

Factory alarm worthless?

Well, it happened. They broke into my ride a couple of days ago. They punched a hole into the driver's side door and the alarm didn't even go off.

Anyone heard of this? Is the alarm on my Civic wired up wrong or what?

DAMN!!!!!:hithead:

micks7thgen 12-11-2005 02:04 AM

the factory alarm does not work like that. it only goes off if you try to steal the car. you can break in and hit is with a sledgehammer it wont go off. sorry to hear that man.

DDragon7 12-11-2005 08:30 AM

Yup, factory alarms are pretty shitty. Like that for most econ boxes.

R1Style 12-11-2005 08:51 AM

If you have a factory alarm... the only way it will go off is if manually unlock a locked door and open it.

CivicsRdBest 12-11-2005 01:38 PM

Just to make sure, it was an alarm and not just the door opener that comes standard on upper model Civics right? My dad thinks that the car has an alarm but it doesn't.

Any that sucks to hear what happened to it.

gearbox 12-11-2005 02:06 PM

you have keyless entry right? all that does is lock the doors. if you do have the alarm, thats only if someone tries to steal the car. doesn't have shock sensor. get an aftermarket alarm if you want a siren and sensors. no civic came with an actual alarm unless you bought it separately for alot of extra $

2k1civic01 12-11-2005 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by gearbox
you have keyless entry right? all that does is lock the doors. if you do have the alarm, thats only if someone tries to steal the car. doesn't have shock sensor. get an aftermarket alarm if you want a siren and sensors. no civic came with an actual alarm unless you bought it separately for alot of extra $

^^^yea that:lol:

EastBayStuntN 12-12-2005 05:30 AM

keyless was standard i believe on the newer higher end model civics. but never an full functional alarm with shock sensors and all the goodies.

the only anti-theft we actually have is the great immobilizer.

looks like its time to upgrade to an aftermarket alarm that has an shock sensor ;)

DAQIUN 12-12-2005 07:15 AM

that happen to me 3 weeks after i brought it. they were trying to steal my factory radio (6 disc mp3 changer) they just stole my cds that time. my alarm did not go off. so monday morning i went nutz at the dealership i had them to take off the alarm and refund me my money back. and i made a call to my supervisor's supervisor at ahm corporate office in torrance, ca and call him up and told them that dealership @#$% me over with that alarm system and they black flag them. oh yeah i had some more stuff with that car from the dealership trying to @#$% me over. David McDavid in Irving, TX don't go there I'm warning you.........

Blackpearl 12-12-2005 10:40 PM

Well. I first was thinking about puting an OEM keyless entry and alarm, but the price was $$$. So I brought an "aftermarket" alarm system and keyless entry for less then 1/2 of the OEM price.
If you leav in very unsafe area then is better to consider some aditional measures. Check the forum for car alarm!!

DeX 12-23-2005 09:32 PM

Factory alarms don't have a shock sensor, I wasn't aware people assumed they did. Wierd. The first thing I did when I got my car with factory alarm was bang on it to see what kind of security I had and the only way I could get a reaction is to open the door. I find out through investigation that it's wired to the 12 volt system which means it only goes off if it senses a draw of power through any of the 12 volt wires.....anything from the trunk light coming (open trunk) or the dome light (open door) or the ignition. Kind of a cheap ass way of doing it I guess, but that's a dealership for you.

southpasdena 12-23-2005 09:46 PM

well when i was in TX, i got my 04 civic at lewisville honda, the alarm cost me what like $150 extra. What really happens when an alarm goes off, not much. I just figure you steal my car you steal it, i get my insurance money and extra $5,000 from honda and i should be fine. I just wanted the keyless entry

thegent 12-24-2005 11:08 AM

As a friend of mine used to put it, the only sure way to avoid having your car stolen is to bury it 100 meters below in a block of concrete. I think he's nuts...

rckdrmr 12-24-2005 09:30 PM

after seeing this thread, i'm glad that i got an aftermarket alarm (has shock sensor, can set and turn off alarm without sound) on accident from the dealership (suppose to get oem alarm but was given an aftermarket). after raising hell... the service supervisor manager came out and asked, "what do you want me to do"? i replied, "lifetime warranty on alarm in writing", and that's what i got.:rofl:

legend921 12-24-2005 10:46 PM

I have an alarm integrated into the factory keyless, which includes all the goodies such as the shock sensor and horn alarm output. You could get this done with your factory keyless giving you the ability to keep the factory keyless fob like I have.