Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion)
-   -   damn slow car (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/180444-damn-slow-car.html)

Farage 10-27-2004 12:40 AM

damn slow car

its late and im bored. i was coming from a friends house like a few hours ago and the NJ turnpike was empty. i gunned it my car topped out at 104!!!WTF? :yell: i had it over 120 for sure during the summer on the turnpike. i dont understand why. could it be because the sunroof was open?!?! :eek:

NoFriends 10-27-2004 12:41 AM

did you get fatter?

rEkKaShInObI 10-27-2004 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by NoFriends
did you get fatter?

:tup: :tup: :tup:

Farage 10-27-2004 12:43 AM

hahaha, i have been 160 for a few years now.

hondaes1 10-27-2004 12:53 AM

Same CaCa happened to me on the NJ turnpike and I weigh 200 but i'm 6ft1.

7thGenerasianCivic 10-27-2004 01:02 AM

Did you take a shit before you took the turnpike? Did you drink lots of liquids? :shrug:

Boilermaker1 10-27-2004 09:03 AM

Doesn't Jersey still have the Double Speeding Fines thing on the Turnpike? That was the tradeoff for raising the limit to 65 when they did it years ago... if thats the case, wouldn't that make doing 104 even dumber than it already is on such a busy road?
Who gives a shit if it goes 104 or 215, you shouldn't be doing it on a public highway. :susp:

JP375 10-27-2004 09:19 AM

Well, it sounds normal to me. I have a stock 04 EX coupe, and with several attempts was only able to get it up to around 102-105 mph. On other threads people with stock cars claim speeds of 120-130.I'm not sure how these people are getting their cars up to 120. Maybe its I/H/E, but everyone says they don't give you any gains. Are people running with oversized tires? If so, have you recalibrated your speedo? Most speedometers become more inaccurate as speed increases. You all are going to get pissed...but I really doubt unmodified civics are doing 120. Flame away....

Blahman2 10-27-2004 09:26 AM

dude, when I first got my civic I was gunning it all the way coming back from harrisburg to wilkes-barre, and my needle actually hit 150 and wouldn't go any higher. But I think that was only because it was a sunny day out and I just hit a huge hill.

CuRiOuSfIsH 10-27-2004 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Doesn't Jersey still have the Double Speeding Fines thing on the Turnpike? That was the tradeoff for raising the limit to 65 when they did it years ago... if thats the case, wouldn't that make doing 104 even dumber than it already is on such a busy road?
Who gives a shit if it goes 104 or 215, you shouldn't be doing it on a public highway. :susp:

yeah I think it's still set that way! Plus, I assume you have an NY license plate, cops will love to come after you man.... be careful!

Mystic3030 10-27-2004 09:58 AM

Who cares? You shouldent be driving that fast anyway....

shmik1 10-27-2004 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by JP375
but I really doubt unmodified civics are doing 120. Flame away....

first day I got my car we were on the interstate and it didnt hit 120 but it was really close 116-118, I didnt keep it up that high, I'd just keep on the gas until it hit around there, I didnt push it all the way either just went up to the 11X and then back down to 75 or so..

*first day I had the car*

shmik1 10-27-2004 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mystic3030
Who cares? You shouldent be driving that fast anyway....

true, it was just for fun I usually dont go over 75-80 and mostly drive at 75ish, since I dont wanna get another ticket..

CivicsRdBest 10-27-2004 10:09 AM

104 miles per hour isn't fast enough for you? :eek:

wwjkc 10-27-2004 10:50 AM

you don't need to drive that fast anyways, the stock Civic isn't design to brake the 120mph record, drive safe, that's what important. Remember, power is nothing without control.

DodgeNeonSRT-4 10-27-2004 11:06 AM

don't lecture him. it gets old and it's boring. we've all heard it all before. if he wants to speed, he's going to speed, stop wasting your breath and time. it's a free country - he can break the law if he wants to (he just has to be ready for the police to kick him in the pants)

DodgeNeonSRT-4 10-27-2004 11:10 AM

Well, it sounds normal to me. I have a stock 04 EX coupe, and with several attempts was only able to get it up to around 102-105 mph. On other threads people with stock cars claim speeds of 120-130.I'm not sure how these people are getting their cars up to 120. Maybe its I/H/E, but everyone says they don't give you any gains. Are people running with oversized tires? If so, have you recalibrated your speedo? Most speedometers become more inaccurate as speed increases. You all are going to get pissed...but I really doubt unmodified civics are doing 120. Flame away....

very simple explination [I think].

windows up.
sunroof closed.
all accessories off (AC/heat/radio/lights).
perfectly flat road (NJ Turnpike is not one of them lol).
fairly new car.
max power = 6300 RPM (any higher or lower is less power...)

My Vic has hit 115 stock :shrug:

**edit** This is on a 2003 EX Coupe 5 spd. (black, if that matters :D )

JP375 10-27-2004 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Blahman2
dude, when I first got my civic I was gunning it all the way coming back from harrisburg to wilkes-barre, and my needle actually hit 150 and wouldn't go any higher. But I think that was only because it was a sunny day out and I just hit a huge hill.

I hope your joking. I'm calling complete BS on that one. Even if you could get your civic to do 150 it would be extremely unstable. Anybody ever been clocked by radar at high top speed? I don't trust the speedos at all. Also, of course no one should be driving this fast, but there are times when i think its exceptable. ie. you are the ONLY car on the road and you only have the chance of endangering yourself.This situation of course rarely exists. If you want to kill yourself or get in deep trouble with the cops I think that is your own decision. To help the guy out who orginally posted.... I think your sunroof could have hurt your aerodynamics considerably, and as someone else mentioned...did you have the A/C off?

nindoo 10-27-2004 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by DodgeNeonSRT-4
very simple explination [I think].

windows up.
sunroof closed.
all accessories off (AC/heat/radio/lights).
perfectly flat road (NJ Turnpike is not one of them lol).
fairly new car.
max power = 6300 RPM (any higher or lower is less power...)

My Vic has hit 115 stock :shrug:

**edit** This is on a 2003 EX Coupe 5 spd. (black, if that matters :D )

Mines stock and I've broken 125 so there something incorrect in your ex coupe . And mines black so its not the color. :rofl:

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...=161722&page=3

justplainbad 10-27-2004 02:08 PM

Well, the thing is, it will take you a long time to get there, but you can eventually get there into the 120ish speeds, varying on accesories off, windows/sunroof closed. I got some pics of me going about 112, and then I just decided to slow down... I have hit around 120 though. I do also have 18s, well, I did then at least, so Im sure my speedo is off...

Farage 10-27-2004 02:13 PM

well to the guys who are flaming me, it was about 2am and very dead on the trunpike. i usually never speed and am a very cautious driver. i just wanted to top it out once and for all. like i said, i had it over 120 during the summer. so the car being stuck at 104 was very weird! i hope it was because of my sunroof. my heater may have been on low and my system was on.

varmin 10-27-2004 02:20 PM

if your tires are oversized, then you're getting more distance per revolution; therefore, the speedo will be reading _lower_ than actual. here's a calculator:
http://www.web-cars.com/math/tiresize.html

and for my 2 cents, my '01 EX coupe does 125 (uncorrected for tire size, so maybe 127) with catback/K&N drop-in. of course, it took a while to get there :D

-v

Blahman2 10-27-2004 03:00 PM

I hope your joking. I'm calling complete BS on that one. Even if you could get your civic to do 150 it would be extremely unstable. Anybody ever been clocked by radar at high top speed? I don't trust the speedos at all. Also, of course no one should be driving this fast, but there are times when i think its exceptable. ie. you are the ONLY car on the road and you only have the chance of endangering yourself.This situation of course rarely exists. If you want to kill yourself or get in deep trouble with the cops I think that is your own decision. To help the guy out who orginally posted.... I think your sunroof could have hurt your aerodynamics considerably, and as someone else mentioned...did you have the A/C off?

Its no BS, you try them hills it one huge hill after another. Its possible. At one point you got a straight, then you got a hill.

PistolPete 10-27-2004 03:03 PM

i agree, my car tops out at 107 i believe, or somewhere in that area.
i dont see how these guys are hitting 120 in a stock vic.

nindoo 10-27-2004 03:03 PM

How did you do 150, must have been an si or a german 1.8 litre civic.

In terms of hitting 120s in a stock EX coupe I've done it I don't know why all you others are topping out at 107-110. Mine is bone stock, mayube you guys have the wrong tires or you might have a mod thats hindering the performance like a racing header or something.

varmin 10-27-2004 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Blahman2
Its no BS, you try them hills it one huge hill after another. Its possible. At one point you got a straight, then you got a hill.

prove it :-bs: going down a MOUNTAIN in my old car only improved my max speed by about 10mph.

joe6680 10-27-2004 03:08 PM

Yep speeding fines are doubled. Sux but what can you do?

varmin 10-27-2004 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by joe6680
Yep speeding fines are doubled. Sux but what can you do?

:_doh:

:tup: go to the track :tup:

Zoto724 10-27-2004 03:49 PM

I hit 123 with my 02 civic ex 4 door, i was on a very flat very long very empty road in south texas. I verified it with my navagation system in my Pioneer Avic-n1. My car was completely stock then. Weather was hella hot though.

Blahman2 10-27-2004 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by varmin
prove it :-bs: going down a MOUNTAIN in my old car only improved my max speed by about 10mph.

I don't know how I did it, and I don't feel like I have to prove it to you. I just know that I did it. Having all of you know about it doesn't make me feel any better.