Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion)
-   -   ...drove a WRX yesterday (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/180097-drove-wrx-yesterday.html)

varmin 10-25-2004 12:08 PM

...drove a WRX yesterday

my friend and I traded cars for a drive yesterday, he's got a WRX. I thought I would like it a lot, but the truth is, except in a straight line, I prefer my vic. It was mushy in the corners, and the shifter felt loose. I used to be jealous of him, but now, not so much :D .

the turbo pull was nice, but WRX is still ugly :tdown: .

deciuss 10-25-2004 12:12 PM

what about the legacy? a bit more but looks nice at least i think so

exclusive_vtec 10-25-2004 01:03 PM

the new wrx sti.. would change ur mind ;)
it looks nice too

Mr.Modify 10-25-2004 01:12 PM

mmmmmmmmm STI *drool*

deciuss 10-25-2004 01:19 PM

the sti is out of so many peoples price range thow

mradam85 10-25-2004 01:27 PM

i love the new sti, my buddy has one and its a very bada$$ car

02ciVike 10-25-2004 01:34 PM

That is surprising to hear.

aznsensation18 10-25-2004 01:55 PM

i will take a WRX over a vic any damn day

03AzNsIlvaSeDaN 10-25-2004 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Modify
mmmmmmmmm STI *drool*

:tup:

joe6680 10-25-2004 02:02 PM

Yeah i'd take a wrx as well. You said the car is mushy...does it ever feel like you lose control? Take that biotch around a corner as fast as you can and I bet it pulls you through. Granted it might slide a bit but i'll guarantee it'll out corner a vic anytime anywhere any condition. Nuff said.

cdmx 10-25-2004 02:12 PM

Never liked wrx's

HaXeDupINC 10-25-2004 02:13 PM

Yea Man I Kinda Agree That The Wrx Wasnt All I Thought It Was Gonna Be...but Then To Drive An Sti..so Sweet...so So Sweet...

HaXeDupINC 10-25-2004 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by joe6680
Yeah i'd take a wrx as well. You said the car is mushy...does it ever feel like you lose control? Take that biotch around a corner as fast as you can and I bet it pulls you through. Granted it might slide a bit but i'll guarantee it'll out corner a vic anytime anywhere any condition. Nuff said.

DITTO

Gangsta Dave 10-25-2004 02:16 PM

I like the sound of the engine in the wrx...

aznsensation18 10-25-2004 02:33 PM

i mean i never really liked the wrx...but once i drove my wife's i loved it....

phatcyclist 10-25-2004 03:14 PM

The problem with subaru is, the EJ20 in the WRX is a fantastic engine, but the manual tranny attached to it has serious issues with shifter arms and synchros. The STI has a god-awful engine, it knocks on premium fuel in high RPM range, has variable valve timing (Subarus first attempt); They should just keep the EJ20 in it like they have in japan... but the tranny is amazing. If subaru would issue out the WRX with the STI 6 speed, ou would have a hell of a car there.

tripledoublegs 10-25-2004 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by exclusive_vtec
the new wrx sti.. would change ur mind ;)
it looks nice too

I just start laughing every time I hear someone say the WRX looks good...

WhiteCastle 10-25-2004 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by varmin
my friend and I traded cars for a drive yesterday, he's got a WRX. I thought I would like it a lot, but the truth is, except in a straight line, I prefer my vic. It was mushy in the corners, and the shifter felt loose. I used to be jealous of him, but now, not so much :D .

the turbo pull was nice, but WRX is still ugly :tdown: .

Ive canyon raced with wrx's they are awd they ****ing own us man :shake:

I saw a brand new white EVO MR at the dealership last night. One of the first in the us it was parked outside so everyone can see it...
That is a sexy car screw the STI... and its faster 0-60 and in the quarter and it comes with a plate inside near the gearbox that says EVO MR! this car has been factory rated at 298 hp and blah on torque each car comes with a badge with its own specs!!!!!
like old school vettes!

masarak 10-25-2004 03:24 PM

I wish my Civic could take a u-turn under an overpass at 45mph. Sigh... I should never have test driven the STi and the Evo.

jiggerachi 10-25-2004 04:32 PM

Mushy dosent necissarily mean bad handling, just like stiff dosent necessarily mean good handling. Driving my miata, the springs & shocks are a little more mushy than my civic, it has a bit more body roll, but damn the thing handles at least 2x my civic.

Extremily stiff = understeer...unless you really know what your doing.

Ramones 10-25-2004 06:01 PM

When i drove the WRX this past summer i was VERY disapointed with the performance. Heard/read all these good things about it and when i finally got to drive one it was shitty.

The shifter sucked more than my dads hyundai elantra, bad turbo lag (gutted up-pipe would probably remedy this).

Upside was that the car did handle nicely. Reminded me of the Evo.

zachgeyer 10-25-2004 10:34 PM

lololo

zachgeyer 10-25-2004 10:35 PM

P.o.s

Yukonart 10-26-2004 06:20 AM

Indeed. . . the stock RE92 tires also don't do much to help the WRX handle too well out of the box. They're all-seasons, and mediocre ones at that.

Also, the 5-speed in the standard WRX is the achiles heel of the drivetrain. Beef that ish up, and you've got a great all-around performer. Subaru's AWD system is often imitated, but to date there isn't a single auto manufacturer who's refined AWD as much as Subaru has.

Step up to the STi, and you've got more power, a nearly bulletproof Prodrive 6-speed transmission, THREE limited-slip differentials (with the center one having manual power split controls), and firmer suspension. The stock RE070 tires are utterly amazing in dry conditions. Mediocre in wet, and deadly in ice and snow. And don't be fooled by price. . . take a WRX with premium package (around $25k) and compare it to the base price of the STi ($32k in 2004) and the price difference isn't necessarily enough to use as an excuse for not purchasing one. Dealerships not willing to deal on the STi's sticker price in the first place would be a more valid reason. . .and insurance costs being the other.

Ugly, pretty. . . looks are merely subjective. I never pay anyone's opinions on looks any mind. The looks of the Impreza line should not be a deciding factor for anyone considering the car. Test-driving them changes MANY minds.

One last thing. . . before discounting the handling of an AWD car, one must first really learn how to drive one properly. Sure, with their power split they're still front-wheel biased, but they DO handle differently than any FWD car, and when practiced with, can beat almost any FWD car it's matched against. Why not make them rear-wheel biased? It's not safe. Most people don't know how to really drive a car, and keeping more of the power up front keeps many people out of ditches and out of the sides of our cars.

nindoo 10-26-2004 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Yukonart
One last thing. . . before discounting the handling of an AWD car, one must first really learn how to drive one properly. Sure, with their power split they're still front-wheel biased, but they DO handle differently than any FWD car, and when practiced with, can beat almost any FWD car it's matched against. Why not make them rear-wheel biased? It's not safe. Most people don't know how to really drive a car, and keeping more of the power up front keeps many people out of ditches and out of the sides of our cars.

How is the AWD on a Nissan Skyline is the power plit rear wheel biased?

incubus7d 10-26-2004 10:21 AM

I dunno i like the 02 WRX style the more boxier one, i like them i still havnt decided what i will in the future trade my car for.

varmin 10-26-2004 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Yukonart
Indeed. . . the stock RE92 tires also don't do much to help the WRX handle too well out of the box. They're all-seasons, and mediocre ones at that.

it wasn't on stock tires, my friend just got brand new rubber.

i know how to drive AWD, i have gran turismo 3... :rockon:

but hey, those were just my impressions from 10 minutes of in-town driving. next time he's here, we're going out to the country, and i'll let y'all know if it changes my mind. :_doh:

ArtIntown11 11-14-2004 11:05 PM

plain wrx is junk and the sti is nothing but subaru's attack on the m3....4 cylinders a massive turbo and all the active LSD technology and computers in that car could never match 333bhp of straight german 6....i know its much more expensive but u forget you get a hell of a lot of luxury with it too....God i love to have an m3...BTW i know of people with civic si's that can RAPE and HAVE RAPED wrx's at the track and no i dont mean the straight line kind.

Grumble 11-14-2004 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by aznsensation18
i will take a WRX over a vic any damn day

Go away, i hate you.

:yell:

LoganK 11-14-2004 11:31 PM

yes the skyline is rear wheel biased.

i have to say i like my friends wrx...around 450whp...it has jdm engine and tranny, DAMN. plus turbo upgrade and all kinds of other goodies. the car is very comfortable. i loved how the driver sear felt, even though i didnt get to take it out...