Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion)
-   -   2002 Civic Hybrid in March (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/17882-2002-civic-hybrid-march.html)

Sledge 12-07-2001 06:45 AM

2002 Civic Hybrid in March

The Insight is a pretty amazing piece of technology. However, if your need for green motoring includes more than two seats, you'll have another option besides the Toyota Prius starting in March. The Civic Hybrid has an 84hp, 1.3L four cylinder engine mated to a 10KW electric motor and a CVT automatic transmission. The engine uses VTEC (of course) and has a cylinder shutdown system for even better fuel economy. EPA tests haven't been completed yet, but expect fuel economy to be in the mid-50s. On the styling end, the grille, front fascia, and trunk lid are slightly changed. It also has new 14in wheels wearing 185/70 tires. The interior is pretty much unchanged - expect no fancy digital instrumentation (a la Insight).

As for the price, Honda's president Hiroyuki Yoshino said that although the price has yet to be determined, it is important to price the vehicle properly. Translated into non-business speak, do not expect Honda to subsidize the cost (ie. take a loss on each sale). Since the Insight stickered at less than $20k... well, guessing the MSRP is left as an exercise to the reader.

SuziQ 12-07-2001 08:33 AM

i kinda like the insight. only if it didn't have body panels over the rear wheel wells....i don't understand why car manufacturers make thier enviromental vehicles so blinking ugly. just take a civic and put an electric motor in it---DAMN![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]

jonavin 12-07-2001 10:04 AM

They chose FUNTION over look. The rear wheel was designed that way to reduce air resistance and improve fuel economy.

Civic316 12-07-2001 11:04 AM

I was debating on the insight as well when I bought my civic...(I do a TON of driving everyday)

I used to have CRX a while back and they lokk rather similar. However, for $20K with unproven technology over the years I was skeptical....I mean how long will this car last??? If it breaks down after the warranty I would probably HAVE to go to Honda to get it repaired because no other mechanic would know how to fix it...

I'd like to get one (a hybrid, I'm very environmentally conscience), but I'm going to wait until the technology improves and more mechanics are equipped to fix them...

My $.02

Civic316

brill 12-07-2001 11:54 AM

<< They chose FUNTION over look. The rear wheel was designed that way to reduce air resistance and improve fuel economy. >>

Yes, and the flat style wheel covers were put on for that purpose aswell.

although I do agree... they sure do make them fugly.

jonavin 12-07-2001 12:09 PM

The Insight has something like a 10 year warantee on the IMA components. So no need to worry there. And Honda is actually losing money on every one them sell in North America (so is Toyota for the Prius). This makes me wonder what the MSRP will be for the Civic Hybrid. It's cool to subsidised a new tech to get people interested, but at some point youl have to start making money.