Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion)
-   -   Performance Upgrades for an Auto 2003 Civic LX (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/171168-performance-upgrades-auto-2003-civic-lx.html)

MaDCaT101 08-30-2004 03:42 PM

Performance Upgrades for an Auto 2003 Civic LX

Lately, I've been checking the forums for any actual performance upgrade in terms of speed, and I see many people refer only to Turbo Kits and Engine Swaps for the only real difference in acceleration. All those Intakes, Cat-Back Exhaust Systems, and Headers seem to do nothing for our slow ass Civics. Why do so many car enthusiats like Honda Civic's? It's defintely not because of their speed that's for sure. I want to hear some real truths from the other side of the table, if any at all. Are there any other real performance upgrades in terms of speed for an Auto 2003 Honda Civic LX besides a turbo kit or engine swap. I just want to get my car to 140hp from 115hp, is that even possible w/o a turbo or engine swap?

List the possible performance upgrades for speed and their respective HP gains:
Intake
Cat-Back Exhaust
Headers
Cam Gears
Pulley Kits
Spark Plugs
etc.

Thanx a Lot!

4drcivic2k1 08-30-2004 03:46 PM

there is very little chance that with that you will be anywhere close to 140hp. you would need to adjust valve timing events and ignition timing, as well as the compression ratio of the motor. Simple I/H/E tends to leave people disappointed. All you have is a louder slow civic. BTW, you will get flamed if you say "Headers" on a honda unless you own an NSX or accord.

familycar 08-30-2004 03:46 PM

You Should Hit About 140hp With Those

nikoscivicex 08-30-2004 03:50 PM

Dude, you should have bought an Si or rsx if you wanted that kind of horepower.

skillwill 08-30-2004 03:56 PM

If you want more from your 115
then try this
port match your throttle body and manifold
get a 5angle vavlve job with stage 2 camshafts
you'll need cams with that.
msd and blaster coil.
colder spark plugs with advanced timing
should be much faster than before while spending less than a turbo kit

better springs/valves, etc. (possibly titanuim for n2o use or double bedded springs
bigger injectors with intake
more compression and see what happens.

EternalBlue_Vic 08-30-2004 04:12 PM

If you wanted power then you shouldn't have getten a civic. Honda civics are more of a statement than a pocket rocket. Civics are sexy. They're not really much else in terms of speed without some indepth work. I got my civic knowing it wasn't gonna ever be really really fast, but i didn't car. So what if we run 1/4 in 16 secs, we sure as hell look good doing it.

And to be realistic about the bolt-ons....
Intake--> 1 HP
Cat-Back Exhaust--> 2 HP
Header--> 2 HP
Cam Gears--> 0 HP
Pulley Kits--> 1/2 HP
Spark Plugs--> 1/2 HP
etc.

familycar 08-30-2004 04:28 PM

if you look at his statement he did not specify whp. but he quotes crank power. making me think that he is asking about crank power. now realistically he wont get 140 to the wheels but with the mods listed and maybe a ignition he could hit that at the crank. its really not too far fetched. think he has 6 mods listed and i say with ignition. that would be a lil over 3 hp per at the crank. that is pretty realistic i would think.