Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General 6th Gen (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/299-general-6th-gen)
-   -   Looking for first civic need advice. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/299-general-6th-gen/379346-looking-first-civic-need-advice.html)

cwk 03-14-2020 03:04 AM

Looking for first civic need advice.

Hey guys I'm looking for my first civic and was hoping I could get some advice from everyone. I've been looking around and found a 2000 ex with 200k miles on it listed for 2.5k the body and interior are in great condition. I found another one with 140k miles on it listed at 4k, I was wondering which one would be better in my situation as I plan on building the motor (rebuilding it as well if it saves me money) in the next year and going with a turbo. This will be my DD as well.
(I am trying to keep it cheaper and reliable as I am leaving for college in the fall)

Thanks anything is appreciated

Colin42 03-14-2020 08:25 AM

Re: Looking for first civic need advice.

Of the two which one looks like it was better maintained? It will probably be the one with 140k, but if it looks like a disaster go for the high mileage car. I have a 99 with 400k kms and the car is mint mechanically, engine runs well, doesn't burn oil, auto trans shifts perfectly, even the AC still works. I bought a couple years ago for $500

FRSam 03-14-2020 09:27 AM

Those both seem pretty expensive. You should have no issue getting a decent one for under 1500.

Wankenstein 03-14-2020 12:47 PM

I have a '95 EX with JDM B20 (low compression) block and LS dohc (non-Vtec) cylinder head, LS 5-speed manual for sale if interested? Estimated mileage is 100k ... JDM blocks "supposedly" have up to 70k miles on them when leaving Japan but that's up for debate. What I do know is the swap was done very well by previous owner and I maintained any issues expediently.

Everything works including air conditioner however, if you live in a state that requires emission inspection it will require adding a charcoal cannister evap solenoid and ecu tuning to program use of evap solenoid.

I've owned it for about four years, it's stored in Florida (no state inspections required) at a family member's home. I currently live in North Carolina.

Here's my albums: https://www.civicforums.com/g/album/8160578

cwk 03-14-2020 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Colin42 (Post 4773610)
Of the two which one looks like it was better maintained? It will probably be the one with 140k, but if it looks like a disaster go for the high mileage car. I have a 99 with 400k kms and the car is mint mechanically, engine runs well, doesn't burn oil, auto trans shifts perfectly, even the AC still works. I bought a couple years ago for $500

Great thank you! They both look about the same except the 140k has miss matched wheels. If the 200k one is in good shape mechanically would it be better to save money and go with that one or go with the 140k?

cwk 03-14-2020 05:01 PM

Unfortunately everything in my area is destroyed that is under 2k

cwk 03-14-2020 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by HR Puffinblunts (Post 4773614)
I have a '95 EX with JDM B20 (low compression) block and LS dohc (non-Vtec) cylinder head, LS 5-speed manual for sale if interested? Estimated mileage is 100k ... JDM blocks "supposedly" have up to 70k miles on them when leaving Japan but that's up for debate. What I do know is the swap was done very well by previous owner and I maintained any issues expediently.

Everything works including air conditioner however, if you live in a state that requires emission inspection it will require adding a charcoal cannister evap solenoid and ecu tuning to program use of evap solenoid.

I've owned it for about four years, it's stored in Florida (no state inspections required) at a family member's home. I currently live in North Carolina.

Here's my albums: https://www.civicforums.com/g/album/8160578

Thank you for the offer but I am looking for something as stock as I can find.

GolNat 03-14-2020 05:34 PM

Which one feels like your car?

Yeah you can't touch a decent Civic in my area for under 2k. Those prices are not bad.

FRSam 03-14-2020 08:03 PM

If you’re looking to build, then you may as well go for the cheaper one.

But even then, Puffin’s civic is great for what you want. Turbo b-series would beat the crap out of a turbo d-series.

Wankenstein 03-15-2020 08:14 AM

I intend to sell mine for 3k. Since I purchased it four years ago:

*both rear axle hubs
*rear deck speakers
*brake proportioning valve o-rings
*fuel tank filled neck
*90% tread left on 10 month old Hankook tires
*replaced clutch slave cylinder
*Phearable (near Tampa FL.) base map for 2 litre ECU
*de-powered steering rack (removed inner seal) and replaced needle cup bearing on pinion.
*small metal-flake base + 3 coats clear (Dupont Nason) three years ago.
*compression: 200 psi each cylinder
*no leaks of any kind.