Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General 8th & 9th Gen (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/292-general-8th-9th-gen)
-   -   Crash course on 8th and 9th genz needed (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/292-general-8th-9th-gen/373713-crash-course-8th-9th-genz-needed.html)

GROOOOVED 07-04-2018 06:58 PM

Crash course on 8th and 9th genz needed

Happy 4th, all!

I've been in the 7th gen owners club for about 4 years now, and my truck sits at home most days now. My job keeps me on the road haulin ass between job locations trying to make up as much time as I can on the road. My little 5 speed silver EX sedan seems almost invisible to troopers, which is huge.

My territory in the southeast invariably takes me down curvy two lanes with slow trucks ahead most times, and most of my passing opportunities are sketchy - especially with my JDM D17. I really love my seemed incognito, but, evidently, D17's aren't much worth boosting.

So that brings me to the thought that rather than trying a K Swap, I should just go ahead and try to upgrade to an older model civic sedan SI.

I'm unfamiliar with the pro's and con's of all the various iterations from that span, so I hope to find some insightful input from those of you with multiple hand knowledge.

Which year has the most pro's and least con's from the Civic Sedan SI's from those years?

I do intend to research on my own, and any additional help will be most appreciated!

THANKS!

GROOOOVED 07-04-2018 09:47 PM

Re: Crash course on 8th and 9th genz needed, pleeeease..

No opinions?

ezone 07-05-2018 02:21 PM

Re: Crash course on 8th and 9th genz needed

There's surely pros and cons on both k20 and k24. I just deal with stock though.

I'll tell you that no matter which you choose, make sure to check oil regularly, use a high quality oil, and change oil more often than the maintenance minder would tell you because the K engines tend to stretch the timing chain and eventually jump time if the oil is neglected.

GolNat 07-05-2018 06:02 PM

Si’s take premium fuel if you are ok with that.

GROOOOVED 07-06-2018 04:34 AM

Thanks! I believe a stock SI would fill my needs here. Avoidance of potential mod pitfalls is what brought me to the thought of an SI, although I'd rather it ultimately appear on the road as an LX or similarly tamer ride. I don't like to catch the trooper's eyes.

Among the pro's and con's, is there a year model that would be particularly easier to sort of de-badge and de-spoiler in hopes of improved invisibility?

OK with premium if that's the deal.

Thanks again!! I was starting to think I'd get no input from the civicforum.

GROOOOVED 07-06-2018 04:46 AM

So far, it seems I've ruled out the 07's and 08's, and have been looking around for 09's availability..

ezone 07-06-2018 09:13 AM

Debadge = sticker removal?
Spoiler removal would leave holes to fill and paint?

Factory fart can muffler....? Not as obnoxious as many ricer exhausts IMO.

Get it in a government fleet color like silver or white LOL

For number comparisons of engines, check the wiki page here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_K_engine

GROOOOVED 07-08-2018 12:36 PM

Yep. Only looking for silver and white, actually. Those are my default vehicle color choices, anyway, since they seem to show dirt less than others.

De-badge as in make it appear like an LX. Might even be worth some minor body work. I hadn't thought about the factory fart can. I'd rather the exhaust sound like my factory Chevy Silverado, which is relatively quiet. I'm just wanting an easy and inconspicuous speed improvement over my 03 ex.

I've ruled out the 07 and 08's due to potential synchro issues. Is that even a cause for concern if I won't be boosting?

It looks like the dash in some models will make it difficult or impossible to install an aftermarket stereo if ever needed. Is that true?

Also, Is it 09 when they introduce Bluetooth capability?

That timing chain info is good stuff! Thank you!!

ezone 07-08-2018 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by GROOOOVED (Post 4747462)
I've ruled out the 07 and 08's due to potential synchro issues. Is that even a cause for concern if I won't be boosting?

The potential is there. Boost has nothing to do with the issue.

It looks like the dash in some models will make it difficult or impossible to install an aftermarket stereo if ever needed. Is that true?
I think the aftermarket has that area pretty well covered. Research.

Also, Is it 09 when they introduce Bluetooth capability?
Looks like for the 8th gen it started on 09 and was only on the cars that came with navigation.