Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   10th Generation Civic 2016-2021 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/270-10th-generation-civic-2016-2021)
-   -   Why is there carpeting on the floors (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/270-10th-generation-civic-2016-2021/374392-why-there-carpeting-floors.html)

dnj571 09-15-2018 12:54 PM

Why is there carpeting on the floors

I recently got the front passenger flooring wet from bad weather and treading. Much to my surprise, under the mats is a thick, highly absorbant bedding that I would expect to find under a family room carpet. Lol and what it is doing here? It is impossible to clean and dry. Now the car reeks with mold despite anything I do to clean it. I mean, really, what we're they thinking with this design? I know you can get weather matting but this is ridiculous. I have to tear out the entire thing disinfect it and clean it, and then order new bedroom carpeting. The car is 2 months old! Ridiculous design.

Colin42 09-15-2018 01:31 PM

Re: Why is there carpeting on the floors

.... it's for sound proofing. If you cleaned it properly and let it fully dry out you wouldn't have a problem.

ezone 09-15-2018 01:52 PM

That padding can hold a helluva lot of water.
Not sure what to tell you on the mold/mildew issue other than you might need to take all the carpet out so it can be cleaned and treated the right way.
Remove all of it, lay it up on sawhorses or hang it over something like a long board or a pipe so it can dry,
Lay flat on pavement then hit it with a pressure washer?
It's gonna be one heavy mofo once it's wet.

This is one way of getting it dried out when it hasn't had a chance to grow blue fuzzies, lots of lumber propping it up off the floor so air can circulate:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.civ...13044ee792.jpg

dnj571 09-15-2018 06:45 PM

I can't find any documentation on how to take this out. Some areas come up easily others don't, I don't want to rip or tear anything, although it looks like I'm going to end just getting it replaced

ezone 09-15-2018 10:16 PM

If your car got the carpet wet due to flood or high water, call your insurance company.

Carpet removal is straightforward if you can look at a situation and decide what needs to be done: Remove front seats and rear seat bottom cushion, Remove trims as necessary around the edges, remove center console assembly (for this you may want some real service info so you don't break anything). At that point you should be able to determine what else is in the way of getting the carpet out and proceed accordingly.
I'm not above making strategic cuts to get it released from the center hump in the floor.

RobertD 09-15-2018 10:45 PM

if it were me I would vacuum out as much water as possible with my shop vac, then I would put my dehumidifier in the car. After most or all of it was collected, I would go ape shit crazy with concrobium. Once I was confident I sprayed too much concrobium, I would put the dehumidifier back in the car and run it until it doesn't collect any more water in it's collection tank.

Concrobium crushes mold spores and kills it once humidity is removed.

dnj571 09-16-2018 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4751796)

Carpet removal is straightforward if you can look at a situation and decide what needs to be done: Remove front seats and rear seat bottom cushion, Remove trims as necessary around the edges, remove center console assembly (for this you may want some real service info so you don't break anything). At that point you should be able to determine what else is in the way of getting the carpet out and proceed accordingly.
I'm not above making strategic cuts to get it released from the center hump in the floor.

Oh man, I'm not doing that. I'm taking it in.lol

dnj571 09-21-2018 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Colin42 (Post 4751757)
.... it's for sound proofing. If you cleaned it properly and let it fully dry out you wouldn't have a problem.

Well I ripped out the entire carpeting and noticed that the metal flooring design has what appears to be floor like beams with holes in them, all one piece. So it's truly impossible to clean.

Colin42 09-21-2018 03:31 PM

it's not, I've done it with a couple different vehicles

dnj571 09-21-2018 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Colin42 (Post 4751987)
it's not, I've done it with a couple different vehicles

Oh really?

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.civ...b0fcfc9447.jpg

Colin42 09-21-2018 05:11 PM

Steam cleaner, antimold/mildew spray and compressed air, the metal is the easy part.
For the carpet take it to a carwash and spray the hell out of it with the pressure washer with the soap, front and back. And then hang it on a fence in the sun for a week to dry. Or use fans to speed it up.

dnj571 09-21-2018 06:03 PM

The carpet is done, it's torn up. I don't even care about that. I've done several cleaning sessions and was convinced I got it cleaned up, only to catch an annoying wiff of mold again later on.

​​​​​​Fortunately, the water does drain out of those hole inserts, if you park the car on a hill. But thoroughly drying it is another story.

dnj571 09-21-2018 06:06 PM

When water gets into those holes, it sloshes around and you can drain it by parking the car on hills but drying it will be a bitch.

Like I said, ridiculous design!

Colin42 09-22-2018 12:01 PM

That's what the compressed air is for