Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   10th Generation Civic 2016-2021 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/270-10th-generation-civic-2016-2021)
-   -   2017 civic Voltage drop with high load. (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/270-10th-generation-civic-2016-2021/372416-2017-civic-voltage-drop-high-load.html)

Deathjam4 02-04-2018 09:27 AM

2017 civic Voltage drop with high load.

So i recently bought a new 2017 honda civic hatchback sports edition. I have driven audis for many years done all my tuning and work myself but recently got frustrated with audi canada and left them since i liked the civic hatch more.

Any ways this leads to my question. I dont know alot about these cars and dont know much about thier quirks do thought i would ask.

I noticed when i was parked i went to turn the wheel and my lights nearly went so dark that they were half dimmed out. This car has 66km on it so dun think there is an issue with nothing i just figure it is due to an over draw from the power steering pump since it is all electrical. Is there anything i can do that would perhaps stabalize the power draw for situations like this? Cause way i see it if you do to much of this you will eventualy end up killing your battery by over taxing it over time.

CraigW 02-04-2018 09:54 AM

Re: 2017 civic Voltage drop with high load.

Batteries have a shorter life span in this day, and age.

It was not at full lock was it ? ( I avoid that )

On my 2013 W/EPS noticed some dimming.... During regular maintenance had my mechanic load test battery, and it was dying. (Lifespan = 40 Months)

Deathjam4 02-04-2018 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by CraigW (Post 4738936)
Batteries have a shorter life span in this day, and age.

It was not at full lock was it ? ( I avoid that )

On my 2013 W/EPS noticed some dimming.... During regular maintenance had my mechanic load test battery, and it was dying. (Lifespan = 40 Months)

Nope not full lock. The quicker i turn the wheel in park the more the power steering pump consumes as to be expected. Tho i dont see why a new car would not have a draw issue like that looked into before selling.
my audi did the same thing but no where near as sever i would barely even notice it. My only thought is to maybe stick some sort of regulator or large capacitor at the battery to help maintain proper voltage so i dont do any damage to the electricals on the car due to lack of voltage. I will be puting a catch can on it very soon to any turbo powered catch really needs one.

ezone 02-04-2018 10:38 PM

I noticed when i was parked i went to turn the wheel and my lights nearly went so dark that they were half dimmed out.
"Doc, it hurts when I do this!"
"Stop doing it."

It's normal.....and quit it before you hurt something.
If you rev the engine up to 2000-3000 RPM I bet the lights don't dim as much as they do at idle.

The EPS can use something like up to 50 amps of current if the assist motor has to provide full power, but 99.99% of typical drivers aren't driving around with the wheel cranked at full lock the entire time they drive.

99.99% of drivers aren't sitting in the driveway trying to scrub flat spots in the front tires by cranking the wheel back and forth until the battery is run down either.

If you have all 4 windows rolled up and you then grab all 4 power window switches and pull them all up at the same time you will see the lights dim......but not many people are pulling on all 4 window switches the entire time they drive the car......

My only thought is to maybe stick some sort of regulator or large capacitor at the battery to help maintain proper voltage so i dont do any damage to the electricals on the car due to lack of voltage. I will be puting a catch can on it very soon to any turbo powered catch really needs one.
Void your warranty.

Deathjam4 02-05-2018 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4738969)
"Doc, it hurts when I do this!"
"Stop doing it."
Void your warranty.

Lol yea i figured it was normal from the start.was mostly just curious if there was anything to bolster the electrical system was all. I dont ussaly grind my tires but some times you dont have a choice hehe