Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Engine Performance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/266-bolt-engine-performance)
-   -   K20 (RSX) Swap (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/266-bolt-engine-performance/26142-k20-rsx-swap.html)

tRu 02-28-2002 07:50 PM

K20 (RSX) Swap

hey read the parts store and it said the k20 swap is finally here and that is really nice but is it true becuase i really was looking forward to a swap becasue with the d17 motor turbocharged i can only push about 200-250 hp istead i rather run on a K20 swap and hit 200 stock and boost that up with a 400 hp civic beast since i live in colorado everycar is about a second slower cuase were a mile high about sea level.i want K20

BAK 02-28-2002 08:03 PM

I think that's a joke. A K20 swap is not happening. At least not yet. Htowncivic bought a motor, but the shop wouldn't try the swap.

AFlyer 02-28-2002 08:36 PM

SWEET! another colorado guy!! this is what i like to see. we're trying to get a meet together for my spring break (i go to school in illinois) - i'll be home the 20th of march. anyway, about the K20 . . . one member here (htown maybe?) is in process with that, it's going to be very expensive and time consuming. it is NOT a drop-in swap, you have to redo engine mounts and accessory locations, and you have to buy the tranny and front suspension as well. then you have to find a shop to do it.

uicmedruss 03-02-2002 01:35 AM

damn...how bad would that suck to buy a motor and then not be able to use it...ugh... hope he gets that sorted out! Besides...I wanna see some pics of a hybrid 2k1!!!

Gshockbreaker 03-02-2002 08:12 AM

Dude, how much is the swap running for?? like 3 or 4 gs??

Naokisan 03-02-2002 08:42 AM

<< Htowncivic bought a motor, but the shop wouldn't try the swap. >>

Acually they wouldn't swap it because they wanted to make sure they got everything right (like A/C working and stuff). It is verry possible right now, it's just no one wants to do it.

htowncivicEX 03-03-2002 11:53 PM

All:

I have been having serious talks with a shop in Southern California that wants to do the swap. But at the current moment I am dealing with a lot of other stuff going on my life (such as getting laid off this past Tuesday from my job of the past 2 years). But stayed tuned - I am working out a way for me to transport the motor to the shop in Cali as well as transport my Civic down there. Getting laid off is never a good thing, but at least now it's easy for me to take a few weeks off and bring my car down to Cali.

black2k1vtec 03-04-2002 12:47 AM

ah man! That would be cool!!!!!!

rickinthescv 03-04-2002 01:43 AM

Hey, Htown!

I am staying in my parents house in So Cal (I work a lot in Alabama, most of the year). If you make it out here to do the swap, let me know. I will take you out for beer just to get the details on your car.

The details I am interested in:

1. How much does the swap actually take?
2. Is the shop actually competant/caring enough to do the job up to a high set of standards?
3. How fast that thing is at the brackets at LACR?

Let me know,
Rick

2k2civic 03-04-2002 02:27 PM

Htown, I contacted ImportBuilders and they said that they are currently working on a swap of a K20 into a 2001 Civic, is that you they were talking about?

I really want to see this go together, so if and when you get down here, let me know (I live in LA).

Oh, and if you do the swap, you'll be selling your coilovers and shock, right? (if so, I want them.)

htowncivicEX 03-04-2002 06:51 PM

Yes, ImportBuilders.com is the shop I have been speaking with. Which reminds me - I need to call Jeff at their newly remodeled shop tomorrow. Hehe I just drove in from Austin a short while ago, and have spent this past weekend doing some HEAVY DRINKING and bumming around at old friends' places. So now that I have my post-layoff extended weekend/drinking party out of the way, it's time to return to the real world. First order of business tomorrow morning is to buy a new computer (I was using my company's laptop for the past few years so never bought one of my own), and then I need to call Jeff and see if we can get the ball rolling.

htowncivicEX 03-04-2002 07:01 PM

2k2civic:

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to keep the suspension setup for my Civic (the front axle may need to be replaced with an RSX one, though). But if it ends up that I do need to replace the suspension, then yeah I guess my coilovers and shocks would be up for sale.

rickinthescv:

Sure, we'll hang out when I get over to LA. Quick question - how far away is Fullerton from El Segundo? I was just wondering because a friend of mine lives in El Segundo and that's where I'll probably be staying. I've been to LA a few times and really like it... nice weather, cool cars, beautiful women, traffic congestion everywhere [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]. Very similar to Houston!

tRu 03-04-2002 07:18 PM

Damn i want a k20 swap pretty bad i live in colorado so everythings slower cuase the elvation so im a second slower on the quarter so a k20 or turbo would help a lot i run a 17.2 right now and i can burn gsr's thats soo sad

2k2civic 03-04-2002 07:39 PM

<< 2k2civic:

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to keep the suspension setup for my Civic (the front axle may need to be replaced with an RSX one, though). But if it ends up that I do need to replace the suspension, then yeah I guess my coilovers and shocks would be up for sale.
>>

The only reason I asked is because I would imagine the heavier engine would need stiffer springs and shocks to hold it up.

SugarRay 03-05-2002 12:57 AM

Hey htown,

Cool about the trip to L.A, any idea when this could take place?

If your down here in SoCal next weekend (16th,17th) there is suppose to be a little meet at the beach.

Info on the MEET

So if your down here at that time, I sure everybody would want your ass to be there. You would be like a celeb with you pimping in the K20.

If your in the fullerton area (where the shop is) you aren't too far from the meet.

I applaud you for commiting to the project and actually getting the engine. I would do the swap, but I made up my mind to wait until my warranty runs out, and they have more information about the swap.

Good Luck
Ray

TOOLOWCIVIC 03-05-2002 06:09 AM

HEy Htown, how much is the engine and where did you buy it[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] How much are you going to spend on the swap:::eek::eek:

htowncivicEX 03-05-2002 10:24 PM

sugarray

I'm probably looking to make the trip in about 2-4 weeks. I still need to transport the motor kit down to the shop in Fullerton, and as soon as that is done, I'll be making a cross country trip to LA, driving VERY CAREFULLY on the right side of the freeway the entire way[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]. Hehe that would really suck to wreck my car during the trip.

Not sure if I'd be able to make the meet on the 16th. If the motor can get sent to SoCal before then, then I might be able to drive my car down there in time for the meet, but the motor wouldn't be swapped in yet. From my talks with Jeff, he is saying probably around 2 weeks is the amount of time they would need to get the thing done. I'm going to have another talk with Jeff on Wednesday to discuss things further.

But once it gets put in, all of you 7thgencivic guys are welcome to check it out [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG].

htowncivicEX 03-05-2002 10:26 PM

toolowcivic

There is an existing thread that will answer all of your questions.

01EXtc 03-05-2002 10:28 PM

lotsa lotsa lotsa work to get that swap done right. 2001 honda changed the framing and suspension majorly. thats why a B wont mount in.

2k2civic 03-06-2002 12:50 AM

HtowncivicEX, I was wondering, since your already going to have to pull out the stock pump from your Civic, can you replace it with the RSX pump without swapping anything else to see how the Civic ECU will react to it?

htowncivicEX 03-06-2002 04:52 PM

01exTC

The 7th gen Civic and RSX are built off of the same platform (like the Civics and Integras were). Same engine chassis, suspension, everything is very similar. The engine does sit on the opposite side of the engine bay, so lots of stuff will have to be relocated. Importbuilders has some of the best mechanics around (including former lead techs from Honda), and probably the best welder in the entire world. They are pretty pumped about this project and are the best ones for the job. I wouldn't be taking my car halfway across the country if I thought otherwise.

htowncivicEX 03-06-2002 05:07 PM

2k2civic

I'll tell Importbuilders to try it out and see what happens. I'm planning to ship the motor over pretty soon, and they said to give them 2 weeks to do some research. Then I'm planning to bring my car down to LA sometime at the beginning of April.

rickinthescv 03-07-2002 06:31 PM

El Segundo and Fullerton are about 34 miles away from each other, but depending on what time of day you are making the trip, it could be a short trip or a huge ordeal. Hopefully you will at least have a car, so you can check out the sites when you are not witnessing the surgery.

I would really like to find an awesome shop that is capable of such a work of art. We all know that anything is possible, all it takes is money, skill, and someone with the guts to be the first to try it.

Hey, H, could you turn on your private messages? Nothing big, just it might be easier if you have any Cali specific questions.

Rick

tchybrid 03-09-2002 07:56 PM

wow, i haven't been here in a while. heh i remember back last year in december i was commenting on if a k20 swap would be possible. now i know. =) with the $$$, you can do anything. =) man i would love to see my LX with a k20. but the warrantee is still in affect, and well, a k20 woould murder the warrantee. lol oh well i think i'm gettin ga AE86 myself and working on that. but i might be getting my hands on a 88 Teg RS. but i still want my 86..

well htown, good luck to you, i'm sure once everything is in place you will have one kick ass ride... =)

Voiceofid 03-09-2002 08:09 PM

i was looking at my cousin's acura cl 2.3 today.. the engine seems pretty small.. why didn't anything think of that one?:susp:

CivicHX01 03-10-2002 01:51 AM

there is no better place to bring your car... L.A., the import scene epicenter...

htowncivicEX 03-11-2002 08:49 PM

Voiceofid

The CL and TL platforms are based on an entirely different platform than the Civic and RSX, don't quote me on this - but I think they're built on the Accord / Prelude platform. Meaning you would have to fabricate your own engine mounts and do some body work on the chassis to even get the thing to fit.

cvc2k2 03-11-2002 09:14 PM

i agree... CL is based on the Accord platforms. i remember the 1st gen CL springs were interchangable with the 96+ accords. so it should be similar to an accord chasis. anyluck Htown?

civicrx 03-11-2002 09:15 PM

I know that the 2k1 civics had some kind of code in the ignition system (which is also in the key). I believe the RSX also had the similar security system . This means that your K20 engine need to come ignition system plus the key also right??

cvc2k2 03-14-2002 12:09 AM

<< I know that the 2k1 civics had some kind of code in the ignition system (which is also in the key). I believe the RSX also had the similar security system . This means that your K20 engine need to come ignition system plus the key also right?? >>

um...... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]... yes... the 2k1 civics and many other new hondas, acuras as well, all have a chip within each key as a engine kill feature. by having this key with a chip within will prevent people from starting your car by breaking the silenoid (ignition) or by making a copy of your key onto an aftermarket blank. it is just a starter kill feature. i dont beleive it has anything to do with motors. with the correct tool... we are capable of starting many cars by a switch which hooks up to the starter of the vehicle.