Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Bolt-on Engine Performance (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/266-bolt-engine-performance)
-   -   My hood is getting hammered (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/266-bolt-engine-performance/208187-my-hood-getting-hammered.html)

SmiteSwift 04-18-2005 08:55 AM

My hood is getting hammered

My hood is getting hammered by debris on the highway. I'm constantly having to touch-up the paint and I'm tired of it. Not to mention a few tiny dents from larger rocks.

My question is, if I get a carbon fiber hood does it stay nice looking, or does it get banged up too? Is there any instances of cracks or any real damage?

I will not get a bra for the front, they are ugly and it's like people putting plastic over furniture to keep it looking new.

Xenin 04-18-2005 10:14 AM

this is why i've got a rock/bug deflector.

_Viper_ 04-18-2005 10:42 AM

Yeah everyone is flamming the shit out of my car cuz it has a bug/rock guard ..

I dont care really I decided to kerep it on and im saving a ton of chips and scratches..

Alot of prople have told me its really nice cuz its a OEM one..

Look here...

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/at...chmentid=51579

Xenin 04-18-2005 11:00 AM

who cares what people say. fact of the matter is, its probably saved my hood from getting repainted. believe it or not i've actually hit some birds with hit, not intentionally, birds just kinda swooped down trying to fly across the road.

Slawek 04-18-2005 11:31 AM

ya well i gotta get mine repainted for OTHER reasons :S

SmiteSwift 04-18-2005 11:44 AM

The deflector looks pretty good. Does it save the windshield from damage?

SmiteSwift 04-18-2005 11:48 AM

Hey Viper, I'm looking but I can't find the part# and cost for the deflector. I have a 03, does that matter?

Xenin 04-18-2005 12:13 PM

just call up your dealership. anything that hits the deflector will bounce off and go right over your car, thats what happened to the birds.

tricky 04-18-2005 12:27 PM

you can also go for the 3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film

4drcivic2k1 04-18-2005 04:01 PM

I highly recommend the 3M film as well. Excellent investment.

kornsined 04-20-2005 01:27 AM

3M is a very nice choice but it doesn't save your windshield. :shrug:

Xenin 04-20-2005 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by kornsined
3M is a very nice choice but it doesn't save your windshield. :shrug:

that and your hood will still get dents in it. get a deflector, the OEM one says CIVIC on it as well.

streetglower 04-20-2005 04:03 AM

do you all drive behind 18 wheelers or something? I drive on the highway everyday and dont have any rock chips

dwi 04-20-2005 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by streetglower
do you all drive behind 18 wheelers or something? I drive on the highway everyday and dont have any rock chips

i don't drive behind them and i have that problem. It's like touch up has become my bestfriend. i need to repaint my hood too. that guard shield thing don't look too bad but it does suck a little. No one here is really answering the mans question....will his CF hood will get messed up too like his oem one? i want to know too cuz i want to do the same since me and him are in the same predicament.

scizod 04-20-2005 08:01 AM

cf hood.....

Originally Posted by DWI
i don't drive behind them and i have that problem. It's like touch up has become my bestfriend. i need to repaint my hood too. that guard shield thing don't look too bad but it does suck a little. No one here is really answering the mans question....will his CF hood will get messed up too like his oem one? i want to know too cuz i want to do the same since me and him are in the same predicament.

Your carbon fiber hood will get the same way from the stuff coming off the roads except there will be marks in the clear coat. It will not be as noticable but over time it can get worse. I have a cf hood with the 3m on it and I have had no problems. I polish it once a week and look for chips like that. I have only found one so far and it was very small. I am going to purchase a deflector just to be on the safe side. How do those deflectors attach to the car, by screws or adhesive tape?

_Viper_ 04-20-2005 08:48 AM

It attaches with u clips.. On the top of the deflector there are screws and when you tight them they pinch the u clip on the hood thus keeping it in place /....

Also you get 4 strips of adhesive that you put on the hood so that the clips dont rub off the paint ...

Pharoh 04-20-2005 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tricky
you can also go for the 3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film

yeah..but you can still see it....mind you...not nearly as much as a guard.

2K1Civic17"Gabe 04-20-2005 05:10 PM

Just so you know, when you get a rock hitting that CF hood, there is a good chance it will leave a crack in it just like your windshield. it will look nastier than a stock hood, IMO. I saw this kids at the last meet, and that deterred me somewhat fromw anting a CF hood. The cracks are worse. Just keep it well protected, dont drive behind any trucks, and watch rwd cars peeling out. that pisses me the f off.

zachgeyer 04-20-2005 09:12 PM

sue them

Raziel 05-12-2005 10:57 PM

i second 18 wheeler comment, my hoods taken abuse, i as well have hit birds, when i put my intake in, my stock filter and pipe had feathers everywhere... but no hood damage. only time it finally gave in was when some ******* cut me off STOPPING AT A RED *smack* hood bent upwards just enough so i look liek a retard who forgot to close his hood :(
i kicked it afterwards too
still no paint damage..

Skunk2ner 05-12-2005 11:51 PM

if viper had a carbon fiber hood, eyelids, and real black rims with polished lip, the bug deflector might look cool.

dru106 05-15-2005 01:08 AM

But even wit the hood deflector. How can u wash inside of it?? doesnt dirt and crap get in there between the deflector inside?? The 3M clear masking bra is nice but expensive and hard to put on. I believe it was $300 just for the front bumper!!!!!!!