Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   HIDs and Retrofitting (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/264-hids-retrofitting)
-   -   6th Gen 1996-2000 projector retrofit options (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/264-hids-retrofitting/375320-6th-gen-1996-2000-projector-retrofit-options.html)

Jp7 02-02-2019 10:47 AM

6th Gen 1996-2000 projector retrofit options

I have some pretty nasty headlights on my 2000 ex. I was thinking of buying a spare set of replica OEM lamps and doing an HID projector retrofit. I've done many on other cars, but not the civic.

My question is how deep of a projector can I fit in this housing without it looking out of place? The projectors I want to use are about 7" from the tip of the lens to the back of the bulb.

xRiCeBoYx 02-02-2019 12:22 PM

Re: 6th Gen 1996-2000 projector retrofit options

Depends on how you mount it. Still might be a bit long tho, but depending on how you cut and mount the projector, you can still make it work. Just might take more work than others.

I can tell you from experience that the morimoto mini H1 projectors from TRS fit perfectly, and the OAL of those is about 5.5". Then again, those use the OEM H4 reflector bowl to mount to, so it makes that retro stupidly easy.

mcnoople 02-02-2019 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jp7 (Post 4758077)
I have some pretty nasty headlights on my 2000 ex. I was thinking of buying a spare set of replica OEM lamps and doing an HID projector retrofit. I've done many on other cars, but not the civic.

My question is how deep of a projector can I fit in this housing without it looking out of place? The projectors I want to use are about 7" from the tip of the lens to the back of the bulb.

Just pop the lens off and measure your housings before you order the projector. There are some more or less bolt options for installing projectors in cars that originally came equipped with H4 headlamps like the 96-2000 did. Any particular projector you are looking at? TRS shopper?

I had a set of morimoto m2ds 3.0 in my wifes ford a few years back and they put a lot of light on the road. That was a design that fit a H4 bulb base. The mori's are now up to version 5.0 as of last December. I have a set of 4.0 that I have been tinkering with to mount in my Honda, but I haven't gotten around to actually installing them and I can honestly say that 1 of those projectors puts out as much light as the two 9006 low beams bulbs that the car currently has.

If you have never dealt with TRS (the retrofit source) I can vouch for their customer service. They are a good company to deal with. And if I am not allowed to say that due to a forum rule, then mods feel free to edit this.

xRiCeBoYx 02-02-2019 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by mcnoople (Post 4758081)
If you have never dealt with TRS (the retrofit source) I can vouch for their customer service. They are a good company to deal with. And if I am not allowed to say that due to a forum rule, then mods feel free to edit this.

Nope, plug them all you want -- and that goes for any other vendor. They are absolutely fantastic to work with. Their customer service is definitely top notch.

sdaidoji 02-02-2019 05:50 PM

yep.

mcnoople, you are a customer of TRS, not an employee, so feel free to give them credits :D

the problem happens when an employee starts doing advertising here without going thru the proper channels of registering with the site owners, otherwise all is OK :).

Naturally, we do know where you work, that helps :D

Jp7,

perhaps it will be easier to call the retrofit source, they might already know the answer

I also bought parts from them and they are good.

Jp7 02-03-2019 10:07 AM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.civ...d492db97eb.jpg
Thank you all for your replies. I am very familiar with TRS. In the past I have done 3 retrofits with their products. I have Mini D2S projectors in my Mazda 4x4 truck now actually. The Projectors I have that are about 7" OAL are OEM and very expensive, thats why I was going to give it a shot. They are awesome quality and I don't have to buy anything since I already have them. I will buy a spare set of lamps since they are cheap and that way I can drive the car and just swap over the parts when I get the retrofit done. I want to keep the housings as close to stock as possible. I was thinking about buying a set of TYC replica lamps. Any suggestions? I don't want anything smoked, or blacked out, or "JDM" style. I want them to look boring and original. This car is a daily driver "winter beater". It does not need to attract attention. I have 3 other cars for that.