Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   HIDs and Retrofitting (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/264-hids-retrofitting)
-   -   HID Projector headlights in 7th gen (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/264-hids-retrofitting/355120-hid-projector-headlights-7th-gen.html)

Wljw69 04-22-2013 11:04 PM

HID Projector headlights in 7th gen

Hi this is my first time getting new headlights and I have a couple questions.
I would like to get HID projector headlights for my 2001 civic coupe.
I have looked at a few and I have liked these the best: http://www.protuninglab.com/hoci012nsimo1.html

They Are up there in price but I want the best light and good looking dual halo hid lights.
First question: is it an okay to go for 6000k temp over the 4300. 6000k looks better but how much less light is given?
Second question: do I need that warning canceled? Do to being in Canada it would make up for the shipping cost.
Third: any good alternatives to this set that are as good? (possibly cheaper or better shipping to Canada )

Anything else that I should know would be appreciated as I'm new to this. Thanks

enigmatic jc 04-22-2013 11:43 PM

Re: HID Projector headlights in 7th gen

dont buy those....i was going in the same path you were when i wanted HID's...do a retrofit instead, it has much better light output

use this site: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/?ut...term=The+Store

Wljw69 04-23-2013 12:08 AM

That also seems like a good option but I have no experience doing anything like this or much electrical stuff in general. Seems like something I would screw up haha. My headlights are scratched really badly past point off restoring probably so would like to replace them and plug and play with new ones. The prices for a full kit was around the same anyway. I just need to see good as mine are terrible without having glare

xRiCeBoYx 04-23-2013 12:14 AM

With that "plug and play" kit, there's still gonna be glare.. The projectors in those headlights aren't designed for HIDs.

A morimoto mini retrofit into OEM headlights is almost quite literally plug and play, only thing you gotta worry about is baking your headlights to take 'em apart. Sounds scary to do, but really, it's not difficult.

Wljw69 04-23-2013 12:24 AM

Ya sounds kinda scary to me haha. I am worried about wrecking anything. I would be that guy to screw up. I thought the headlights I. Posted were designed for hIDs. Does anyone know of headlights that style that are made for HIDs? I want something good quality with good output and no glare if possible. Thanks everyone

xRiCeBoYx 04-23-2013 12:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They'll advertise that they are, but they aren't. Nothing you can buy "out of the box" will be designed for HIDs for a 7thgen.

Also, just to show you the difference, the top beam is what you'd be getting with the link you posted (mind you, I bent the crap out of the beam cutoff shield and had to fab up something to pull the projector lens away from the bulb by about 1cm to get that cutoff), bottom beam is a true retrofit.

Attachment 93549

Wljw69 04-23-2013 07:44 PM

Thanks for the advice. Is there somewhere I can buy headlights that are already retrofitted?

xRiCeBoYx 04-23-2013 07:47 PM

You'd have to pay someone to do it

GolNat 04-23-2013 07:58 PM

Or buy a used pair that has already been retrofitted from someone

xRiCeBoYx 04-23-2013 08:05 PM

lol, that too.. Once I get the materials for my new retrofit, I'll have one for sale.. haha

I'm strapped for cash at the moment, and I have more pressing issues at hand, though, than to gather final materials for a new retro.

Wljw69 04-24-2013 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by GolNat (Post 4638832)
Or buy a used pair that has already been retrofitted from someone

That's what I meant haha. Is there a place where u can purchase headlights that are already retrofitted online? They have them on ebay but I don't think I could trust most sellers of them. They could be sketchy

GolNat 04-24-2013 06:29 PM

There is no place that I am aware of. You can buy projector headlights on eBay but like you said Idk if you can trust them. Even if they are retrofitted you don't know what kind of quality projector they used.

You should search online to see how the instal process goes. They don't have one specifically for our cars but you can see what is involved. Can you do standard car stuff like oil change and suspension stuff?

enigmatic jc 04-24-2013 10:52 PM

there are a few vendors that post on this site:
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum.php
where you can send them your headlights and they can retrofit it for you...obviously you would need back up lights if you're gonna be using your car during that time

Wljw69 04-25-2013 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by GolNat (Post 4638915)
There is no place that I am aware of. You can buy projector headlights on eBay but like you said Idk if you can trust them. Even if they are retrofitted you don't know what kind of quality projector they used.

You should search online to see how the instal process goes. They don't have one specifically for our cars but you can see what is involved. Can you do standard car stuff like oil change and suspension stuff?

Yes I can do oil changes, brakes, tires and steering stuff. I haven't learned much yet on suspension (high school student in mechanics class) I can do most standard can stuff. Wiring is new too me and so is modifying headlights. That's why I'm nervous on modifying mine plus can't afford to buy new headlights (minimum wage and part time haha)

I don't have extra headlights either. Don't have enough to pay for backups. I would like to spend around the same as the first ones I posted. After shipping it is closer to $280. My stock headlights are terrible and not that safe on the highway. I am not sure if it's worth it to buy the ones I posted due to light output or put a good amount of work in and retrofit. I just want to see well. Does anyone have a comparison between stock and out of box projectors hids? +retrofitted. Would be really helpful in deciding what I should do due to experience

xRiCeBoYx 04-25-2013 02:32 AM

save your money, research it for now. Weigh the benefits of different kinds of retrofits (different projectors will have different light outputs). Find out what it takes to put that projector in a headlight (tell you right now, morimoto mini projectors will seriously slip right into an OEM or OEM-style headlight, and the light output is quite nice). See what you want for an overall package when it comes to designing your headlights (do you want angel eyes? OEM-style headlights or aftermarket projector style? Do you want any applicable bezels to be color matched to your car, or do you want them some other color?).

After you've figured all that out, find out how much it would cost to do all that. If you can find a pre-retrofitted headlight (like I did with this one), you may be able to find a good deal. Luckily for me, I had most of the HID components, so all I spent was $200 for the projectors mounted into the housings.

I'm expecting my new setup to run me $400-$500 total. I have the projectors in hand, I just need headlight housings and a lower wattage set of ballasts so I don't melt my new shrouds.

Only reason I'm suggesting you put it off is because it's a good learning experience, and you'll get a better sense of accomplishment, especially since you're learning to work on cars at the moment.

Just my opinion.

GolNat 04-25-2013 05:44 AM

6 Attachment(s)
^ Morimoto Mini H1s are direct fit with the adapter rings that are provided. The harness is all plugs that are all labeled to tell you were everything goes. Longest part was finding somewhere to mount the ballasts and running the wires behind the bumper. No electrical skill required. The only thing that really tripped me out was putting the headlights in the oven for 7 minutes, but once you take them out they come apart like butter.

TRS has a complete retro setup, projectors, ballasts, bulbs, relay harness and headlight sealer for $280. You could even go cheaper if you got your HID kit from DDM Tuning and just did the Morimoto projectors. Save your money and research till you find what works best for you. Restoring the headlights and putting in some Sylvania Silver Stars might be all that you need.

Here are some pics from mine. I did a Mini H1 with mini gatling shroud in my OEM 01 headlights:

Attachment 93533

Attachment 93534

Attachment 93535

This was before doing headlight restoration

Attachment 93536

This is also before headlight restoration

Attachment 93537

After headlight restoration

Attachment 93538

Dont have a pic of the output after restoration but it is at least 30% brighter and the cutoff line is a lot better.

Wljw69 04-26-2013 09:36 AM

So this is my current light output. It's kinda funny how bad it is. So compared tho this how would the aftermarket headlights I posted compare? I really like the look of them and if they can greatly make the output better by a good amount I want them. Plus I want to order a cold air intake from them too.
So one two last questions. Do I need the canceled and how much light with 6000k compared to 4300k is there. As 6000k looks better
http://imgur.com/45dGN4F

xRiCeBoYx 04-26-2013 12:28 PM

eh.. projectors tend to have a crappier output than stock.. I had a pair of TYC projectors, mostly because I liked the look, and driving in the rain at night was a bit scary, to say the least.. That's just my experience with them though

As far as color temp goes, it's up to you. I personally like 5000k, myself.. Not as blue as 6000k+, whiter than 4300k, great light output still. My headlights' output is better than my brother's Lexus IS250's. lol

Thierry Ferdi 09-14-2017 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by GolNat (Post 4638965)
^ Morimoto Mini H1s are direct fit with the adapter rings that are provided. The harness is all plugs that are all labeled to tell you were everything goes. Longest part was finding somewhere to mount the ballasts and running the wires behind the bumper. No electrical skill required. The only thing that really tripped me out was putting the headlights in the oven for 7 minutes, but once you take them out they come apart like butter.

TRS has a complete retro setup, projectors, ballasts, bulbs, relay harness and headlight sealer for $280. You could even go cheaper if you got your HID kit from DDM Tuning and just did the Morimoto projectors. Save your money and research till you find what works best for you. Restoring the headlights and putting in some Sylvania Silver Stars might be all that you need.

Here are some pics from mine. I did a Mini H1 with mini gatling shroud in my OEM 01 headlights:

Attachment 93533

Attachment 93534

Attachment 93535

This was before doing headlight restoration

Attachment 93536

This is also before headlight restoration

Attachment 93537

After headlight restoration

Attachment 93538

Dont have a pic of the output after restoration but it is at least 30% brighter and the cutoff line is a lot better.

hi i just bought a civic fd2 and after one week the ring on my left headlight would light up very weakly any help? is it the wiring or a bulb i should change?

xRiCeBoYx 09-14-2017 11:30 PM

1) We don't have enough information regarding your setup to give you reliable advice.

2) I'd highly suggest making your own thread. Your question has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. You'll get better answers that way.