Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   HIDs and Retrofitting (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/264-hids-retrofitting)
-   -   H4 to H1 HID's with same ballasts (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/264-hids-retrofitting/342125-h4-h1-hids-same-ballasts.html)

kyle_l88 07-06-2011 02:14 PM

H4 to H1 HID's with same ballasts

Hey guys, I just need some help with HID lighting. I previously had H4 hid bulbs in a stock 2000 civic headlight setup. Now i have TYC projectors and I want to use the same ballasts. Now i know ballasts are sort of generic. I just need to look for 35Watt Xenon bulbs to match my 35Watt ballasts. The only thing I am unsure of is that the H4 setup had a sort of relay system that changed the H4 bulb for hi and low beams on the Xenon bulb system. Now can I just get the H1 Xenon bulbs and use them with the ballasts or do i need a new relay? I figured I'd just wire them up to the low beam selection of the H4 plug, sort of how they split the Hi/Low beams on the TYC's.

electric130 07-08-2011 08:41 AM

Re: H4 to H1 HID's with same ballasts

what was the high beam? halogen or HID?

kyle_l88 07-08-2011 09:43 AM

Well it was a Bixenon H4 bulb, but the ballasts were just regular ballasts. The only difference is that the custom relay had another connection that caused the bulb to shift position for the high beams. So basically it just diverted the current and moved the bulb from what i gather. But from the research i have done in the last day or so, i think I can just get a new relay and bulbs and it will work fine.

electric130 07-08-2011 09:44 AM

so you didn't have an additional bulb?

kyle_l88 07-08-2011 10:50 PM

that is a negative. Just one bulb. it shifts positions based on high or low beam, im guessing this changes the reflection angle. The custom relay with these bulbs had an additional connection that causes the bulb to shift when you flip the high beam switch.

electric130 07-09-2011 11:45 AM

probably have to get a new harness. unless the high beam side of the harness was pretty beefy just like the low beam side. but if all it was doing was driving a solenoid to reposition the bulb, i doubt the wires are very large. ideally, if you're going to go with a TYC setup, have a relay for highs and a relay for lows. that's what i did on my retro. that way you can run over wattage bulbs (i ran 100w high beams and the TYC's still sucked) or run HID highs.

kyle_l88 07-17-2011 04:26 PM

hmm interesting. i have some stock (well by stock i mean, some low end brand of H1 for hight beams) and i find they are really good at night. maybe im just less picky or have better night vision :P. Either way, most ppl said that stock bulbs really create shitty light output. But in my opinion the light output is good hahahaha. Guess its personal preference. Anyways thanks for the help. And for the ground kit i got from you as well.