Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   HIDs and Retrofitting (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/264-hids-retrofitting)
-   -   HID Illusionz (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/264-hids-retrofitting/341183-hid-illusionz.html)

maxtierney 05-26-2011 04:07 PM

HID Illusionz

2 Attachment(s)
Rich sent me a couple of in-progress pics of the new retrofits.

FX-35 Projectors
Black Minigun Shrouds
Denso Ballasts
Color Mod Lenses

Can't wait to intall! :rockon:

SpeedDownZone 05-26-2011 04:13 PM

Re: HID Illusionz

Love it. Look very beautiful. But hopefully that is not a blue drl or parking light whatever it called but looks awesome.

MindBomber 05-26-2011 04:20 PM

Retrofits are where it's at, PnP HIDs are for ricers.

Looking forward to seeing some cut off shots.

maxtierney 05-26-2011 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedDownZone (Post 4540331)
Love it. Look very beautiful. But hopefully that is not a blue drl or parking light whatever it called but looks awesome.

Thanks! Nah, that's just blue tape covering up the parking light hole.

maxtierney 05-26-2011 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 4540333)
Retrofits are where it's at, PnP HIDs are for ricers.

Looking forward to seeing some cut off shots.

I hear ya on that.

Any recommendations on the turn, parking and fog light bulbs?

Nokya, PIAA, etc?

gearbox 05-26-2011 05:16 PM

those look hot! for bulbs, unfortunately the recent japan disaster has affected supply for raybrig and polarg specialty bulbs so you are kinda out of luck for now. ive been trying to order spares for weeks and nobody has em in stock. for the amber part, you are stuck with regular clear 7443 bulb. for the park light, you can get a w5w wedge bulb which is nearly twice as bright as the stock 168 bulb.

sl33pyriceboi 05-26-2011 05:25 PM

damn they look good!

maxtierney 05-26-2011 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4540353)
those look hot! for bulbs, unfortunately the recent japan disaster has affected supply for raybrig and polarg specialty bulbs so you are kinda out of luck for now. ive been trying to order spares for weeks and nobody has em in stock. for the amber part, you are stuck with regular clear 7443 bulb. for the park light, you can get a w5w wedge bulb which is nearly twice as bright as the stock 168 bulb.

Thanks. Bummer. Hopefully, Japan can get back on it's feet. It'll be a while...

maxtierney 05-26-2011 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi (Post 4540358)
damn they look good!

Thanks! Rich is Da Man! He deserves all the props.

I wanted to do someting a little different / aggressive. Opted to paint the shrouds black. He said the pictures don't do 'em justice. They look better in person.

I'm stoked! Can't wait.

Shift-E 05-26-2011 06:26 PM

That looks freaking SICK! Didn't think black shrouds in a chrome reflector would look that nice!

Are those black ebay headlights? Or painted OEMs? if theyre the ebay ones the I've got the same ones and am retrofitting Minis in them now :D Just finished laying down the LED strips on them. Wanted to add a personnel touch ;)
Probably clean everything and will seal them back up tomorrow. Build my wiring harness and install/aim on the weekend!

maxtierney 05-26-2011 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Shift-E (Post 4540372)
That looks freaking SICK! Didn't think black shrouds in a chrome reflector would look that nice!

Are those black ebay headlights? Or painted OEMs? if theyre the ebay ones the I've got the same ones and am retrofitting Minis in them now :D Just finished laying down the LED strips on them. Wanted to add a personnel touch ;)
Probably clean everything and will seal them back up tomorrow. Build my wiring harness and install/aim on the weekend!

Thanks, bro. I was worried about how they would turn out too. Came out better than expected. They're painted OEMs. I did my first ones. Never again. Glad to sit back and have someone else do the work, this time.

Good job on your retros. Make sure you post up some pics. I feel ya on personalization. Everything for 7th gens has been there, done that. Haha.

Shift-E 05-26-2011 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by maxtierney (Post 4540384)
Thanks, bro. I was worried about how they would turn out too. Came out better than expected. They're painted OEMs. I did my first ones. Never again. Glad to sit back and have someone else do the work, this time.

Good job on your retros. Make sure you post up some pics. I feel ya on personalization. Everything for 7th gens has been there, done that. Haha.

I know that I'll probably not do it again! Lol. It's taking so much longer then it should have :P

How much does it usually run you to get someone else to do a basic job? I don't know of any retro fitters here in Canada though.

EDIT: seems like there are some guys in toronto (like 5-6 hours away) that might be able to retro.. Maybe next time, If i decide to do anything that isn't plug and play like Mini's

maxtierney 05-26-2011 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Shift-E (Post 4540386)
I know that I'll probably not do it again! Lol. It's taking so much longer then it should have :P

How much does it usually run you to get someone else to do a basic job? I don't know of any retro fitters here in Canada though.

EDIT: seems like there are some guys in toronto (like 5-6 hours away) that might be able to retro.. Maybe next time, If i decide to do anything that isn't plug and play like Mini's

HID Illusionz (The best in the business, IMHO), starts at about $600 for a total retrofit (paint, projectors, etc), about $800 for plug and play (ballasts, harness, etc) - plus shipping. Give or take $$$ for OEM or aftermarket preferences. Other places like Black Flame Customs are comparable, but you add a lot with their ala carte services. Rich (of HID Illusionz) charges a flat labor rate of $300. If you provide your own parts, it will be a whole lot cheaper. He's done hundreds of these and can literally crack your headlights open, have it painted and sealed in less than an hour. SERIOUSLY.

I started with brand new OEM Headlights, shipped it, told him what I wanted, he got it done in a matter of hours. He expedited mine because my car is going to paint on Tuesday.

I wanted to get my foglights done also, but my bodyshop needed them to custom fab a bracket/housing to fit the OEM fogs into a Tsunami Bumper. Wanted it done in carbon fiber, but that was way beyond my budget.

Saving some money by wiring in the OEM fog harness, myself. Anyone have any pointers?

gearbox 05-26-2011 09:42 PM

oem fogs wire just like hids with a relay and wiring from the battery. you can use the same wire diagram except for the trigger you can either run it to a switch or the park lights. im sure youve seen my hid wire diagram somewhere. its the same for the fogs except in place of the hid ballasts, you have the fog light bulbs. good choice going with new headlamp housings. nothing worse than having a retro done in a used housing with crappy front lens. you are gonna love the fx projectors.

maxtierney 05-26-2011 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by gearbox (Post 4540401)
oem fogs wire just like hids with a relay and wiring from the battery. you can use the same wire diagram except for the trigger you can either run it to a switch or the park lights. im sure youve seen my hid wire diagram somewhere. its the same for the fogs except in place of the hid ballasts, you have the fog light bulbs. good choice going with new headlamp housings. nothing worse than having a retro done in a used housing with crappy front lens. you are gonna love the fx projectors.

Thanks for the tips! Will definately use it.

I don't know how people will spend all the money and/or time on old headlights. I know they can be "revitalized", but only to a point.

You were right about Polarg and Raybrig. Google'd 'em, lots of places were out of stock. Any advice on H11s? I read your old post on the Nokya Yellows. I found some Stage 1s, but wasn't sure if I needed the harness or not.

gearbox 05-26-2011 10:41 PM

H11 bulbs if you want yellow, stick with luminics. they are stock 55w and very nice. for even more light, see if they have an h9 version which is nearly 2x brighter at 65w (2100 lumen instead of 1250 lumen). takes a small modification to the h9 bulb base to fit the h11 hole. if you dont care about brightness as much and want a rich lexus yellow, go with 35w h8 bulbs (900 lumens). those are a direct fit to h11 no mods required.

maxtierney 05-26-2011 11:04 PM

Thanks!

electric130 05-31-2011 07:43 PM

look great! can't wait to see them on the car and some wall shots!