Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/237-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum)
-   -   '94 VX won't start. Dink-Donk noise (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/237-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/379311-94-vx-wont-start-dink-donk-noise.html)

alaskanaking 03-10-2020 05:41 PM

'94 VX won't start. Dink-Donk noise

When I turn the key in the ignition, all that happens is a fairly loud dink donk noise that sounds like it is coming from the dash behind the steering column, or maybe on the other side of the firewall. The noise just happens once. If I turn the key off and back on, I again hear a single dink donk. The engine doesn't turn over. The car ran fine when I turned it off the day before, but it has been intermittently cutting out, once in a while, the past few weeks. That may not be related. Also, my battery is 12 years old (I know, crazy) but has been fine. I bought the car new in 1994. It refuses to die. Anyone recognize this sound? Thanks from Alaska!

mac25 03-11-2020 12:36 PM

Re: '94 VX won't start. Dink-Donk noise

-make sure battery connections are tight
-make sure grounds are free of corrosion
-cheack related fuses and relays

-try jumping the car

does the starter activate? Does the car start?

do the steps above, if everything works enjoy; if there are more issues report back.

ps: audio clip would be easier to understand.

alaskanaking 03-11-2020 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mac25 (Post 4773496)
-make sure battery connections are tight
-make sure grounds are free of corrosion
-cheack related fuses and relays

-try jumping the car

does the starter activate? Does the car start?

do the steps above, if everything works enjoy; if there are more issues report back.

ps: audio clip would be easier to understand.

Jump starting didn't do anything. Starter doesn't activate. All I get are these clicks. Each time I turn the key on I get two clicks. Here is an audio file. I turned the key on about 13 times in this audio clip. Hope it loads OK, I'm not good at audio files, etc. Thanks.

mac25 03-13-2020 11:34 AM

If you're not hearing the starter than either the starter is dead or there is no power to it.

In this case I'd suspect a fuse or relay. How's the main fuse?

If it's not the main fuse you will need to check all related components in the starter circuit.

-the circuit diagram can be found in a Haynes manual if you cant find it online.

alaskanaking 03-15-2020 02:12 PM

All fuses OK.

alaskanaking 05-28-2020 11:25 PM

I solved the problem. It needed a new battery!!!! I didn't think that was the problem because trying to start the car with one of those battery-pack jumpers did not work. I had used that jumper battery on a Highlander a week earlier and it worked fine, and it was fully charged. So I assumed a weak battery was not causing the problem. I was wrong.